icon

03 silverado alarm, rs problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bvic01 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2007 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, I had an autopage rs-1000 alarm and remote start installed in my 2003 silverado pickup today. Alarm works fine, remote start works fine. Im driving it home from the shop (about 45 minutes away) and about 15 minutes from my house the check engine light comes on and the engine dies on the highway. I pull over restart the engine and continue on. Well now the doors lock and unlock by themselves along with the dome lights coming on one of the times periodically as Im driving. There was also a chime coming from the door chimes. The manual states this is normal for the check engine lights i was getting. Im still not home at this point. The engine dies a few more times. At one point I got an airbag warning, at another point i got brake warning lights, all of which disappeared after i re-started the engine. I never had ANY problems before I got this installed, obviously it's something with the alarm system. I can't call the shop now cause they're closed, but Im calling first thing in the morning. The installer has been installing alarms for 15 years and works for a reputable shop so Im confident in his abilities. Is there anything obvious that I could do myself to fix this? Im very nervous about how to get my truck back to the shop since it's so far away not knowing if it's gonna die on me on the highway again. Anybody have any clue what could be wrong?
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 21, 2007 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
What ever you do..... DO NOT touch the truck yourself. Period. Let the installer/shop tow the truck (you really shouldn't drive it, even if you can) it's not safe.
bvic01 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2007 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
KarTuneMan wrote:
What ever you do..... DO NOT touch the truck yourself. Period. Let the installer/shop tow the truck (you really shouldn't drive it, even if you can) it's not safe.
ok, that's what i figured, im not gonna go messin with it, but id like to know what could be causing this. Have you ever heard of this type of behavior before?
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2007 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  

that is some serious problems from a remote start!. take it back, the shop covers lifetime warrenty on installs, so they should fix it @ all cost. Hope they have insurance.

KarTuneMan 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 21, 2007 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  

I would say, don't worry about what you, or I , or us, think is the problem.... it rerally does not matter.

It is a major malfunction.... for sure. It could be a multitude of errors on the  installers part, as well as some

product failure......it's really too hard to say.  Your symptoms point towards BOTH.

bvic01 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2007 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
tedmond wrote:

that is some serious problems from a remote start!. take it back, the shop covers lifetime warrenty on installs, so they should fix it @ all cost. Hope they have insurance.

oh they're sure as hell gonna pay for all extra costs related to this. i have a good family friend that's a lawyer who has already offered his services should i have any troubles. I doubt i will as it is a reputable shop, BUT it's nice to have that behind me. As far as the problems go, i imagine it has something to do with the ignition. The cycling locks could be due to the lock/unlock in sync with the ignition which is a fature of the alarm, and as far as the engine dying, if it was an ignition problem, that would make sense as to why it would die at times and simply cut off for a second at others. i hope this gets worked out tomorrow, but i doubt it as the installer that did my truck doesn't work weekends. Maybe one of the other techs can look it over. At this point im leaning toward ignition problem. Im very good with electronics and vehicles and usually do my own work but i decided to go with a professional for my alarm and rmeote start so i could get it done right. That backfired. I did my radio, speakers, and subs all myself, and i guess that's why i was so keen on possibly fixing the issue myself. only problem is i don't have any clue where all his wiring is hooked up and he hid th ebrain damn well. I can se no wiring for the alarm under the steering column and he even hid the siren behind my headlight so you cant even tell there's an alarm if you look under the hood. im so frustrated right now that it's ridiculous. Oh well. Anybody have any input on my ignition theory?
ralphtonka 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2007 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  

if you can find the bypass mod (type or model should be listed on your bill), small black box 2"*3"*1" may have red led that comes on or flashes when you hit lock on new remote, unplug it. DO NOT USE STARTER/ALARM, start truck w/ key check ops.

Sounds like a bad mod or connector.

techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2007 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  
Could also be a bad ground or loose connection. Which all should be covered under some warranty.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
KarTuneMan 
Posted: December 21, 2007 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  
As suggested before.......DON"T touch it.   Don't even take the bottom of the dash down. Don't look for a bad ground. Don't look for the bypass. If you're a gambling man, go for it.... I would play it safe, unless you NEED to drive it and have no alternative!      If this is an example of the skill and quality of the joint you paid good money for a professional job, you can bet your butt they will look for a reason it's not their fault.  Please man, you don't want to end up like mabuffalo (remember that guy and his woes?) 
bvic01 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2007 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  
managed to get it back to the shop this morning. They didn't act like this was anything unusual which could be good or bad. If they've seen it before oculd mean an easy fix, if they have seen it alot that means they need a better installer which i highly doubt. Possibly a faulty alarm? I may just have them switch it out for a clifford. we'll see. Thanks for all the input.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic