icon

2008 legacy remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2008 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  
Replied to your PM, then noticed your post here. I'll copy my PM.
I used a fuel injector wire.
The ECM is under the carpet below the passenger's feet. Unfortunately, the description is not too clear on tech sheets.
Check here:   http://www.northursalia.com/modifications/misc/wiring/wiring.html
You will find wiring diagrams for recent Subarus there near the bottom of the page. The Legacy will have the same ECU as either the Imprezza or Forester. Check to see how many plugs the ECU has (4 or 5) and then find a diagram with the same amount of plugs. Look for one of the 4 fuel injector wires listed, and then get out the meter to confirm. I've done tons of Subarus, unfortunately I don't remember what wire I used on my mother's car.
Getting to the fuel injector wires under the hood is not easy because they are on the side of the engine.
derekrobi 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2008 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you JWorm, I sent you another PM, I'll try to locate the ECU below the carpet but if I can get to the engine I may do that to use an injector wire in the engine bay.  Being a boxter engine, yes the injectors are hard to find/reach
derekrobi 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2008 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  
Okay - just posting incase anybody needs this info - on the 08 Legacy, when you get to the ECU (under the passenger carpet at their feet - thank you JWorm for helping me get to it) and remove the metal plate that covers it, the injector wires are on the 2nd plug down (assuming it is a 4 plug ECU) and the only plug that has 6 pins in the top row, all the others should have 7 pins.  the RED / WHITE wire is the easiest to access because it has an empty spot on 1 side, it reads 10-13 volts when the key is ON and 14 when car is running.  Careful because there isn't much slack to work with, don't accidently CUT the wire like I did.
derekrobi 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2008 at 8:09 AM / IP Logged  
Alright, so the R/S took approx 10 times to fire up and run this morning - anybody had this issue before? I re-learned the tach and it works fine all day, but once it sits overnight it runs into issues with starting...
derekrobi 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2008 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  

So I've done a lot of reading on here about vehicles not starting in the cold, and my car doesn't follow the same behaviors.  I have an 08 Legacy and using a 556U and 2W900FMR Compustar... Unfortunately my vehicle doesn't have a Second Starter which I've read can be wired up in most vehicles to help with cold starts.  I am going to change the crank settings to make it crank a little longer (using the setting that judges by the car's resting voltage) but I'm not 100% confident that will fix it.  What my car does (during it's 3 attempts when R/Sing the car) first attempt, cranks and doesn't start - second attempt, cranks, runs, dies in about 3 seconds - third attempt, cranks, runs, dies in about 3 seconds - now I know it sounds like a bypass issue - so at the advice of JWorm I have stuck the key in the ignition in the "OFF" position but the car still acts this way, so that should eliminate the bypass as the main issue (could still be an issue, but the car should R/S with the key in the ignition) - the catch is, if I drive the car and it warms up - the car R/S's PERFECTLY first time, every time.  Only when it gets cold (anything over an hour or so of it sitting there) will it act like this...

This probably is a dumb question, but has anybody used the 2nd Starter wire and tied it into the Starter wire to act as if the vehicle has a 2nd starter?  Or any other solution?

peterubers 
Silver - Posts: 706
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2008 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  

Ok... i can clearly see that you've done your homework, here's a few questions, hopefully a solution:

1) when you attempted to isolate the bypass as the culprit, you placed the key in the ignition barrel and remote started the vehicle -- did you disconnect the bypass at that time? B/c if you don't it's still reading the code from the bypass (which may be too cold to function properly) rather than the room temp factory key signal....

2) have you re-adjusted the cylinder ring from the 556U? 

3) What are you currently using: voltage sensing or tach sensing?

Does the car ever seem to overcrank even by a split second even during warm starts?  The second starter wire is not going to solve your problem because you do not have an OEM second starter wire ... this is a bypass issue and/or a tach-sensing issue.

The search function is your friend.
usabuilt 
Copper - Posts: 161
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2008 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds like you should connect the tach wire and program it for tach instead of tachless, its the best way to remote start a vehicle..besides the only reason why most installers go tachless is because they want to get the job done faster, seeing that its your own car, speed of installation should not be an issue.
brcidd 
Copper - Posts: 274
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2008 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  

I think the key to your problem is the "run for 3 seconds element"  this sounds like the R/S does not recognize the car is started and is turning the ignition off so it can try again, and again the third time..  which would clearly be a voltage sense issue (if you are running tachless).  Some vehicles keep the alternator "offline" in really cold weather until the engine settles down- then bring it "online" slowly-- yours may be one of these-- and the R/S sees this lack of voltage rise as a "no-start" condition.....

been  there- done that on Trailblazers and Envoys.....    Try a tach wire if you haven't already......

Brcidd - Engineer That Does Remote Starter Installs on the side.
derekrobi 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2008 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  

Hey thanks Peter - in response: 1) No, I did not disconnect the bypass, but could do this if necessary, if I understand you right - you think it may be reading a junky signal rather than a good one from the key, makes sense...  2)The ring of the 556U is literally in a perfect spot, I dont see it fitting anywhere else but could try messing with it if necessary... 3) I am using voltage sensing with Tach (which I got from the ECU, metered it, etc), if I HAD to, I could go to the engine bay and grab the alternator, I had to do this on my wife's 06 Civic when I did an R/S in her car last week... Car doesn't over crank (not long enough to notice anyway, I'm sure its just about right) ---- And yes, I figured the 2nd started wouldn't work but didn't know if anybody had done it before as an "unrecommended" fix...

UPDATE: what I did just a few minutes ago was change some of the option menu settings - I changed it so it adds additional milliseconds if the voltage reading is low - the car was sitting in the cold for about 5 hours and I R/S'd the car and it WORKED.  So - this "fix" is still subject to testing.  We will see tonight when I go out to my car leaving work and then again tomorrow morning but I'll post back with results/questions... THANKS PETERUBERS

derekrobi 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2008 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  
And I must not have mentioned it, but, yes I did wire up the tach wire and it learned it without issue...
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic