remote start crank only viper

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jonb2 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2008 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
Hello,
In the process of installing Hornet 564t (Viper) and having a problem with remote start. Have everything hooked up but everytime I try to remote start, my vehicle (2000 4runner) turns over for a couple seconds but will not start. It does this several times as the alarm tries to restart again. I have programmed the Tach learn and it appears to be working correctly.
Next I put key in ignition (off position) and tried remote start...same thing crank only
Next I turned key to acc position and tried remote start..same thing crank only.
Finally I turned key to on postion and tried remote start...This time it started right up!
So any idea what's going on here? I'm stumped and frustrated and really want to solve this problem without taking it into alarm shop if possible. thank you.Jon
labe0202 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2008 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  
Check your ignition or accessory wires, something is not getting powered that needs to be.  Maybe you missed a wire, or one of the wires was cold-soldered.
another-kelly 
Silver - Posts: 618
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2008 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  
you've got the following wires connected correctly?
Ignition 1      BLACK/ RED       (+)     IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS          
Ignition 2      BLACK / YELLOW    (+)     IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS          
Accessory 1     BLUE/RED        (+)     IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS          
Starter 1       GREEN/ BLACK     (+)     IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2008 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
anti theft light on dash possibly. Did you see a ring around ignition key cylinder? It is an RF based transponder and will need a bypass if that is the case.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
jonb2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2008 at 12:39 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the responses...I think that maybe the ignition wires are reversed as mentioned. I hooked up the BLACK / YELLOW as ignition 1 and BLACK/ Red as ignition 2 because the Toyota wiring diagram showed B/Y as ig1 and B/R as Ig2 but that might not mean the same thing for alarm hookups. I will switch the wires in the morning and see if that makes any difference.
I don't believe it needs a bypass as I had a regular spare key made at home depot a couple weeks ago and it starts up the truck just fine. To my knowledge there is no other antitheft on the vehicle--just keyless entry.
thanks for the help,Jon
jonb2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2008 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
Well I switched the two ignition wires and it was like a miracle! Everything worked perfectly. I still am not sure how you know which wire was the primary and which was the secondary ignition but I'm really happy now that my first install is complete and successful..
I have to give credit to all the professional installers who really know their stuff. This was a difficult install for me with a few problems along the way but all worked out ok with the help of some great advice on this forum. Thanks again,Jon
jonb2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2008 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  

Well I guess I spoke a little too soon!

Everything works fine except the climate control. On remote start, the blower motor will not turn on. The radio turns on fine but the heater will not. I connected acc wire (orange) on alarm to blue wire at ignition switch. Any ideas?

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 14, 2008 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  

Ignition wires are identified as wires that are 12vdc when the key is in the "on" and "crank" position

Accessory wires are identified as wires that are 12vdc when the key is in the "on" position ONLY.  They will read 0vdc in the "crank" position.

There is no 'primary' or 'secondary' wires - ignition 1 and ignition 2, and so on are all of equal importance and you need to make sure ALL ignition wires are receiving 12vdc during the crank portion of starting.  You can usually get away with wiring a accessory as an igntion wire but you can rarely get away with wiring an igniton wire as an accessory.

For your climate control, you most likely missed an accessory wire. 

The BEST way to find the correct wires is with a volt meter.  There are only a handful of wires going to the ignition switch - check each one. 

Kevin Pierson
jonb2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2008 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the response..

The climate control works fine under normal driving conditions. However,on remote start, there is no heat if I turn on the blower switch. Also the gauges, speedometer, odometer, etc do not turn on when in remote start. Now when I put the key in, turn it to the on position (vehicle still on remote start) --the gauges turn on as they should and the blower works fine. That sounds really strange??

I know the ignition wires are hooked up correctly because I already messed that up yesterday by reversing the connections and the engine would not start. Now it starts up fine. The radio turns on on remote start up so I would think the orange accessory wire is hooked up correctly.

Any ideas. thank you

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 14, 2008 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  

Thats strange, switching your ign 1 and your ign 2 shouldn't have any effect.  I would make sure both ign 1 and ign 2 are actually getting power during crank and start.  You could have a bad relay or something.

A test you could do is turn the key to the "ON" positon.  Turn the blower on so air is blowing out.  Now, crank the car and see if the blower stops working while the starter is cranking.  If it doesn't blow air while cranking there is an accessory wire you need (there could be more then one), if it still blows air then you need to check your igniton wires (there could be 3).

Kevin Pierson
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic