icon

powering 2 alpine type rs4 ohm dvc

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wolf56 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2008 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  
yeah, i didnt have that kind of money, barely had $200, may actually have spent money i needed, but i bought a hifonics brutus 1606d for $179 off ebay, it puts out 1600x1 at 1-ohm, and its 2/3 of the way turned up and powering the type-rs perfect, may get pics of my setup, but not until its warmer and i can clean my interior
previous owner of the golf worked at a family business of construction, so theres dust in places i didnt know exist
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 12, 2008 at 2:48 AM / IP Logged  
rboutin2 wrote:
I personally have two 12" type r's, and i am powering them with a very nice alpine amp, an MRD-M1005. I got it off amazon for like $350.00. It pushes out 1000 rms. My r's are dual 4 ohms. I would greatly recommend this amp. I have had no porblem with it at all, and I dont even have it turned up halfway and the r's hurt the ears after a few minutes.
how far the gain is turned up has no relevance to how much power it is putting out.
An amp could put out full power with the gain all the way down...it just depends on the input voltage.
n2audio 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2008 at 8:15 AM / IP Logged  

aznboi3644 wrote:
how far the gain is turned up has no relevance to how much power it is putting out.
An amp could put out full power with the gain all the way down...it just depends on the input voltage.

The first scentence is false.  I'm pretty sure we both know that.

The 2nd scentence - theoretically, yes, but the amp in question has a sensitivity range of 0.1v to 8v, so unless the HU is a very rare, high end 8v unit the amp would not approach rated power with the sensitivity at 8v.

My point is just that the gain is absolutely relevant in the power the amp produces, and critical in keeping clipping to a minimum which will help contribute to long speaker life.

wolf56 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2008 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged  
ive got the lvl on the amp set to about 2 volts or so.the eq is 1/2 way up, and i leave the bass knob at about 2/3. im still adjusting the subsonic/low pass filters, i believe their getting around 1000watts, or more/less, their loud enough to make my ears hurt and mirrors useless, and im worried about the rear window their next to
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 12, 2008 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
It may be false to you...have you ever heard of a line driver??
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2008 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  

rboutin2 wrote:
I have had no porblem with it at all, and I dont even have it turned up halfway and the r's hurt the ears after a few minutes.

I wish I had that problem.  What kinda vehicle is this system in?

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
n2audio 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2008 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  

aznboi3644 wrote:
It may be false to you...have you ever heard of a line driver??

uh, yeah.

but I don't know why you would bring something into the discussion that had nothing to do with the topic...oh wait, yes I do - because you were wrong and that's the best thing you can come up with in an effort to support your assertion.

noobgalore 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2008 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  

why do so many ppl think the gain knob is a volume control the gain knob should be adjusted to the volts your head unit puts out. end of story

wolf56 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2008 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  
sedate wrote:

rboutin2 wrote:
I have had no porblem with it at all, and I dont even have it turned up halfway and the r's hurt the ears after a few minutes.

I wish I had that problem. What kinda vehicle is this system in?

system is in a 97 vw golf trek, so its all open air, no trunk or nothing, plus their in a ported box facing upwards, looks wicked, subs are perfectly level with my back seat
noobgalore wrote:

why do so many ppl think the gain knob is a volume control the gain knob should be adjusted to the volts your head unit puts out. end of story

my deck has a 2-volt preamp voltage, and the amps level is set to 2 volts, low-pass is around 80hz, subsonic is 25ish, bass eq is 1/2 about, i leave the remote bass knob around 2/3
i believe its all set right, sounds clean and extremely nice
i need crossovers for my 6.5"s though, they get unbearably distorted at highervolumes
rboutin2 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2008 at 2:56 AM / IP Logged  
sedate wrote:

rboutin2 wrote:

I wish I had that problem.  What kinda vehicle is this system in?

A 1992 Chevy Cavalier check it out on cardomain sometime. The name of the page is way too loud, but only cuz i used to have two 15" treo's in the trunk.

Disturbin' Tha Peace
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic