Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2008 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  
ha, thought the question was directed at me, meh
wolf56 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2008 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  
can anyone recommend a crossover, i found a pair on ebay for $13 ish, seem like a cheap brand though, but my 6.5's get distrorted from the bass at higher lvls, and alpine doesnt have a built in hi-pass, and if i turn the bass down it affects the subs, but still doesnt sound right, i had these before, but they were ran from a pioneer deck...
should i deal with it, or try to get a crossover? i dont need any bass coming from my 6.5"s, they are PIONEER TS-A1672R 6.5" 3-WAY speakers
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 14, 2008 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  
make your own with the the linky on the lefty about passive crossovers
wolf56 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2008 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  
o, tight, kool, ty
also, on a WAY worse note
i fried the brutus this last weekend, we've no idea why it fried, but it was playing white girl(young jeezy), and a minute into the song the amp made a loud POP, went into protection, and started smoking
its still under warranty, BUT im still bewildered why it fried... it should have blown the subs before the amp fried, everything was set right, wired right, and well... were clueless, my friend had this happen to his, but from other reviews online this isnt a issue... im confused
amp still lights up, but wreaks of burnt circuitry, and doesnt put out any sound
im sending it back within the week and getting it exchanged
aznboi3644 
Posted: February 19, 2008 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
what was your voltage at the amp terminals with the system full tilt
wolf56 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2008 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  
ive no idea, about 14 i think, from what the cap usually stays at
wolf56 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  
im confused on the the passive crossover
the 6.5"s are all 4-ohm, i understand that i need a 4-ohm capacitor for them then, but ive no idea from that point(the size of capacitor, or how to wire it(i believe in line with the +))
i took a semester of electronics in 11th grade, i understand the concept somewhat, but im confused
aznboi3644 
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged  
Are you going for a first order or second order slope??
wolf56 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  
aznboi3644 wrote:
Are you going for a first order or second order slope??
thats a part i dont undertsand, im just trying to make my 6.5"s play the highs, they get really distorted from bass, but ive no idea bout 1st/2nd order slopes or anything of that sort
still learning atm
n2audio 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  

wolf56 wrote:
can anyone recommend a crossover, i found a pair on ebay for $13 ish, seem like a cheap brand though, but my 6.5's get distrorted from the bass at higher lvls, and alpine doesnt have a built in hi-pass, and if i turn the bass down it affects the subs, but still doesnt sound right, i had these before, but they were ran from a pioneer deck...
should i deal with it, or try to get a crossover? i dont need any bass coming from my 6.5"s, they are PIONEER TS-A1672R 6.5" 3-WAY speakers

Are the 6.5's being run by an amp or straight off the HU?

You can get a decent used 2 ch amp with a built in crossover for $50-$60 shipped - which you really need to have any chance at all of your fronts blending in with the amount of bass you have, but if you're set on HU power and some bass blockers (caps)  I'd suggest something around 100hz.

There's a pair of 150's on ebay for $6 shipped.

Or if you want to shop for your own you're looking for something between 300 and 400 microfarads (uF)

The 1st order/2nd order is just a reference to how abrubptly  the crossover filters out the unwanted frequencies below the crossover point - in other words - how steep the slope is.

1st order = 6dB/octave, 2nd order 12dB/octave, 3rd order 18, 4th order 24.  It really just equates to "control", but if you just want to protect your speakers from bass a cap will work fine.

Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic