icon

first fg project

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
joyrydn 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2008 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  

Well, so for so good. one thing you may have wanted to do in the layup process is to have fabricated your sub openings in first and a spot for your amp.  but it looks really good so far, you do have the fg touch so ya know.  i have seen alot of low end first time projects, but if you keep up that good work, you will have alot less sanding to do. you should prolly do about 6+ layers tho. i know you said you didnt want window rattling bass, but if its too thin, it will rattle itself.  looks good tho keep up on the pics i wanna see it finished, i know it takes time too. so we'll be watchin.

Make it Euro'n!!!
yearmax416 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2008 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged  

Hello all ,

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.  bellsracer,  fitmet is really good. I have been adding to the inside but over all it fits really good. Almost factory if I my say so .. lol...

joyrydn , As for the sub enclosure I have not yet decided on how to angle the subs yet and I wanted to make sure that I was going to get a good mold before going all out. Thanks for the complement . As for the layers I see what you mean so I guess I will be going back to the store for more mat. I am going to start on the enclousre part and amp hopefully this weekend. I am going to look at an amp Saturday. Once I have that I can place everything out and start building from there . Once it warms up a bit and I can work outside I will finish up with the sanding and finishing touches.

The hardest part right now is tryng to figure out a mounting method for it. I have some ideas so will see.

bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2008 at 12:23 AM / IP Logged  

And we await your result(s). My prayers are with you.

Ganbatte ne!

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
yearmax416 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2008 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  
bellsracer wrote:

And we await your result(s). My prayers are with you.

Ganbatte ne!

Now I am worried if you are prying for me. lol .. This project is addicting .. I seem to always be in the garage now and the wife is feeling a bit left out.. She is very supportive thou so that is a good thing.. I started on the placement of the rings last night wso I am waiting on the amp and I will get some pictures up then. Thanks again for everyones support..

I will try to get some pictures of my mounting idea up too.

bellsracer 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2008 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  

Don't say that. Consider getting her involved with the project as well and maybe even work together on a project for her car. That is how I got started. My sweetie asked if I wanted to join him on a project and we haven't stopped since.

.  ^-^ v

I love to see projects come together. It's the modern artist's canvas. So my prayers are a good thing. Be worried if I say "Heaven help you" >.<

yearmax416 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2008 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  

Well bellsracer you just surprised me.. No offence but I had no idea that you were a women. either way I am happy to see that there are ladys getting more involved and vocal. Thnaks for the prayers. As for the wife... She does get involved some. I run alot of my thoughts by her and she tends to make sence of them for me. She has a way of telling me if they are stupid or not only like a wife can .. lol

Anyway she is just as excited to see the truck done as I am .. Thanks again ..

yearmax416 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2008 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  

Ok I have a question .. If I make the enclousre a bit smaller than recommended would I still get good sound out of it? Also what is the best materail to use to wrap it with ?

joyrydn 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2008 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  

hey everyone, wow gone for 3 days and i missed alot.  your best bet always is to use a stretchy fleece.  pull it really tight, you dont want it to sag when you add resin. then do about 6+ layers on that(this is why i stated to lay it all up right away) makes it a bit easier.  now you will have 2 different layers/ enclosures.  you would benefit from making the outer layer now that you have the hang of it. with the sub and amp layout, you can mount the panel on the door and before tightening it down, run a line of silicon around the panel and let sit 24 hours, this will seal the enclosure. take into concideration a roll down rear window.  make sure it air tight.  my 1st project was a bit of a flop.  i fg my a pillars, and the passenger side i started first. i never took into cincideration it sagging on me and it was an 1/8 inch too big and i started that one over.  another option is to scuff up the panel u made and build off of it, because i know starting over sux. i hope im not being too preachy, just i learned alot from my screw ups.  as far as space goes, it will always sound better and hit harder with more space, but if you go with a higher output sub like a low pro sub, it will hit harder to begin with. i dont want any1 to think poor of me, i am opinionated a bit, ask the wife.

As far as your wife goes, make sure she's not too left out.  i speak from experience here man.  my wife hates the time i spend on my truck, so i take a break here and there. i try to get her involved, but she doesnt get as excited bout these things like we all do.

and bellsracer, i too am shocked that u are a woman, no offense.  it sure is nice to have the females showing a passion for the auto scene tho.  nice to have you here. for a while there, i was thinking all us guys were alone.  nothing bad on ur part either.  i guess we are all guilty of stereo typing a bit.  sorry for that. 

Make it Euro'n!!!
bellsracer 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2008 at 12:30 AM / IP Logged  

T-T ... Just because I am in the Mobile Entertainment world, that automatically makes me a man?!? WAH! You all are mean!!! INSTALLER_MSS is the only really nice guy (save for the mods hehe ^-^)

Just kidding ^-^ v

Ok joking aside: Well if you make the enclosure smaller than recommended, you'll end up loading harder on the sub which will increase the power handling and make the sub more precise, but it will sacrifice the output. You can recover some of the boom by using polyfil inside the enclosure, but a sub outside of recommended specs will change from the primary intention of sound, but there is a possibility if can gain a result that is stable for the sub but may not provide the best performance.

As for wrapping it, I am assuming you mean final skinning and finish?

If you are using carpet, best to use not backed carpet for easiest use and in many cases a semi-"factory" look to it. Surface prep for underneath carpet isn't TOO crucial, but large blemishes may show up under carpet.
If you are using Vinyl, get 4-way stretch as much as possible, over curves and other surfaces, trust me, even a beginner will be able to skin like a pro with 4-way. Surface prep is more important here and any joining areas such as FG to wood must be very smooth (almost to the point you can't feel it really) even slight flaws may show up in vinyl.
If using cloth, that will vary a LOT from each type. I've used Cotton, Polyester, and even Lace and each one had different molding and curving properties. Surface prep will vary a lot so this area is more of a trial and error zone.

Anything else?

Ganbatte ne!

yearmax416 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2008 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  

Well thanks for all the advised. As for the layers and doing all in one shot instead of going back afterwards I know what you mean joyrydn but at the time I was not sure how things were going to come out so I did not buy enough. Anyway I will be adding all the layers and doing some sanding and things like that this weekend I hope. I still have a bit to go on it but I guess there is no rush if I want to come out right . I really don't want to build off of the factory panel. I want to keep the factory on for the off chance I go back to a factory look or trade in the truck ..

As for the space issue I am not that far off from the recommended spec so I don't think it will be a big issue. Bellsracer I am not going to be wraping it with carpet or anything like that I want to paint it the color of the truck so I guess I would be using cotton or something like that. The wife gave me a bed sheet to use .. Not sure if that was to sleep out in the garage or to cover the enclousre...lol No  it is for the enclousre but I don't know if that is going to work or not. I guess this is my trial and error zone huh ...

As for the polyfil would I just add some to the enclousre and that will make it seem bigger ?

Anyway I will have some pic's coming soon .. Thanks again for all your help and support .

Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic