icon

first fg project

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
joyrydn 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2008 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  

Quote:                             (As for the space issue I am not that far off from the recommended spec so I don't think it will be a big issue. Bellsracer I am not going to be wraping it with carpet or anything like that I want to paint it the color of the truck so I guess I would be using cotton or something like that. The wife gave me a bed sheet to use .. Not sure if that was to sleep out in the garage or to cover the enclousre...)

Ok now that really made me LOL!  thanks man.  and no dont use a sheet, it wont stretch like u want.  you really want to use a stretchy fleece, i went to walmart and bought like 12 yards to do all my interior fg with and that 12 yards only ran me $18.00.  u cant go wrong there.  it stretches tight and holds a nice shape. then add resin, matting and so on.  And what i meant for the build off was off the fg panel you made, not the factory panel.  this will seal it all nicely, but i would utilize the space in the door for more air space.  i say this because my earthquake sws' needed more space than the first box i build, so i went back to my shop and cut and made bigger. smaller air space took alot of the BOOM away i was looking for . now with the bigger box, my neighbor yelled cause i knocked her picture off the wall. that made me happy, when the wife came out and said the neighbor was yelling at me and never even heard her. whether it did fall i doubt it, but its loud just the same.  so use fleece and more space buddy.

p.s. get us some pics man!

Make it Euro'n!!!
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2008 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
yearmax416 wrote:
 ~snip~

As for the space issue I am not that far off from the recommended spec so I don't think it will be a big issue. Bellsracer I am not going to be wraping it with carpet or anything like that I want to paint it the color of the truck so I guess I would be using cotton or something like that. The wife gave me a bed sheet to use .. Not sure if that was to sleep out in the garage or to cover the enclousre...lol No  it is for the enclousre but I don't know if that is going to work or not. I guess this is my trial and error zone huh ...

As for the polyfil would I just add some to the enclousre and that will make it seem bigger ?

Anyway I will have some pic's coming soon .. Thanks again for all your help and support .

If you are planning on painting it, then you won't need to wrap it or anything. You just need to do a bit (or a lot depending on how smooth your FG is) of prep work on the panel itself. Once you have everything done, you'll need to hit the surface of the panel with acetone (LIGHTLY) and 80 grit (80g) sandpaper. This will remove the wax that has come to the surface of the FG when it cured. The 80g wil give the next steps bite to hold on the panel. Then you'll want to skim coat body filler onto the panel. Try and get your sanding and everything to keep the body filler within 1/8" at the thickest, but no more than 1/4" if it can be helped. Then sand that with progressively smoother grits (120g, then 220, 320, 400) By the time you hit 400 you should see no sanding lines and the surface will be super smooth. If you are using automotive paint, sand to 600. If you are using color matched spray paint (touch up paint for example) 400 is fine. You'll need at least a couple of coats to make a durable paint. First coat should be a dusty, then another coat, then another, and keep adding until the panel is painted well. From there, you'll have to decide what finish you are going for. If you want the glossy look, add your clear coats and do some wet sanding with 1500g or 2000g until all the orange skin is gone. If you want the flat look, get a satin or flat clear and spray that on, no sanding.

Last but not least of course: HAVE FUN!

Adding polyfil will make the enclosure seem bigger, but remember that takes up airspace too and since you are already smaller than recommended, you'll want to not use too much.

Pics please

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
joyrydn 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2008 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  

bellsracer,

what yearsmax means by wrapping it is over the skeleton frame what to wrap to start out on the wounting panel for the subs and amp. i know what you are talking about. just not to add to his or her confusion.  ya pics please we want to see what ur progress looks like.

Make it Euro'n!!!
yearmax416 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2008 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  

Pics will be up tonight.. Sorry for the delay . I did some sanding and had to fix a couple spots so that is what I am doing now .. Added some more fg to fix the spots. Want to use the bondo for the final steps. So anyway I will have a few pics up tonight of what I have so far.

Thanks again for all the help. I don't think I would have gotten as far with out you all. Thanks ..

yearmax416 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2008 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  

Here are the pictures as promised . This one shows some of the patch work I started on. It is on the bottom part of the panel. I wanted to clean up the lines a bit and I had a few holes to patch up also. https://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k80/yearmax/Pathfiinder%20upgrades/P2110034.jpg  . The following ones show the rings mounted and the divider in the middle. You will notice I started some of the sanding. I am not to concerned about how smooth the center protion will be as it is not going to be seen or should I be?. That will be inside the enclosure.  Once it is sanded some more and I have it to where I want it I will wrap it.

https://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k80/yearmax/Pathfiinder%20upgrades/P2060026.jpg

https://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k80/yearmax/Pathfiinder%20upgrades/P2060028.jpg

https://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k80/yearmax/Pathfiinder%20upgrades/P2110032.jpg

https://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k80/yearmax/Pathfiinder%20upgrades/P2110033.jpg

So far I am happy with it which is the main part of this whole project. it may take me sometime but I think it will come out good. Hell my wife who is very critical about the way things look likes it alot and even think that I show take the truck to a show this summer if I get everything done by then. So that was my sign of approval that I am doing well. Anyway let me know what you think so far.

bellsracer 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2008 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  

OOOHHHH!!!! >.< I thought you were going to embed the subs into the door itself as in shallow mount and use the airspace inside the gate for part of the enclosure. (Boy do I feel blonde >.<)

Hehe... looks good so far. What are you planning to use to stretch your skin? If it is fleece, It tends to add pressure to the rings as it cures with resin (shrinks a bit) so I would consider adding more reinforcement to the rings. But that is just me... I'm a "never-too-strong" kind of girl. hehe...

Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see more.

Ganbatte ne!

yearmax416 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2008 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  

I am sure your are a cute blonde so no worries.. As for the embeding the subs into the door I was thinking of doing that but I would not have enogh air space to do that. so I went with this idea. I think it works for what I want which is to have that bass and still keep cargo area without have to move a box out iof the way.

As for covering it thanks for the heads up. I will add the extra support which may mean that I will have to use the little pace in the door to make up for the air space issue. The more supports and things like that the more it takes up air space correct? I am pushing the limit now with air space so adding more supports will take away from that if I have read correctly. I do want the whole thing to be strong . don't want to be closing the door and the thing cracking on me so I know what you mean about being strong.

Anyway That is not to big of a deal. I will keep the pictures coming. I still have to get the amp to work that in so hopefully I will have some more progress this weekend.

joyrydn 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2008 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged  

bells, blonde is ok too. we've all been there.

years, i would only woory about smoothing the middle a bit more if its a matter of the amp fiiting close and looking better, otherwise whatever works best for you.  and btw nice layup. i love it the four point support will work just fine for stretching the fleece, trust me on that. most ppl use 2 and it goes crack when they pull it.  you r really getting the hang of this and ur wife is right it is lookin really good.  everyone give years a big hand.  we're just pointing you in the right direction, its all you man. keep it up. i cant wait  to see the fin prod. 

Make it Euro'n!!!
bellsracer 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2008 at 3:29 AM / IP Logged  

hmm.... It's been a LONG time since I was a blonde. According to my sweetie, he says I look cute as a blonde but he loves my natural color best (jet black, meaning it reflects blue) He even did a drawing of me in anime form. I don't think "cute" would be ok for me as a blonde...

hehe... how about sultry or sexy?

ok well... I'm done for now

. . . . . . clap

. . clap. . . . clap
clap. . . . . . . .clap
. . clap. . . . clap
. . . . . . clap

(My round of applause for hte hard work so far)

Ganbatte ne!

yearmax416 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2008 at 10:34 AM / IP Logged  

Ok so I picked up a 1200watt Lanzar 2ch amp last night. So I will be fitting that and tryng to get the enclosure cover up. I will try to get picks up soon.

Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic