icon

kinetik hc2000 and stock 130 amp alt

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mazzasec 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2008 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  
Ok I am gonna be running a total of about 3000 watts with my whole system a kicker zx2500 and a sundown 100.4. If i get a kintetik hc2000 brand new as a starter battery and a hc2000 in the rear as well will i do fine with my 130 amp stock alternator?
ndogg07 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2008 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  
I had the exact same question. Will be running a kikcer zx2500.1 and zx650.4. My stock alt also does 130 amps...2000 Chrysler 300M 3.5L V6.
I plan to do the big three and get 2 HC1800s one under the hood one in the trunk. 1800 is the biggest i can fit in my stock location i think. I wont be running the system with the car turned off, so i think i might be ok but idk. I contacted excessiveamperage and they say they can make a 200 amp alt that will bolt in the stock location so i may just do that. Tried to contact HOalts too but no response. So any suggestions would be appreciated.
Ohh and heres what i play to put in the car.
Eclipse 7200 MKII
Kicker Solo X 12"
Kicker ZX2500.1
2 sets Kicker SS series components 6.5"
Kicker ZX650.4
I get kicker stuff rediculous cheap where i work.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2008 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  
No, you will still need an alternator upgrade as it is the only thing in your car that makes power.   Storing power will not help.
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
pbguy 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2008 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  
Well I always figured having a big bat reserve even if the alt cant recharge it fast enough from all the current drawn is better than nothing. Im pretty sure it will help, I dont think you'll have problems, those kinetics are bad ass. Jeff has a good point and it seems like he knows alot about it. I guess it really depends on how it turns out when you hook up the system.
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2008 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
"Well I always figured having a big bat reserve even if the alt cant recharge it fast enough from all the current drawn is better than nothing".
As Voltage goes down, Current goes up. If the Alt can supply enough current, voltage suffers. So if you can't recharge the batteries, your amps are sucking more current, give off more heat and put out less power. Plus your batteries are not being charged correctly limiting their life.
mazzasec 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2008 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  
So you wouldnt reccomend doing that?
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2008 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  
As Mr. Chilcott stated, you need to make energy, not store it. If it were me, Single Hc-2000 under the hood and a 200 amp alt. Run 1/0 AWG welding cable to the back and see how things go. Why drag around another 70+ pounds of weight not doing you much good. Don't waste your money on a cap. I have always used wranglernw.com for Alts. Not cheap, never had a problem.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2008 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
jeffchilcott wrote:
No, you will still need an alternator upgrade as it is the only thing in your car that makes power.   Storing power will not help.

Bah.  I disagree, totally, with this assertion.

Making power is really not what you need - this is a red herring.  What you need is current at 12.5 v - this is a byproduct of an HO alt - but an HO alt is certainly NOT the only method of producing current @ ~12v.

Of course - I concede making more power will solve the issue at hand - however, the manner in which this power is produced (voltage over RPM range) is FAR MORE CRITICAL than sheer amperage. 

To that end, storing power will MOST CERTAINLY help - and a pair of kinetiks sounds like a great way to do it.  Worst case scenario - as your batts drain off over the course of extended playing (almost regardless of alt size, I would hazard this nearly impossible with a pair of presumably paralleled deep cycle batteries - your gas tank will probably need refilling first) you can cut off your system for a few minutes and bring the batteries back up to a full 12.5v.  Here, we would be talking about ~10 minutes of low or no ouput per hour of playing time.  At most.

audiocableguy wrote:
Why drag around another 70+ pounds of weight not doing you much good.

And this weight issue really is the only good argument against a second battery.  However, spending ~$500 - $800 on an HO alt that MIGHT NOT put out 14v at idle is, in my estimation, not worth this calculus.  I'd rather parallel deep cycles, know for certain I've taken care of the problem at half the cost, and live with the weight of an extra batt.  If you are that concerned about the ~40 pounds another batt represents, then car audio might not be the hobby for you. . . .   

audiocableguy wrote:
Plus your batteries are not being charged correctly limiting their life.

Again - if your batteries are being shown >14v, (almost) regardless of amperage @ that voltage - then they are being charged correctly.  If the idle voltage drops to ~10.5v everytime you get to a stoplight, then you would be severly limiting the life of the battery.

mazzasec wrote:
So you wouldnt reccomend doing that?

Sounds like a great plan to me.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
mazzasec 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2008 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  
So what would be an appropriate decision? I was told to use 2 of the same brands of battery same type and both new. So basically I need the 2 kinetiks and a 200 amp alt? then would that be good
mazzasec 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2008 at 7:30 PM / IP Logged  
also i bought my car at carmax reason why its so hard to me to commit to upgrading the alt cause i dont wanna void any type of warranty
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic