kinetik hc2000 and stock 130 amp alt

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2008 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  

mazzasec wrote:
i bought my car at carmax reason why its so hard to me to commit to upgrading the alt cause i dont wanna void any type of warranty

This is probably your BEST reason to go with the dual batt solution - you best believe that you fry your ECU (I dunno how you would, just that if u did. . .) your uber-expensive Carmax warranty won't point the finger back @ u . . .

But for real answers here, you'd need to read your warranty - and even then it will probably devolve to language like "if an aftermarket upgrade is determined to be the cause of the failure, then the indemnity company is not responsible for payment. . . " - and that YOU get to pay for arbitration (at $400/hr), another mechanics opinion(at $80/hr), etc.

mazzasec wrote:
So what would be an appropriate decision?

Well - you would need to evalute the arguments posted and make a decision. . . I know what *I* would do. . .

mazzasec wrote:
I was told to use 2 of the same brands of battery same type and both new

Correct.  This prevents one with a lower ESR draining off the other everytime you turn your car off.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
mazzasec 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2008 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
So even though you wont do it if i just get two equivlant batteries one starter and one in the back and keep my stock alt will i have any problems?
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2008 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  

I *seriously* doubt it. 

In the final analysis, even with 3000watts rms, this doesn't really represent what your constant pull will be - music is dynamic and it'd take some seriously aggressive use to approach the - I dunno - 3000watts*1.5(to account for amp inefficiency)/12.5=~360amps ... but this would be pink noise @ full tilt boogie output - or a rather unrealistic measure of ur requirements.

So figure maybe ~150~200 amps, if ur aggressive- with 130 amps backed up by the MASSIVE  reserves of paralleled kinetik batteries - should be more than enough to handle this with few side effects.  But this is my judgement -

I think, given your warranty situation, electrical requirements, etc.,  paralled batteries is probably your best place to *begin* at anyrate. . .

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2008 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  
I have offered my suggestions.   But then again what would I know about the Kicker Xk and Zx 2500.1's     A little birdie told me that when you put a clamp meter on the input side of one, they are very very capable of drawing a consistant 200-250 amps of current
And that current number only goes up as voltage goes down.
There have been about 4 posts thus far with you looking for an answer, and each time myself and others have reccomended you upgrade the Alt. Heck in the manual for your AMP it says you need to upgrade the Alt and it is reccomended you run 2 deep cycle batteries.
Run the 2 kinetiks, but when the alt goes to auto parts heaven from being overworked, Please upgrade to a higher amp model then
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic