icon

viper 5900 diagram

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
matrixlu21 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  

Hey.  I currently have a 2002 Toyota Rav4 and am looking to install a Viper 5900 alarm and remote start on it.  the item is about $240 by itself, but $600+ installed, so I was thinking of installing it myself.  Can anyone point me in the right direction of where I may find an installation guide?  thanks

also, it was recommended that I get a Piezo siren, proximity sensor, and dual zone shock.  i want to protect my car in anyway possible because there has been a couple hit-and-runs on my bumper, fender, and doors in the past.  any other suggestions?  thanks a lot!

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  

this is the wiring chart you need. https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~4870 

now u need a transponder bypass. KEY-OVERRIDE-ALL or Bypasskits XK05 flashed with PKT2 v. 2.00.

matrixlu21 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  
thanks.  i've looked into the transponder bypass and it seems by 2002 doesn't have the "chip" within the key, so i think i'm safe to do without one.
tedmond 
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  
nope your gonna need a bypass for sure. that car has an RF transponder.
dtk1 
Copper - Posts: 179
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  
the intalletion manual comes in the box you do need a bypass and good luck and plase do not use a test light
matrixlu21 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  

What is a test light?

as you've probably figured out, I am not car electronically savy.  is there like an installation video or installation guide with step-by-step pictures?  i am have no idea as far as wiring goes, but am very good at following visual instructions.

thanks for all the input!

JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
It is very unlikely that a 2002 Rav 4 has a transponder key. I don't recall ever seeing one that did. DEI's tech sheet always listed it as a possibility, but I never saw one. Maybe it only came on the very top model.
matrixlu21, it is recommended that you use a digital multimeter to find all the wires. You are not going to find any step by step videos on how to install it on your particular vehicle. Go to the "Download" section here (up top) and search for a manual before buying it. If you can not comprehend it, go to a shop and have one professionally installed.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 6:03 AM / IP Logged  
For you to ask what's a test light? Tells me that you would be better off spending the extra money! On a practical level strip the steering column cowl and lok for an antenna ring in the form of coper wire in plastic with 2 thin wires coming from it surrounding the ignition switch. Don't try and strip the key, if it has remote controls on it you won't find the chip. Another method would be to leave the key in the ignition switch and attempt to hot wire the vehicle. Once you've done that remove key from vehicle, wait for 5 mins and then try again. If it won't start you have a chipped key.
tedmond 
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 7:24 AM / IP Logged  
howie does have a point. If you are unsure how to tackle this or havent used a DMM digital multi meter or seen a test light, then your are heading for some trouble. Check your dash light to see if you got a key or security symbol. if you do then the key is chipped or you can do howie's method (hot wire). as the post mentioned the the antenna ring, when opening the steering column, look atound your ignition barrel. there will be a black ring or antennaa like with 4 wires comming out of it. if you see that your car has an immobilizer.
matrixlu21 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2008 at 2:02 AM / IP Logged  

thanks for all the input.  i'll have to look around for an installer.

one of the most important things for me is to get the 504D Stinger Shock Sensor so that I'll know when someone trys to do a hit-and-run on my car while it's parked.  To have full vehicle coverage, including the front bumper, fenders, and back bumper, would I have to have shock sensors for all those parts or will ONE shock sensor cover the entire vehicle?  thanks

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic