icon

kicker, indecisive

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
djrankin004 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2008 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged  
still can't decide on what subs to get. I know i want kicker subs and amp. For around the same price i can get the 1500.1 kicker zx amp running either: 2 12 'cvx's(box not included), 2 12' L5's(box included), 3 cvr 12's, 4 cvr 10's. The options on my kicker order are basically endless. Tell me what you think as far as what series to go with and how many i should run off the 1500.1 amp
teenkertoy 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2008 at 5:46 AM / IP Logged  
That's a wide range of woofers you're looking at there. Your price range suggests stay away from the CVR's and look at the CVX or L5. Besides, having 3 or 4 woofers often means you have other problems to solve.
A pair of CVR's will use all the power from the 1500.1, but the amp will have some to spare for the L5's. The sensitivity of both woofers is nearly identical. It's hard to recommend one or the other since I'm not familiar with how they sound.   But what about the included box for the L5's ... does that make a difference for you?
-Justin
Malcom: "This is the captain. We have a...little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."
Jayne: "We're gonna explode? I don't wanna explode.
djrankin004 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2008 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  
the box is a plus but a small one being as I have a carpenter friend that is willing to help me do just about anything under the sun. I had one cvx in my trunk for awhile bridged across a kicker 850.2 and it was pretty mean. The only reason i asked about multiple subs is because i recognized a huge sound difference in my car when i had 2 subs instead of just one so was wondering maybe if 3 or even 4 smaller subs would sound better than just one or two. I have been debating this decision for quite awhile and i'm starting to lean towards the l5's. I'm in high school and really want to push to be somewhat different seeing as 4 people in my class already have l7's, and i'm sure most of you know what i'm talking about. I want something that can be clean when i want to listen to my music, and impressive when i want to turn it up for show-off purposes.
djrankin004 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2008 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  
honestly it probrably loos like i'm just looking for someone to do the research for me but truthfully i just can't bring myself to make a decision. It's like naming your first born kid or something, and it's my money so its really important to me
teenkertoy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2008 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  
If your main drive is to have something unique, something your friends don't have, why not think outside the box? haha
No really, I mean try something more difficult like an isobaric design, a bandpass or transmission line, or spend a little time trying to build it to compliment your car instead of trying for wow factor. Everybody (read high-schoolers) can put big woofers with lots of power and chrome plate everything, but not everyone has a personal carpenter to help build something special. You don't need to beat them on SPL, that's a stupid endeavor in my opinion. Try to win at SQ, efficiency, low frequency response, stealth install, amazing custom built box, or something else you can use your carpenter friend to help with.
To that end, you don't have to go with Kicker or any specific brand. Why not look around some more, visit a few local stores, and demo some equipment? Stay away from the big box stores like BBuy and CCity though, find the little hole-in-the-wall places that only do car audio. They can help you with suggestions.
What is the rest of your system like? Do you have after market components, amp, receiver, or signal processing? Perhaps get a single 12" with a smaller amp and put cash towards your weakest link, or add a unit that does time delay and parametric EQ. If done through a local shop, they can help you configure it to kill all your buddies' system SQ-wise.
-Justin
Malcom: "This is the captain. We have a...little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."
djrankin004 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2008 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  
ill look into that. you got any websites or information on how to build those unique boxes your talkin about?
teenkertoy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2008 at 2:08 AM / IP Logged  
Isobaric is putting two woofers in-line with eachother so they push the same amount of air, but with much more force. It allows for smaller boxes and/or greater SPL without giving up SQ for the most part. It can be used on any enclosure and is highly documented here and elsewhere.
Bandpass is also well documented, on this website and others. Should be easy to find information.
Transmission Lines are not very well documented, here is a thread I started with some great links on the second page near the bottom.
-Justin
djrankin004 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2008 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
the isobaric sounds coool. you think that would work well  with l5's cuz i made up my mind on them. now i'm just debating on what to put them in
mcben789 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2008 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  
click
Alot of info on this site.
Sasquatch...
We know your legend's real...
djrankin004 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2008 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  

well i have two 12' 08Kicker l5's right now running off a kicker zx1000.1.   I must have something louder with just as much clean bass as the kickers. I get pretty good deals from kicker, mtx, eclipse, and polk so keeping that in mind and also the fact that i am running this all from a stock alternator and a regular car battery so i need something halfway power efficient. What combinations of subs and amp should i be looing at? I would be willing to stray away from kicker mtx eclipse and polk for something of reasonable cost.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic