icon

2008 Ford F-350, Omega RS-4LX Remote Start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
boulderbronco 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2008 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  

I can't find this info. anywhere.  I need to find the glow plug wire to tap into for my remote start.  I have searched and searched, called Ford, posted on other forums.  So far nothing.  So does someone know the wire color and where I can find it?  If it's easily accessible under the dash thats fine.  If I can find it under the hood, just as good.

Thanks for the help.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 17, 2008 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  
Is your remote start unit not programmable for a few different time settings for diesel vehicles?   The wire you need is in the cluster harness.   I have no idea of it's color, but it controls the "Wait to Start" light on the dash.
boulderbronco 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2008 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  

i am an idiot wrote:
Is your remote start unit not programmable for a few different time settings for diesel vehicles?   The wire you need is in the cluster harness.   I have no idea of it's color, but it controls the "Wait to Start" light on the dash.

No the RS is not programmable.  It has a sensing wire that senses when the glow plug light goes off.  I know that it's under there somewhere it's just a matter of finding it.  Going through that monstrosity of a harness would take me all day.  I am sure there is someone here who has done this truck before that would be able to at the very least, narrow it down for me.  Someone must have a wiring diagram that they could reference.  Thanks.

mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2008 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
This is why you need to keep all of your posts under one topic....I know you posted before, but now I can't remember the system you are using, since you didn't list it this time. What system? And if I remember right, the wait to start is now done through data now, which you can't tap into. I always use a system with a timed delay as mentioned earlier.
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2008 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  
boulderbronco, the wait to start wire on the new fords is now done through data and you can't, i repeat, cannot tie into it. you need a DEI 528T pulse timer.
mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2008 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  
And once you get past this step....here's a little tip... You don't need a tach wire at all.( as long as your system is capable of voltage sense ) your truck sees a starter input it will crank till it starts. Man I love the new Fords.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2008 at 7:36 AM / IP Logged  
My guys at Ford told me you don't need to wait to start on new Ford diesels anymore. The amount of time it takes from the ignition turning on till it cranks is enough. I have done a dozen or so this way and have had no problems at all.
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2008 at 8:18 AM / IP Logged  

All you're  looking for is a delay between ign and start. Most good R/S units can differentiate, ie selecting diesel on the programming will initiate this inc the time delay. Frankly most modern diesels DO start straight away so waiting for the glow-plug light to go out is irrevalent (where's the bloody spell check?)

In fact all the above posts are correct although they arrive by different methods ALSO from experience I would also trust in what they say. In fact on modern diesels I usually leave them on their petrol settings. My only doubt is the depth of winter, does the glow plug need more time?

boulderbronco 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2008 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the help guys.  The unit I am installing is an Omega RS-4LX.  I have installed three of these before but never on a diesel.  I don't want the truck to start before the glow plugs warm up.  I don't care what you say, it's not good for it.  In the dead of winter it can take 5-7 seconds for the glow plugs to warm up.  I don't think there is that much delay in the ignition and start sequence.  So I appreciate the idea of just hooking it up but I don't like it. 

Ckeeler, So it sounds like I would need this DEI 528T timer your talking about.  How does it work?  I'm not doubting you on the data wire.  But for the dash light there must be a wire that gives the light voltage and then turns the voltage off, turning the light off.  That would not be a data wire.  Thats all I need.

Mikvot, when I posted before I was asking a question about my keyless install and the lock unlock wires on my F350.  Since this was a "different" install and a different issue I thought it better to post a new topic.  I figured I would get more direct responses.  Anyway like I mentioned above the RS unit is a RS-4LX.  I love these things and their features.  BUT.  The diesel feature does not have any programmable wait to start option.  All I have is a sensing wire to sense when the light goes off.  I figured I would not need the tach wire as all the other installs I have done, all Fords, didn't need it as they worked off the voltage sensing system. 

Thanks again guys.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2008 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  
Another thought, if you must have tach use a DEI inductive unit it goes between batt and alternator and is completely safe because it's non-intrusive. The point is especially here in Europe most instrument panels have about 6 wires to control everything via the CAN data system, the "lights" are surface mount LED's there is NO 12V+ or neg wait to start feed to the bulb.N.B. The only cars that actually won't start until glow plug light extinguishes are M/Benz.  A diesel Focus will start immediately in all weathers.
Page of 9

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic