icon

2008 Ford F-350, Omega RS-4LX Remote Start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
boulderbronco 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2008 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  

More issues.  I still have not figured out the glow plug thing but that can wait and should just be a simple connection when I figure out where to connect it.  So I have it all installed with all wires connected in the "right places."  I figured I would get it working and then work on the delay thing for the diesel as it's programmed from the factory for a regular gas vehicle.  Anyway.  I have a strange problem.  First it will not work, at all.  From what I can tell the problem lies somewhere in the brake connection.  When I hit the brake the ignition powers on like it's about to start.  It does not try to start but it fires all the "gadgets" up in my truck.  I don't get it?  Why?  The RS-4LX senses the 12v+ when the brake is pressed so it will shut down the RS/engine.  But what it's doing is somehow feeding through the RS  to the ignition #1 output from the RS and going to my ignition and firing it up.  How is that possible unless the unit itself is screwed up?  With that said I can not get it to do it's "data learn procedure."  I'm sure it's got something to do with the brake/ignition issue.  I have been thinking and messing with it for the last hour and can't figure it out.  Anyone?  Thanks.

boulderbronco 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2008 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2008 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
I can now answer your earlier glow plug question having looked at the R/S diagrammes you kindly posted. Just set the lover to diesel and that solves that problem. Possibly stupid question but are you connected to the right side of the brake switch?
boulderbronco 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2008 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  

howie ll wrote:
I can now answer your earlier glow plug question having looked at the R/S diagrammes you kindly posted. Just set the lover to diesel and that solves that problem. Possibly stupid question but are you connected to the right side of the brake switch?

Well if I set it to diesel I'm not sure it will even start.  It doesn't hurt to try it though.  The manual says: "the gray wire can learn polarity; all it needs to detect is the change in the host wire's status when the glow plug goes out."  So we shall see.  But as I said I can't even get it started.  I do have the brake pedal hooked up.  There are only two wires.  It is to the one that provides 12v+ when the pedal is pressed.  So again in short, here is what is happening.  When the brake is pressed it supplies 12v+ to the RS.  But when that happens it also puts 12v+ to the ign. #1 and ign. #2 output wires of the RS.  Those two wires are actually connected to the same ign. wire in the harness but that does not matter. 

I also noticed another strange thing.  There is a wire from my RS that "is a 12v+ output which will directly supply the host remote keyless entry or security system's ignition input circuit.  This circuit has voltage whenever the ignition switch is on, but not when the RS-4LX energizes the ignition circuit."  Testing this wire it always has 12v+.  That seems wrong.  If I am reading that right it should not have voltage unless the key is on or the RS is activated.  But it has 12v+ all the time.  If I am right in thinking that then it appears...  damn my brain hurts.  I'm still trying to figure this out. 

boulderbronco 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2008 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  

Now I noticed that when my hood is up (pin is grounded) the same thing happens.  The ignition output wires from the RS get 12v+ and fire up the ignition!  What the hell?  Is it possible that the RS was wired incorrectly and the hood pin wire and brake wire connections got reversed?  Can't be.

boulderbronco 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2008 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  
So when the brake wire sees 12v+ it powers the ignition and when the hood pin grounds itself it activates the ignition.  When either of those happens you can hear the relay switching in the RS.  Why?
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2008 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  

hey boulderbronco, dude, i have installed a bunch of these rs-4lx units and i like them, there pretty ok. those units will do what you are saying whenever there is a step yopu have missed or it didnt like, when you program them for the neutral safty. you know, how you have to turn on the ignition and put it in reverse and then neutral and then back to park and all that junk? well anyway ive had this same thing happen to me 6 outta 10 times with these darn things. you just have to keep trying to program it and it will eventually work. sometimes you have to do it in a different sequience or have the hood closed. try a few different things.  as for the pulse timer, they work awesome! all it is, is a relay that can be triggered with a positive or negative pulse and have a positive or negative output which is completly adjustable with a little pot built right onto it. it can be triggered when it see a pulse, or when it sees voltage go away. way easy to use.

also you can make a constant to momentary relay setup and just adjust the time with a capacitior and hook up the output to your rs-4lx gray wire. use an output that is on when the unit is activated to trigger the relay.

ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2008 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  
2008 Ford F-350, Omega RS-4LX Remote Start - Page 2 -- posted image. try this man, for more time to let the glow plugs warm up, just use larger capacitors until you get it where you want it.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 19, 2008 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  

If using the above relay setup, you will only have a certain time window in which to start your truck.   If the truck does not start on the first try, does the R/S unit turn the ignition off and then back on, or does it just try to start again.  If the latter, it will think the wait to start light is back on.

boulderbronco 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2008 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  
ckeeler wrote:

hey boulderbronco, dude, i have installed a bunch of these rs-4lx units and i like them, there pretty ok. those units will do what you are saying whenever there is a step yopu have missed or it didnt like, when you program them for the neutral safty. you know, how you have to turn on the ignition and put it in reverse and then neutral and then back to park and all that junk? well anyway ive had this same thing happen to me 6 outta 10 times with these darn things. you just have to keep trying to program it and it will eventually work. sometimes you have to do it in a different sequience or have the hood closed. try a few different things.  as for the pulse timer, they work awesome! all it is, is a relay that can be triggered with a positive or negative pulse and have a positive or negative output which is completly adjustable with a little pot built right onto it. it can be triggered when it see a pulse, or when it sees voltage go away. way easy to use.

also you can make a constant to momentary relay setup and just adjust the time with a capacitior and hook up the output to your rs-4lx gray wire. use an output that is on when the unit is activated to trigger the relay.

Ok.  I have already tried about 3-4 times but I will try it a few more times.  The hood is closed every time.  But what I don't understand is why the RS would trigger the ign. outputs when the brake is press or if the hood is opened.  It should do the exact opposite.  It's like it's somehow reversed.  Seems to me it will not program with these two situations happening.  I'm going out right now to try again.

Page of 9

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic