icon

jl 1000/1, custom 13w7 box?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
97ssei61 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged  

i have a jl 1000/1 amp  that i recently put in, and after i put it in i had to drive to listen to it and was working fine but i turned a corner a lil fast and it disconncted my power cable frome the fuse holder behind my seat( i have 2 in line fuses one 4in from the battery and one just behind the cushion on the rear seat because my power wire was 2 short and couldnt find a connector to join a extra 3 ft) anyways after i returned home and reconnected the wire the amp does not turn on and both fuses are still good. do u think i blew my amp?

why doesnt this amp have a fuse on it like other amps?

megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  
I highly doubt you blew up the amp.  You'll need to check the voltages at the amplifier with your DMM.  Also check the ground connection.  If your power lead pulled out, maybe your ground pulled out as well.  BTW, for the sake of all our sanity, mount the amp so it doesn't slide around!
97ssei61 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
yea my pet monkey knew I shoulda atleast temporary set the amp b4 my joyride but I'm an idiot.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  
97ssei61 wrote:
but I'm an idiot.
No, I am    You said Pet Monkey
97ssei61 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 11:55 PM / IP Logged  
LOL how did I say pet monkey
I really never used a dmm what do I set it on to test the power and ground?
thank u for the help
i am an idiot 
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 4:39 AM / IP Logged  
Set it to the DC Volts selection, if it has different DC Volt settings set it to the 20 volt setting. DC Volts will be the V with the straight line near it. The V with the wave on side of it is the AC Volts selection.
Once you have it set properly open the hood and connect it to your battery for testing. Red Lead on positive terminal, black lead on negative terminal. If it is reading near 12 volts, you have it on the correct setting.
When testing the voltage at the amp, you need to have your radio turned on. Touch and hold the black meter lead to the ground screw ON THE AMP, then touch the red lead to the top of the power screw. Notice the reading on the meter. Now move the red lead to the remote terminal of the amp. Notice that reading. Let us know what you find.
97ssei61 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  
alright I tested the batery and got 12.71v tested right after main fuse got the same. After the second fuse nothing and fuse isn't blown so I took out the fuse and put the same one back in and it worked. But on my drive to work it stopped again, no power after second fuse so I replaced the fuse with a new one and nothing. So I'm think it's something with the holder cuz the wire have a solid connection to it. So this weekend I'm just gonna run a new power wire so I don't have to have that second fuse holder
i am an idiot 
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
I know when they released that speaker they were telling us no less than 2 x 3/4 for the mounting of the speaker. Did they change that to 1"?   Since you are using Plexi and I am sure it will not be an easy task to rebuild the box, I would do some research (I guess that is what you are doing here) to find out if 1" will be sufficient to mount the woofer.
emptypockets426 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  
Better to be safe...sandwich 2 pieces of 3/4 inch mdf for the front. As for the plexiglass, if you find 1 inch thick plexi...go for it. be prepared for it to crack. It might sound stupid but do some research on lexane (might be spelled wrong) which is bullet proof glass. Very expensive but 100 times better than plexi.
97ssei61 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2008 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged  
yea I just looked up lexan and I can get a 24"x48" .5"thick for almost $250 but that's a oil too much just to see the back of the sub. If the plexi is just gonna crack im gonna have to do mdf back which is gonna make the trunk a lil plain maybe I'll put the amp there with plexi covering it, will the amp get too hot like that?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic