icon

2002 cavalier, remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
delongboy 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  

I just installed the trc xr-22 remote start on my cavalier. here it is http://trc12volt.com/XR22c.pdf

I have everything working except the trunk and doors lock and unlock.  I made sure I was connected to the correct wires with a multimeter.

While testing it seems that the unit is not sending any voltage on the door lock and unlock.  It does make a clicking noise and the parking lights flash. 

I think it may be one of 2 problems.  First the wiring for the unit shows these connections as - and the wiring for my car shows them as + 

second the unit has instructions for learning and I think it could be set to use the cars keyless entry and I can't find any way to switch.

Any help would be appreciated.  Also, if anyone knows a way where I can use my factory alarm system to use the neg input on the remote starter?  Like using the trunk button instead?

caraudio904 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  

02 Cav

Lock: Light BLue

Unlock: White 

5wire Alternating:  the easiest side is to do it from the passenger side at the switch since its the master control on that side

If you have previous keyless entry like with a remote an all you can just tap into those wires in the pass kick panel an wire in direct

Southern Stylez
Jacksonville, FL 32218
delongboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged  

I've got the wires.  I connected at the BCM.  However, the wires there are + and the starter unit shows it as -

is there a way to reverse the polarity?

mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, with relays. Look in the relay section of this site. All kinds of useful diagrams.
moonliter 
Copper - Posts: 322
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  
delongboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  

OK, great!! Thanks guys.  I assume those relays in the diagram are pretty standard and I can get them at radio shack? 

Also, any ideas one way or the other for using my factory alarm fob trunk button to activate the remote starter? 

noobie4life 
Copper - Posts: 80
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2008 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  
Why would you still want to use your factory remote anyways? There is no use for it. I have the exact same car as you do, but a different aftermarket alarm. You cant use your aftermarket alarm to disarm the factory alarm. You simply disarm the factory alarm and let it go at that. The new alarm will do everything the factory one did. If the aftermarket one has atleast 1 free auxiliary channel, you use that for the trunk release. The polarity for the trunk release is (+) and on my alarm, the output is (-) so I needed to use a relay to reverse the polarity. I found the trunk release wire by removing the driver side door floor trim piece. There is a ton of wires that are taped up (mine has orange tape). The wire color is black with white stripes eventhough there are several of those same colored wires, so you will need to test each one.
delongboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2008 at 8:57 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, So here is my new issue.. Not sure if I should start a new post or not.  anyways.  when I remote start my car in the am to go to work it works fine.  However the last 2 days I have tried to start it at work before I go home, it runs for maybe 2 secs and turns off.  Its almost like the passlock bypasser is not working.  I have used the GM 555L bypass module.  The only think I can think of is because I start it with the remote in the morning and then try to start it in the afternoon with the remote again without starting with the key in between.  Does this make any sense?  It always starts fine the next morning after I start it with the Key to go home.
caraudio904 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2008 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  
sounds like you did not connect tach, the very first remote start i ever did was that way. i would start it, it would try but would cut off, then try again an it would start. it is effected by hot/cold weather. thats why its always good to use tach but you can reprogram the timer an it should take care of that issue
Southern Stylez
Jacksonville, FL 32218
noobie4life 
Copper - Posts: 80
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2008 at 9:44 AM / IP Logged  
If the bypass module was not working, the car would not be remote started no matter when you tried it. Also after the fail remote start, the car would enter anti-tamp mode and cant be started with the key either. I also dont think it is a tach problem (lack of having it connected). The only thing the tack wire does (which is very important) is disengage the remote start once the vehicle is started.
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic