icon

2002 cavalier, remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2008 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  
does the driver side door still operate normally with the switch?
delongboy 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2008 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  
no.  nothing power will lock the drivers door.  you have to manually lock it with the lock.
ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2008 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  
i ask because that tells you its not the install or the unit itself, but a problem with the cars electrical instead. does that wire have 12v all the time, or just when you lock and unlock?
delongboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2008 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  

The wires only get 12v when locking and unlocking.  There are 2 wires going to the actuator.  One gets 12v on lock and the other on unlock.  The problem I see is that when one is getting power the other has to ground.  This isn't happening on the lock.  If I manualy gound the other wire while hitting the lock button then the door will lock.  So to have one wire that can have ground and 12v I would think there would have to be a switch or relay somewhere.  The Install I believe is correct because it is getting 12V when they are suppose to.  But I think at some point during the install I must have blown the relay/switch mentioned.  If I had any clue where that was I could replace it and I think everything would work fine.

ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2008 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  
there are relays, under the hood in the fuse/relay box. but they control all the doors, not just drivers, so thats not the problem, we gotta fix this another way. im thinking give me a few.
delongboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2008 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  
are you sure the drivers door is not on its own seperate relays?  Given that with the factory fob the drivers door unlocks first and then the rest of the doors after?
delongboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2008 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
In the manual for the fuse relay box under the hood it doesn't list any relays for door locks.
ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2008 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  

i think this is your problem. it should cost about $35.00 for a new one. CARQUEST part #SW3744. im 60% sure though, not 100%

2002 cavalier, remote start - Page 4 -- posted image.

delongboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2008 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
ok, it appears I made my problem worse.  while I was testing the ground for the lock I was grounding the unlock wire and the door locked.  Then I accidentally hit unlock while I was still grounded and I think I blew the other relay.  Now it won't lock or unlock with out me manually grounding the correct wire.  So now I believe there are 2 switches or relays that I have to find.
delongboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2008 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  
why would you think its the switch?
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic