icon

2002 cavalier, remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2008 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  

well......now you changed my mind about the switch. find this, its the door lock relay. its under the dash. which i dont think is bad either, but......... anyway, im thinking something else now that you mention it has factory driver door priority. ill get back to you in the morning after i do some research.

2002 cavalier, remote start - Page 5 -- posted image.

delongboy 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2008 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks, I appreciate it.
ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2008 at 8:43 AM / IP Logged  
delongboy, i do think your relay is bad. replacing that is going to be the first step in fixing your problem.
delongboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2008 at 8:50 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, I will pick one up today and try it this weekend.  Is there only one?  I would think maybe there is 2 since it is only the drivers door that is not working.  If there is 2 maybe I could just switch them and see if it works.  Looks like its about $25.  But I'll see what I can find and let you know.
ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2008 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  
i think there is only one, but if you do see 2, definitly swap them to see what happens.
delongboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2008 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  
Hey ckeeler,  I was just looking at the wiring for the door locks and it almost appears that the drivers lock is controlled by the bcm and the rest of the doors are controlled by the door lock relay.  take a look at this and let me know what you think. 
2002 cavalier, remote start - Page 5 -- posted image.
ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2008 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  

your right delongboy. i was hoping that would not be the case. it can still be fixed. the question is do you still want driver door priority? it can be done with your aftermarket unit but will be more difficult. my suggestion is to take the factory wires from the door lock motor and cut them, then insulate the wires coming from the bcm side. run new wires from the motor side to the lock relays and tie them in with the rest of the door lock motor wires that operate off the relay. when you lock and unlock all the doors should work that way. if you want the driver door priority then you can wire in your unit to do that with another standard relay. what do you think?

delongboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2008 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  

looking closely, it appears I only need to cut the one wire, the tan one and connect that with the relay.  do you agree?

and by insulate the bcm wire, you just mean seal it off so it doesn't contact anything, right?

ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2008 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  
yes exactly. just find a really good way to insulate it. and really one wire would work since the other side is already connected to a relay. the other side just needs to go to the other relay. the only problem is the factory driver door priority wont work, but you can always do it with your aftermarket system if you really want it.
delongboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2008 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  
I don't really care about the door priority.. was more annoying for me than anything else..  sounds great i'll give it a try this weekend and let you know.  thanks for all your input... you have been a huge help.
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic