icon

ast ultra remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
zirconx 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2008 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  
I'm trying to decide which RS to buy, and am reading the user manuals to see if I'd like how they operate. I was really leaning towards an autostart, but in the manual it says you unlock/lock the doors by holding down the button for 1 full second.
Do you really need to hold it for a full second, or is the manual being vague? All the OEM remotes I've used just need a millisecond press.
I know, its a small thing but I can see myself getting frustrated as I have my hand on the handle, waiting for it to unlock while I'm holding down the button in my other hand.
The other one I was closely considering was an Autostart. Anyone know how long you have to hold those buttons for lock/unlock?
-thanks
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2008 at 12:25 AM / IP Logged  
The manual is exaggerating.   A quick push of the button works fine for lock and unlock. Trunk release and remote start do require you to hold the button for longer.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 20, 2008 at 6:20 AM / IP Logged  
I agree with JWorm.
I've installed one or two Ultra units, and not too long ago I picked up a used car that has an Ultra starter/keyless already installed.
The locks work instantly, and the remote starter requires that you hold the button just a little bit.
Nice product to install, too.
You might be thinking of Astro Start, maybe? I've installed a few of those, and they seem incredibly well made, but the remotes are huge, and for ANY of the functions (lock, unlock, start), you have to hold the button for a full second, which I think is pretty stupid.
zirconx 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2008 at 8:45 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks guys.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 20, 2008 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  
who stands there with the doorhandle in one hand unlocking their doors anyway?     i always unlock mine 10-15 feet from the vehicle as i walk towards it.... so it probably wouldn't be an issue anyway.....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
zirconx 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2008 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
Hmmm ok reading through the manual some more, it says that pressing the '#' button activates the aux 1 output (trunk usually). Then a small note under that says that aux 1 is not available on two-way models.   So how do you pop the trunk then? I would assume you have to use a 2nd aux, but I don't see it listed in any of the key press charts.
Reeceddogg 
Copper - Posts: 329
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2008 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  
what brand/model alarm do you have?
zirconx 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2008 at 8:50 AM / IP Logged  
I'm looking at the Ultra Start 3280-XR.
The manual is here, the button table starts on page 4.
97gss 
Copper - Posts: 235
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2008 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  

This should help you alittle....

http://www.ultrastarters.com/Feature_Sheets/80_Series/MAN-80-Series-INSTALL-REV-2008.pdf

Look on page 13, numbers 4-6 and page 17.

zirconx 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2008 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  
So I'm still trying to figure out how you would pop the trunk with Ultra Start 3280-XR. I'd really like to order this and get it installed before it gets cold.
97gss, I read the pages you pointed to. But the manual also says in a foot note: "Car finder and auxiliary 1 are not available on two-way models".
Do they really make a nice, two-way unit that can't pop the trunk? Or you have to do some complicated button presses to activate aux 2 to pop the trunk? Anyone know?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic