icon

98 dodge ram, ignition kill relay

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ninno 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2009 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  

does anybody see a problem usin this configuration to interrupt the 2-12v constant wires on the ignition of a 1998 dodge ram diesel with a manual tranny. the customer does not want a starter wire kill, because the truck is manual. and if i interrupt the ignition 1 and 2 he does not want a theif to crank the starter over and over. he also does not want any switch put on the fuel pump.

how would i add another relay to this for both 12v wires.

would this be a reliable setup. do you think the relays could fail due to heat or continuous use like this. he doesnt mind carrying a couple extra in case one fails. i already warned him if it were to fail the car would shutoff.

any other suggestion are welcome provided they follow these:

customer does not want to carry any remote or key chain(rfid,magnetic...)

he does not want any type of alarm.

wants to be able to get in turn key to on, push a hidden button and start the truck.

also want it to enable as soon as he shuts off the key, he doesnt want to push a button after key shutoff.

98 dodge ram, ignition kill relay -- posted image.

thanks for the replies!

james bond 007 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2009 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
I would get rid of the second relay and hook pin 85 of the first relay to constant 12volts and put the hidden push button switch in between pin 86 and ground, that way if someone were to brake in and crank the ign switch the starter wouldn't crank and with this set up if the relay were to fail his truck wouldn' t shut off
ninno 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2009 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  

so that would only interrupt the starter wire right?

my customer doesnt only want the starter interrupted, because the truck is a manual tranny the truck can be push started.

i forgot to mention this truck was stolen before and recovered with the steering column busted.

after looking some more i dont think what i need to do is possible on the constant 12v wires. what if i intterupt ignition 1 and/or ignition 2 along with the starter wire( again owner does not want a theif to wear out the starter). can someone draw up a diagram for this using a momentary push button to ground.

ninno 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2009 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  

another idea?

what if i use a add on remote start unit and remove the necessary wires from the switch and connect them only to the remot start unit.

when he gets in the truck he turns the key to unlock the steering and pushes a button to activate the start process, and drives away. there would be no connection to the hood pin or the brake. making the unit running all the time.

can a remote start unit run continuously like this, he sometimes drives for 12 hours at a time?

ninno 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2009 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  

98 dodge ram, ignition kill relay -- posted image.

will this work without overheating?

ninno 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2009 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  

i got the above to work on a bench, i just dont know how it will work under ignition load.

first turn the key to on, then push momentary button which engages ign 1 and 2 and allows switch to crank.

any other ideas???

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 01, 2009 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  
If that is a momentary switch, when you release the switch you will lose ignition power.
ninno 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2009 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  

i  used an ignition switch and harness from an acura legend on a bench with 12v buzzers on the motor side plug. my results:

when the key is turned on, nothing happens until the momentary switch is pressed, then the ignitions 1 and 2 stay powered until the key is turned off. then the whole thing is reset again. the only load on the ign 1 and 2 and starter are 12v buzzer or a meter or a test light.

i dont know how it will act in a car under current load.

but i did build this on a bench and it did work, my question is will this work in a car reliably?

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 01, 2009 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
I missed the right relay, it's sole purpose is to keep the other 3 engaged. This should work in the vehicle, the relay is capable of 40 amps of current in that configuration, I see no problems with it.
ninno 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2009 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  
thanks again for the answers. i plan to install it monday afternoon. ill let you guys know how good it works.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic