need some sound advice to pound

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2009 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  

aznboi3644 wrote:
what kind of boxes (plural???) are they in now??
If they are in crappy prefab enclosures you can get louder with a new enclosure.
For the noobs to know...its about 80-90% enclosure. Not all about the subwoofer.
I'm sure your current subs have much potential with a new enclosure

+1 The box is about the most critical part.

I think from your last thread you are running prefab boxes. 1 per pair correct? Just by building an encloser with you vehical in mind and built to the specific specs of your sub you should see a very good increase in output and quality of sound. If that is still not enough for you. Get subs that will handle the output of your amp so that you can get the most out of the power you have availible. But again even switching subs the box needs to be designed for the subs and vehical to get the most out of it.

need some sound advice to pound - Page 2 -- posted image.
kureti 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2009 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
try getting some advice from Mr. David Navone.
www.davidnavone.com he is a fantastic guy I have come across. i am sure he will help u out to get the Max bass. I have read a lot of his articles he is brilliant.
K. Venugopal Rao
tigger76 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2009 at 1:38 AM / IP Logged  
Well guys alot of questions and some great advice. I will try my best to answer the questions and add anything that I may have left out. The boxes are actually 2 prefabed boxes bolted together. The kind you would buy at the local stereo shop. Not the best I know but that brings me to my first dilema, all the local shops wanted no less than $1000 to build me a box. To me that is crazy talk! My amps say that they will put out 1500 watts at 1 ohm. Should I be looking for a sub that can handle about 1000 watts? Maybe the mtx 9500? I know that I don't need to throw a bunch money at this to get what I want it to do, I just need to put my money in the right areas. If this was my dream setup I would wall it off and go deaf I'm a matter of days:) If I am to upgrade to bigger subs it won't be until about 6 months down the road. So in the mean time what can I do? Get a bigger box? To be honest when I was a young buck with my stereo I just thought a box was a box and you either had a porter or non porter. But I know that the can be tuned:) if anyone knows of someone that is able to make me a box in my area, please let me know. I live in Portland, Oregon. To answer some other questions, that 3rd row seating went the hour I got the truck. That is prime speaker space. I cannot say thank you enough for all the support in helping me get my goal done the right way. Looking forward to what you guys have to say. Philip
jvillefinest 
Copper - Posts: 255
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2009 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  

build the box yourself. a couple of sheets of wood and a weekend and you will save...ummm $800 atleast!

im sure someone can give you dimensions to a nice box that will get WAYYY more out of your setup then two separate prefab boxes.

2007 Acura TSX
SQ setup in the works
tigger76 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2009 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  
O.k., I have a few more questions. If I was to buy a better sub ( like a mtx 9500?) which can handle more power does that make it louder since it can handle more rms?
So I am no good at the box designing thing. Can someone who knows about the design of boxes please help me find a box that I can build? The space I have to work with is these measurements I have to work with.
20 inches tall
48 inches wide
36 inches deep
I really want to pound!
Well guys thank you for all your help. I appreciate everything you guys help me with.
j.reed 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2009 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  
Yes you  will gain DBs with more power and yes the 9500 would be a good choice for the power you have available. Just remeber that the box is where the DBs come from. WIth a crappy box you can lose a lot of DB. You have plenty of space for the 9500 for airspace ported. I have no problems giving you some specs to build from. Just let me know.
tigger76 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2009 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks j.reed for the quick reply. So maybe I miss led you, 1 9500 will not cut it for meneed some sound advice to pound - Page 2 -- posted image.. I want the ability to make ears bleed. Lol. I was thinking more along the lines of atleast 3 or 4. My idea is this, 4 9500's. The voice coils and speakers wired in parallel of 2 speakers, which drops them down to a 1 ohm load. Which I am alright with but like I said I want this to kill the ears. My next option is to wire all 4 and wire the voice coils in series and the speakers in parallel, and that put the load down to 2 ohm's which is what would be needed to strap the amps together and let the neighbors suffer. Which is recommended? So assuming that I will get 3 or 4 of the 9500's, what would be a good amp to run all them or is the amps that I have enough to run them and achieve what I am after? Also I have a little more heighth (about 5 inches) and about the same in depth if needed, but would really like to keep the dimensions that I already have. Sorry for all the newb questions guy. I do thank you all for your help and thoughts. Phillip
j.reed 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2009 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  
I knew what you ment and i figured airspace for 4 9500s it only takes 8 cubic foot for the 4 of the 9500s ported. The measurements you gave would give you 17 cubic foot availible minus port, driver displacement  and any bracing. So that is more than enough to work with for those subs as i said. I believe when i looked up the sub specs they are 1000 rms a piece correct? If so you can run up to 4000 watts rms to them. You will have a lot of cone area and a good amount of Xmas. Even with say 2000 RMS they should be plenty loud.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2009 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  
if you want your ears to bleed, get 3 15inch mtx 9500s. buy them in the dual 2 ohm version so you can get the 3 subs as close to 1 ohm total as possible. you have plenty of space for 3 of them but 4 would be pushing it. build the box with the subs facing towards the back and the port facing up since you will be using all of the front width for the 15s. when it's done you should have about 3 cubic feet of air space for each.
j.reed 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2009 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  

soundnsecurity wrote:
if you want your ears to bleed, get 3 15inch mtx 9500s. buy them in the dual 2 ohm version so you can get the 3 subs as close to 1 ohm total as possible. you have plenty of space for 3 of them but 4 would be pushing it. build the box with the subs facing towards the back and the port facing up since you will be using all of the front width for the 15s. when it's done you should have about 3 cubic feet of air space for each.

Sound is right the 15s should be louder than the 4 12s if designed right for the vehical. It will give you more Square inch of cone area.

Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic