icon

need some sound advice to pound

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tigger76 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2009 at 1:03 AM / IP Logged  
Does anyone know anyting about digital design? I cannot find a dealer to save my life. I did go to the web site, you have to break in these subs for a long time it says? What is that about? I was hoping to find something around here that if something should happen then I would be able to get some advice or exchange. Thanks guys. Phillip
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 16, 2009 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  
DD is very good...high quality equipment.
Custom Enclosure Design
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2009 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  

tigger76 wrote:
Does anyone know anyting about digital design? I cannot find a dealer to save my life. I did go to the web site, you have to break in these subs for a long time it says? What is that about? I was hoping to find something around here that if something should happen then I would be able to get some advice or exchange. Thanks guys. Phillip

DD is very good for ouput. The break in time is just as it says. Kinda like when you have a new engine. Everything is tight and needs to loosen a bit to get the most out of the subwoofer. What do you have available at local shops?

need some sound advice to pound - Page 4 -- posted image.
ianedward1 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2009 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  

ok im going to run you some options that will help you pound harder without pounding your wallet. Digital Designs are very nice woofers (coming with a VERY big price tag for the larger models). My choices for subwoofer if you are really wanting to bust some windows and blow some ear drums would be....

1. Fi BTL 15" - $384 (2000W RMS)

2. MA Audio EHO152 - $499 (5000W RMS)

3. Audiobahn AWES15P - $299 (1300W RMS)

4. Soundstream SPLX-154 - $349 (1000W RMS)

5. Hifonics Olympus OLM2415 - $369 (2400W RMS)

[Prices courtesy of online]

A setup using any of these subs will basically shake all the bolts in your vehicle loose. If you were to go with the MA Audio EHO i would probably only say to go with two because of their massive power capabilities. As far as powering these subs goes you will definitely need more power than you have. You will also need a much better box build. You would probably be fine with going with only 2 of any of these subs but its your choice. For a box design you should visit pwkdesigns.com. The guy there is a genius at box designs and you can buy a set of blueprints custom made for your application. The kind power you will need for this system will probably require an upgrade of your car's electrical system (larger altenator and more batteries).

Head Unit - Pioneer P80MP
Sub - 1 10" Soundstream T-5
Amps - 1 Kicker KX400.1, 1 Legacy crap 2 channel
Door Speakers - Audiobahn 600V Components
Box - Custom by Southern Sound in Statesboro, GA
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2009 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
Fi BTL is the best sub in that line up.
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2009 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  

soundnsecurity wrote:
Fi BTL is the best sub in that line up.

i would have to agree and the Fi BTL you can get fully loaded which will handle 5000rms

need some sound advice to pound - Page 4 -- posted image.
tigger76 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2009 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  

Hello guys. The stereo shops in my area are as follows.

Car Stereo City

Stereo King

Outragous Audio

Car Toys

Not really much to choose from. I went online to look at some of the dd's. I could never find more than 1? I have 6 cases of dynamat, 3 kinetik hc2400 battery's and 2 brand new special wound alts with another alt bracket for the second alt. I have 0 guage for all my big 3 already done. I don't know anything about what bracket I would be in if I go to a db compition? I cannot find one that is coming out my way anytime soon? I would really like to have either 6 or 4 subs. I know that for most of you that would be overkillneed some sound advice to pound - Page 4 -- posted image..

I will be trearing apart the suburban in the next coming weeks and will be sure to take lots of pics for the forum. I am going to put off getting the subs and amps until everyone tells me their opinions. I appreciate everything guys. Thank you. Phillip

soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2009 at 8:46 AM / IP Logged  
for competitions it depends on how they set it up. some classify you by your amps' rated power at 4 ohms, some classify you by cone area, and then they go even farther by looking if you have a wall or not. it all depends on their rules. sometimes they get very specific and sometimes they couldn't care less what modifications you have. i did a competition once where they made me run in the wall category because my box sticks about a 1/2 inch past the bottom of my rear window (i still took first need some sound advice to pound - Page 4 -- posted image.)
you wont find DD subs online because they dont sell online. you need to find a dealer or order over the phone. you might get lucky and find one on ebay but it will be used and wont have any kind of warranty.
as for subs suggestions here are mine in no particular order:
Fi BTL
MTX 9500
RE SX or XXX
Soundslpinter RL
Adire brahma(sp?)
DD 9500
cobrakilla27 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2009 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  

Why does everyone think that you get power in numbers of subs?!!!  I took my 1 dd9512 to a redline comp and smoked 4 15 alpine type r's that had 4000 watts goin to them.  If you really wanna go loud and win some comps heres my dream system..........  

2 dd9512s in a 6 cubic foot box port tuned to 40hz

and a stetsom 7kd amp which will push about 3500 watts rms to each sub.  If you do everythin right you will probably be able to hit over 160db. 

O and just to let you know the world record is currently being held by 1 sub.  1 18 inch dd sub with 4 stetsom 7kd amps goin to it hit 180.6db

soundnsecurity 
Posted: February 17, 2009 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  
cobrakilla27 wrote:

Why does everyone think that you get power in numbers of subs?!!!  I took my 1 dd9512 to a redline comp and smoked 4 15 alpine type r's that had 4000 watts goin to them.  If you really wanna go loud and win some comps heres my dream system..........  

2 dd9512s in a 6 cubic foot box port tuned to 40hz

and a stetsom 7kd amp which will push about 3500 watts rms to each sub.  If you do everythin right you will probably be able to hit over 160db. 

O and just to let you know the world record is currently being held by 1 sub.  1 18 inch dd sub with 4 stetsom 7kd amps goin to it hit 180.6db

i bet that record was set in a relatively small airspace that was walled off and sealed and probably was playing somewhere around a 50hz tone too. although i agree with you that sometimes less is more, this man still has to drive his car.
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic