icon

viper remote issues

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 28, 2009 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  
2 strange vehicles in a day... and i could use some advice....
vehicle 1, Viper 5500 lady was trying to program something on her remote and now she has no beep confirmation when locking or unlocking the doors...still beeps when she remote starts the vehicle... i checked programming with the Bitwriter and Confirmation Chirps is programmed ON in the menu... only the remote wont beep to confirm door lock/unlock, the icon still shows the doors locking and the doors do indeed lock and unlock, only no beep...... i programmed a new remote to her vehicle but same thing, no beep on lock or unlock with the new remote..... any ideas??
vehicle 2, Viper 5301 constantly get out of range notification... doors lock & unlock fine and remote starts fine, just get out of range response from LED 2-way remote.. i programmed a new remote, same thing, tried a new antenna, same thing, new antenna cable, same thing.... is there anything in the brain itself that will allow it to act as a 1-way, but not a 2-way? everything still works fine, just not getting the 2-way confirmation.... any ideas??
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2009 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged  
Is it me but  I've got a bad feeling  about the latest DEI two way remotes? Heck you can't even programme a new remote properly with pos door locks, you've got to ground the green.
robertsc 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2009 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  

I know you can turn off the page feature on the remote .

As to what it exactly does i don't know but it could be the source of your problems.

I have never turned that feature off for anybody.

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 03, 2009 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
paging is definatley turned ON... no one else having issues with the Responder LE remotes?  i'd heard they were problematic.......
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
robertsc 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2009 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  

I had a first generation and it needed to be charged every day.

So i phoned my rep and returned it for a different model.

ajstetler 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2009 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
kgerry wrote:
paging is definatley turned ON... no one else having issues with the Responder LE remotes?  i'd heard they were problematic.......
YES! I have had some go bad, but a buddy of mine runs a shop in MI, and he is constantly swapping brains out because the remotes fail to work. I am not happy with DEI's "new & improved" bull$h!t.
Big Al
holty 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2009 at 6:17 AM / IP Logged  
kgerry wrote:
vehicle 2, Viper 5301 constantly get out of range notification... doors lock & unlock fine and remote starts fine, just get out of range response from LED 2-way remote.. i programmed a new remote, same thing, tried a new antenna, same thing, new antenna cable, same thing.... is there anything in the brain itself that will allow it to act as a 1-way, but not a 2-way? everything still works fine, just not getting the 2-way confirmation.... any ideas??
NOTE: I'm a consumer, not a installer.
I'm having this EXACT same issue with my 5901. Its intermittant though, sometimes i get the out of range response on the remote and sometimes it works fine, but the car always responds fine. Is there a fix for this or am i going to have to take it back to my installer? Asking because the shop i deal with is an hour away, i hate having to make trips up there if i don't have to.
Holty
'03 Chevy Silverado SS
'04 Nissan Maxima SL
p/t installer 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2009 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  
don't know about your 5500 issue, but the 5501 and 5901 or  any of the responder le or responder sst units (meaning 1st batch)  have had antena issues to not working in cold weather some will come back when it warms up some won't come back at all either way there is an antenna swapout from dei our swapouts came in with a silver dot painted on it.  40 percent still did not respond so we got back to dei and apparently some of the units required what dei called a reboot.  what you do is first install the new antenna then unplug all the harnesses at the unit except for the the main harness with the thick guage wires now with all the harnesses unplugged except the main one you ground a regular one wire test light and drag it accross all of the exposed pins to reboot .  you will here onboard relays clicking this is a good thing,  after you've shorted, (not literally) the pins by dragging your test light accross all of them plug all the harnesses back in and most of the time you don't even have to go through the programming everything programmed was remembered and away you go.  done this many times already, with new antenna for colder climates and the rebooting you won't see this customer again and both of you are happy.  let me konw if this helped
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2009 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
p/t installer wrote:
don't know about your 5500 issue, but the 5501 and 5901 or  any of the responder le or responder sst units (meaning 1st batch)  have had antena issues to not working in cold weather some will come back when it warms up some won't come back at all either way there is an antenna swapout from dei our swapouts came in with a silver dot painted on it.  40 percent still did not respond so we got back to dei and apparently some of the units required what dei called a reboot.  what you do is first install the new antenna then unplug all the harnesses at the unit except for the the main harness with the thick guage wires now with all the harnesses unplugged except the main one you ground a regular one wire test light and drag it accross all of the exposed pins to reboot .  you will here onboard relays clicking this is a good thing,  after you've shorted, (not literally) the pins by dragging your test light accross all of them plug all the harnesses back in and most of the time you don't even have to go through the programming everything programmed was remembered and away you go.  done this many times already, with new antenna for colder climates and the rebooting you won't see this customer again and both of you are happy.  let me konw if this helped
can you use a resistor instead of a test light? if so, what ohm resistor?
another-kelly 
Silver - Posts: 618
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2009 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  
kgerry wrote:
<SPAN class=post>
vehicle 2, Viper 5301 constantly get out of range notification... doors lock & unlock fine and remote starts fine, just get out of range response from LED 2-way remote.. i programmed a new remote, same thing, tried a new antenna, same thing, new antenna cable, same thing.... is there anything in the brain itself that will allow it to act as a 1-way, but not a 2-way? everything still works fine, just not getting the 2-way confirmation.... any ideas??</SPAN>
try disconnecting power from the brain for at least 30 seconds to "reboot" it. otherwise you have to swap the brain
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic