icon

viper remote issues

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ajstetler 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2009 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  
I had a Viper 5901 come in today with remote problems. DEI's fix is to solder in a 5k-10k ohm resistor on the blue wire in the antenna cable and delete all remotes to the brain and reprogram. I think that is a little unnecessary.
Big Al
p/t installer 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2009 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  
why are you affraid to use a test light?  the only pins you are supplying ground to are either negative inputs or negative outputs.  with the exception of maybe the white parklight wire pin which does not see 12 volts until the unit is activated.  if you think it's bad to ground (-) ins or outs then don't do this.  otherwise, last week i did this again on a 5901 viper and it worked yet again and no the unit did not fry, just leave the main harness plugged in and that's all.  i would not post this if i fried something.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2009 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
I'm so with p/tinstaller here.  I've been doing this work since the 1970's and I still use a Snap-On incandescent test-light.  I realise what we try to teach novices about correct practice  but I've never found anything better at sniffing out door contacts or working out how the lock triggers work. Yes when I'm unsure especially on a newer vehicle or testing resistive wiring  I'll use a DMM,  I also use a Mac 120 test tool with LEDs,  its wonderfully  fast for finding tach,  just watch the LEDs flash!  In the application you were using an incandescent test light would probably have been the safest as the bulb acts as a buffer. It's also faster at finding the mute wire on a head unit.
cma12807 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2009 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  

kgerry wrote:
vehicle 2, Viper 5301 constantly get out of range notification... doors lock & unlock fine and remote starts fine, just get out of range response from LED 2-way remote.. i programmed a new remote, same thing, tried a new antenna, same thing, new antenna cable, same thing.... is there anything in the brain itself that will allow it to act as a 1-way, but not a 2-way? everything still works fine, just not getting the 2-way confirmation.... any ideas??

I'm having the same problem but with a Python 872.  Remote received confirmation until a couple of months ago.  Replaced batteries, didn't work.  Got a new remote and programmed by a different installer (original install by Circuit City) still no confirmation.  I am not an installer, but was going to have a friend look at it.  Will the suggestions here work for the Python or will my friend have to do something else.  Also, I don't have the install manual.  If anyone does, could you post it somewhere.

Thanks

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 28, 2009 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  
i have found that they need to be "rebooted".....  2 ways to do this are to disconnect the vehicle battery for a couple of minutes or else pull the 15 amp fuse on the red wire of the secondary harness which powers the brain (this is usually what i do)   then they work fine again... a PITA, yes... but a quick fix
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
cma12807 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2009 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  

Kevin, will I have to reprogram the remote after disconnecting the battery or the 15 amp?

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 01, 2009 at 2:19 PM / IP Logged  
nope
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Page of 2