Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2009 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
The eagle has landed...I got 4-resistors, 4-z44's, 2-tip35's and 2-tip36's
This is what I do for FUN!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 10, 2009 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
I will re-read later tonight and get back to you then or tomorrow evening. 
i am an idiot 
Posted: September 12, 2009 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  

If you have verified that there is 5 volts on the left leg of each of the power supply transistor pads, and you have the resistors or the light bulb to limit the current, we are ready to start installing the parts.  Do not turn the amp on without mounting it back into the heat sink.  And you must install the resistors or the light bulb in series with the power wire.

When soldering the parts back in, the left leg of the power supply transistors are very critical that you get a good solder connection.  It is really essential that all of the solder connections are good.  But if there is a bad connection on the left leg of the power supply transistor will cause that transistor to turn on full throttle, and that will not be good  at all.

ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2009 at 1:46 AM / IP Logged  
alrighty then..
- Install all 3 fuses back to the rated Amps
- resistors paralleled to 2 ohm's, in series to +12v
- verify 5v on all left legs
- remove existing pins from board, solder in new components
- verify connection quality
- reassemble all pieces and parts, including heat sinks
- check back in before energizing
i am an idiot 
Posted: September 13, 2009 at 4:16 AM / IP Logged  

Using your ohm meter, (if you have not done this yet)  we need to check the resistors connected directly to the left leg of the power supply transistors.  They should all be the same value.  If one is not in tolerance it needs to be replaced.

We need to put a single 5 amp fuse in the fuses for each supply.  I think I remember that there are 2 separate sets of fuses.  One for the 4 channel section and another set for the Sub channel.  If this is the case, one 5 amp fuse in each of the 2 banks of fuses, for a total of 2 fuses.

When you do turn it on, you need to leave it on for only 5 seconds then turn it off.   When you turn it off, touch the resistor briefly to see if it is hot or warm.  If not warm, try it for 10 or 15 seconds and repeat.  While it is on for these brief periods, check the left leg of each power supply transistor, if any of them are different than the pack, stop and post your findings.

ianarian 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2009 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  
All resistors re-checked and good. Ya, I got 2-25a fuses for the Front and Rear. It was the 40a for the sub that wouldnt hold. All loaded with 5a for now. My gun isnt cutting it, its on its death bed...Ima go get another one tonight. The legs are a little difficult to remove, Im taking care not to damage anything.
i am an idiot 
Posted: September 13, 2009 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  

Do not even attempt this using a gun type soldering iron.  If you have to purchase an iron, at least look into a Weller branded iron.  A WP-35 shuld work well for you.

http://www.amazon.com/Weller-Watts-Professional-Soldering-3-wire/dp/B000WT6LOI
It may be easier to cut the legs off of the parts and remove them one leg at a time.  Cut them as close as you can to the case of the transistors.

tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2009 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  
I am doing the same thing...A few were easier just cutting legs and pulling with a pair of needle nose...! Others i would just put my tip on the leg...it would heat up...then push it through the board...Just thought i would add that...!...
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
ianarian 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2009 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
Yea, I got a weller now, its a pen type...you people are crazy, this tedious stuff is nuts. Anyway, I got all the transistors in and am ready to screw in the heat sinks. Do I need to add any white grease to the backs of the new sinks? Or is what is left on the little plastic sheet enough?
i am an idiot 
Posted: September 15, 2009 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
The heat sink compound is essential for the transistors to be able to dissapate the heat.  Radio Shack sells a small tube that should be enough to handle your job.
Page of 8

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic