the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

pro’s vs joe’s

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2009 at 11:04 AM / IP Logged  
You have that sort of background yet you think the acoustic properties of stones inside your enclosure are having some sort of magical effect?  I smell something normally associated with cattle in pastures...
Support the12volt.com
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2009 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
I smell something normally associated with cattle in pastures...
Shrooms?pro’s vs joe’s - Page 3 -- posted image.
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2009 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  

soundnsecurity wrote:
DYohn wrote:
I smell something normally associated with cattle in pastures...
Shrooms?pro’s vs joe’s - Page 3 -- posted image.

That was awesome...Back to boxrox...? You said you tried different stuff...Were any as heavy as the rocks...Even so...Couldnt you only reproduce the exact situation you have...Same box...amp...size,shape,weight of rocks...? Anyhow...Have you guys ever seen the book of japanese inventions that never quite made it...The laminated news paper...The suction cup head brace for bus/subway...Etc...Think we have a new entry...? I applaud you on your Umphh...But seriously...BoxRox...LOL

M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2009 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  
ianarian wrote:
The 3rd rock was the airspace clincher YES.... but before rock I tried MDF, oak, pine and pressure treated all in a multitude of volumes. With poly batting, without batting, reversed polarity, inverted, 3 different brands/wattages of class D amps, LP coils wound several different ways, LP rca inline filters in 5 different frequency's. I was hoping for a suggestion that I havnt tried. Iasca has judged 4 vehicles I've been honored to fine tune, (which aint saying much) but they believed my interpretation of the mobile standard was flawless to the human ear.(BFD considering source, but nice to hear) THX, IMSA Level 1&2, Light Brigade Fiber Optic, Bang and Olufsen, Arc, Nortel, Nextel and 3M certifications ranging in design, consultation, maintenance and installation, as well as NJATC/NEMA Journeyman degree's by trade in Pro A/V, Traffic Signal and Sound&Communication.   Ya, I need science to prove that my ears and knowledge are playing a joke on me.
I change my vote... Option 1.
Dude. Believe me... I have been there, and I have done that... I can't (and really... DON'T) believe that iASCA judges have said that "they believed your interpretation of the mobile standard was flawless to the human ear". If they did, then why are there NO mentions of this "flawless interpretation" anywhere? There aren't any to be found, because there aren't any that exist.
I also have had iASCA judges sit in my car - jfinks, a member of this very forum - and he never mentioned stuffing my TL with rocks. There are other iASCA SQ competitors here - dwarren is one of them (I think he's an SQ competitor - if he's not, I apologize, I thought he was) and he never mentioned getting spanked by the RoxBox.
Dude, seriously... It sounded better, because you wanted it to sound better. The VERY granular tuning of volume for your enclosure, allowing fine tuning of the Q; the density and mass of the rocks preventing vibration in the volume; the psychoacoustic properties that I am CERTAIN were there in at least SOME small fashion...
It ain't magic - it's science and psychology... That's all.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
mike swanson 
Copper - Posts: 290
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2009 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  
ianarian wrote:
HAHa dam, nice, I love the feedback. Airspace...wow..ya geez, why didnt I think of that..cmon....I WISH I didnt know any better. Amp, box and a booming I go, those were the good ol days. Knowledge is costly. Speakers on a 4ch amp bridged 240x2 , subs a dual 4.
So the subs are @ 8ohm per ch?
If you have them x2 your amp cant run them any lower. So 240w @ 8ohm?????????
Also Why are you testing 2007 Subs?
They have changed since then. They dont even look like that now.
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2009 at 4:18 AM / IP Logged  
*When the amp is bridged 4ch-2ch, minimum impedance is 4ohm/ch, the sub has dual 4 ohm coils... *Iasca ID #10969 IDBL stk-1. Dont tell.   *Everything I get is usually a past model, most still brand new. *Some of your advices I hold in the highest regard, no disrespect. I took out the rocks for a couple days. Had to put em back in. Thanks for trying to talk sense fellas, I'll be getting a new sub soon. *Roxbox 3000G series originated as a temp weight to maintain contour on 1st layer of glass on interior carpets.
*The 3500G Converted series will feature polished rocks with HD magnified viewing window. 2.9% discount to all the12volt members.
This is what I do for FUN!
mike swanson 
Copper - Posts: 290
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2009 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  
ianarian wrote:
*When the amp is bridged 4ch-2ch, minimum impedance is 4ohm/ch, the sub has dual 4 ohm coils... *Iasca ID #10969 IDBL stk-1. Dont tell.   *Everything I get is usually a past model, most still brand new. *Some of your advices I hold in the highest regard, no disrespect. I took out the rocks for a couple days. Had to put em back in. Thanks for trying to talk sense fellas, I'll be getting a new sub soon. *Roxbox 3000G series originated as a temp weight to maintain contour on 1st layer of glass on interior carpets.
*The 3500G Converted series will feature polished rocks with HD magnified viewing window. 2.9% discount to all the12volt members.
THAT IS YOUR RESPONCE?
The point to the ohms is that you ran 1 sub on this 4ch amp @ 8ohms for near no power. To me a less powered sub should be in a smaller ported box with NO ROCKS
Why test old subs? What good is that to any1?
They should give you the new subs to test.
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2009 at 1:48 AM / IP Logged  
Micheal!...did you do your homework...lets take a look..all ratings here are at 4 ohm. Im using option 1, except both coils are on 1 sub. The amp peaks at 1000w..Option 4 is peak power, the least resistance possible-120x4@2ohm + 240x2@4ohm=1000w +/-....I agree, they outta gimme new stuff to test...except they do it themselves with their current installs. Opiniarian, Memphis as a brand, needs to offer more to the less affluent enthusiasts.    
pro’s vs joe’s - Page 3 -- posted image.
This is what I do for FUN!
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2009 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  
test this, measure the exact volume of those rocks and then build an identical enclosure minus the airspace of the rocks and see how that sounds.
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2009 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  
Wow...So this is really not a joke...BoxRox, Had to put the stones back in...! Why again do they have you test old subs...I didnt quite follow...? What should Memphis Do...?
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic