the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

turn on/off neons with remote or switch?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sigman70 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2009 at 12:24 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks again Kevin...after I get the parts I'll probably post again to ask about the connections (hopefully I haven't worn out my welcome!).  I'll try to have a diagram as well.  Thanks!

-Dave

sigman70
sigman70 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2009 at 8:16 AM / IP Logged  

Hello again Kevin...I finally got all (or at least I hope all) of the parts for this.  I've tried to come up with a diagram of everything...I just am not sure how to hook all of this up!  Do you think you could take a look and let me know how I would go about connecting everything?  Thanks!!

turn on/off neons with remote or switch? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

sigman70
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 30, 2009 at 8:51 AM / IP Logged  
Kevin Pierson
sigman70 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2009 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  

Kevin thanks for the reply on this!  I wanted to check a few things on the diagram you filled out. 

- I should hook up the 12v source (battery) with a 10Kohm resistor to the negative output of the remote starter?  This then gets attached to the XOR gate as shown?

- For the switch...it looks like you have me hooking up the negative terminal of the switch straight to the XOR gate...so I don't need to use the accessory terminal on the switch?

- I don't see where the neon lights are depicted...would I hook up the 14 pin on the XOR gate to the positive terminal on the distribution block for the neons? (on your diagram it shows the 14 pin going to the 12v source).

- Would I need to have a circuit board to attach the wires to the XOR gate, or do you think I could just solder the wires directly to the XOR gate?

Sorry for all the questions (which probably seem dumb)...just don't want to blow anything up when I try hooking this all up...lol.  Thanks!!

sigman70
KPierson 
Posted: October 30, 2009 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  
sigman70 wrote:

Kevin thanks for the reply on this!  I wanted to check a few things on the diagram you filled out. 

- I should hook up the 12v source (battery) with a 10Kohm resistor to the negative output of the remote starter?  This then gets attached to the XOR gate as shown?

Yes.  The output of the remote start is "floating to ground".  The 10Kohm resistor will provide voltage on the pin when the output is off, and will allow the ground to "seize the line" when the output is on. 

sigman70 wrote:

- For the switch...it looks like you have me hooking up the negative terminal of the switch straight to the XOR gate...so I don't need to use the accessory terminal on the switch?

I didn't really understand what you were showing on the switch, but now I do.  I didn't realize you were showing a 3 pin switch.  I don't have a ground connected to the switch - I only showed the input (+) and output (acc).  Sorry for that confusion.  Ground the (-) pin of the switch if it has one (ie if it is lighted).

sigman70 wrote:

- I don't see where the neon lights are depicted...would I hook up the 14 pin on the XOR gate to the positive terminal on the distribution block for the neons? (on your diagram it shows the 14 pin going to the 12v source).

I didn't show them (obviously).  I assumed you already had a relay running the lights and that when the relay is energized the lights turn on.  This would be Relay 1.  If you don't have a relay currently you will need to hook the neons up to Relay one (there are two different ways to do it, so I didn't bother showing any way).  The "traditional" way would be to connect Pin 30 to 12vdc and connect pin 87 to the neon control box.  Then, connect the ground on the neon control box to ground.

sigman70 wrote:

- Would I need to have a circuit board to attach the wires to the XOR gate, or do you think I could just solder the wires directly to the XOR gate?

I would highly recomend a circuit board.  The legs are flimsy and will fatigue and break if you solder wires directly to them.  I would also recomend getting a socket and soldering it to the board, then putting the chip in the socket.  You can get prototype boards at Radioshack (and similar places) that are designed for IC chips - that would be a good start.  I would also try to find a board that is flexible enough to allow you to solder all the components needed to it (transistor, diode, resistors).

sigman70 wrote:

Sorry for all the questions (which probably seem dumb)...just don't want to blow anything up when I try hooking this all up...lol.  Thanks!!

No problems on the questions, sorry I wasn't very clear - I had a 10am meeting and wanted to get the picture done and posted before it started!

Kevin Pierson
sigman70 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2009 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  

Hey thanks Kevin for responding...I'm hoping I have this now!  I've updated the diagram below - can you let me know if I have this right?  I wasn't sure if I was supposed to leave pin 86 going to 12v source as well as pin 30?  If this is correct (having both the 86 & 30 pins going to 12v source), then would the diode go just between pin 85 and 30, or would it go across all pins (85, 30 & 86)?

sigman70
KPierson 
Posted: October 30, 2009 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  
Thats looks good as is.  Don't forget to fuse as necesarry.
Kevin Pierson
sigman70 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2009 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  
Hey thanks soooooo much for ALL of your help on this Kevin!!  I really appreciate it!  turn on/off neons with remote or switch? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
sigman70
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic