ultra start in grand cherokee

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
puzzleboy 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2009 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  

Hi all.  My first post here. 

I'm going to install an Ultra Start remote starter in my '99 Grand Cherokee.  The vehicle does not have a Sentry Key system, so I don't need a bypass.  Wondering if anyone can help me out. 

Exactly what wires in the column to tap into, resistor(s) and/or relays required, etc. I only want the unit to function as a remote starter (no door locks, trunk, etc.).  I'm a bit confused with the parking light part too - does it really need a relay and resistor, or just a resistor?  On this site, I've got the wiring description for my vehicle (I'm good with that), as well as the Installation Note for Jeeps which eliminates the reqmt. for a resistored parking light circuit - connects directly to the parking light relay terminal. 

Anybody have any idea why my starter (Ultra Start) would have 2 12 volt inputs?  Do I just use one of them?  Also, according to Bulldog Security's wiring guide on their site, it says parking light system should use the negative output from my module.  Can anyone confirm this? 
The wires for my starter are:
Starter Output (+) YELLOW
Heater/Accessory Output (+) GREEN
12 Volt Input (+) 30amp RED
12 Volt Input (+) 30amp RED
Selectable Output (+) WHITE
Ignition Output (+) BLUE
Diesel wait to start input (+ or -) BLUE
Brake Switch Input (+) PINK
Horn Output (-) WHITE/ BLUE
System Ground Input (-) BLACK
Park Light Output (+) 10 amp WHITE
Hood pin switch Input (-) GREEN / WHITE
Tach Detection Input (A/C) BLUE/WHITE
Re-arm Output (-) YELLOW
Trunk Release Output (-) RED / WHITE
Dis-arm Output (-) 250ma BROWN
Negative Park Light Output (-)250ma ORANGE
Ground While Running Output WHITE/ VIOLET
Appreciate any help you can offer!
Jason

t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2009 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
I have no personal experience with that particular starter, but, normallly two twelve volt inputs on a remote start is normal, to power the starter circuit along with the ignition and accesory circuits.
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
puzzleboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2009 at 12:39 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for your reply!

Well, there are two wires in my ignition harness that are 12v constant.  A red wire, and a pink/black.  Unfortunately, the install guide that came with my starter is too vague.  I'd hate to fry anything.....  any suggestions?   One to each? 

Also, for things like heater/accessory output and selectable output, I guess it's o.k. just to tape them off and stow them if they're not being used? 

Thanks.

tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2009 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  
Why are you not powering up HVAC...? Whats the point of the remote start...? It is normal to have more then one 12v in ignition harness...One to each is fine...! Yes you can just tape up the wires you are not using...! Which Ultra Start is it...? On some you can change it to negative parking lights in the menu...!
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
puzzleboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2009 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the input!  It's a G11t.  It has a negative parking light output as well, so I will just not use the positive one. 

I do want the windshield defrost of the vehicle to come on, dependent on the setting I left it on.  But this should work anyway once the vehicle is remote started, no?  The only extra I would want powered would be the rear defrost, but I don't want that to turn on with every start. 

So Heater/ACC output I will use, but I'm guessing I don't need to use the selectable output, etc.?

I've only installed one of these before, and it was a factory version.  I just don't want to screw anything up!

tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2009 at 11:20 AM / IP Logged  
The selectable output is for 2nd starter,acc,or ignition...! Does your have 2 of any of these...? if so you would use it...!
M.E.C.P & First-Class
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2009 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  
BatteryPINK/BLACK(+)OR RED IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
ultra start in grand cherokee -- posted image.Ignition 1DARK BLUE(+)IGNITION HARNESS
ultra start in grand cherokee -- posted image.Accessory 1RED / BLACK(+)IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
ultra start in grand cherokee -- posted image.Accessory 2BLACK/ ORANGE(+)IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
ultra start in grand cherokee -- posted image.Starter 1YELLOW(+)OR YEL/BLU IGNITION HARNESS
ultra start in grand cherokee -- posted image.Anti-Theft TypeRF ACTIVATED SYS.
ultra start in grand cherokee -- posted image.Anti-Theft DescriptTHE KEY SENDS AN RF SIGNAL TO THE BCM MODULE THROUGH THE KEY CYLINDER
ultra start in grand cherokee -- posted image.Neutral SafetyYELLOW(+)IGNITION SWITCH
ultra start in grand cherokee -- posted image.TachometerTAN/WHITE(AC)PCM RIGHT REAR CORNER ENG (1 CYL SETTING
ultra start in grand cherokee -- posted image.Speed SenseWHITE/ ORANGE(AC)PIN 27 PCM LEFT FENDER SIDE SHIELD
ultra start in grand cherokee -- posted image.Parking LightsYELLOW(-)1K OHM RESISTOR AT THE STEERING COLUM HARNESS...USE A 1K OHM RESISTOR. MAY ALSO BE AN 820 OHM RESISTOR. ultra start in grand cherokee -- posted image.
ultra start in grand cherokee -- posted image.Brake LightsWHITE/ TAN(+)SWITCH ON PEDAL
ultra start in grand cherokee -- posted image.Reverse LightsVIOLET/BLACK(+)72 PIN CONN POS 6 BEHIND PASS KICK
ultra start in grand cherokee -- posted image.HornGRAY/ORANGE(-)52 PIN CONN POS 1 BEHIND LEFT SIDE OF DA
M.E.C.P & First-Class
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2009 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  
Heres how to do door locks w/o using a bypass... http://documents.codesystems.com/700661.pdf ...I know you mentioned not including door locks...But thought i would post it anyway...Good Luck on install...! And your ignition key is black...right...?
M.E.C.P & First-Class
puzzleboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2009 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  

What is a second starter? 

No anti theft on my Jeep (was an option).   Dumb question - I guess all the outputs are required because with the key in the off position (during remote start operation), the circuits are not powered (heat, etc.)?

I only have the inputs and outputs listed in my first post.  What are speed sense, and reverse lights used for in a remote starter install? 

Thanks again.

Jason

tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2009 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  
None of these wires you mentioned apply to you...You will need to power up the HVAC in order for the heater to blow...The 2nd starter is for newer dodge's...nissan's...etc...Again it does not apply in your situation...
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic