icon

complete novice, alarm/remote start, 88 mr2

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2009 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
OK shove gear to neutral, feed from your 12volt constant source to the ignition, then fed from ignition to starter by flashing across. One of those two will start the car if it takes both, wire as follows. Your remote start starter output, feed from that to relay 86, ground to relay 85, constant 12V+ fused at 30amps to 30 and second starter wire from 87.
You might have only 1 ignition wire, there's no reason why not.
scoobyblue 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2009 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  
ok howie , i will try that in the morning and post the result , many thanks for thr prompt reply
boxhead78 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2009 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
1987-90 Toyota MR2 Alarm, Remote Starter, Keyless Entry Wiring Information
Constant 12V+WHITE/ Red Ignition Switch Harness 
StarterBLACK/ White Ignition Switch Harness 
IgnitionBLACK / YELLOW Ignition Switch Harness 
Ignition 2BLACK/ Orange Ignition Switch Harness 
AccessoryBlue/Black Ignition Switch Harness 
TachBlack Test Connector 
Brake SwitchGREEN / WHITE Brake Switch 
Trunk Pinn/a  
Parking LightsGreen Connector in Passenger's Kick Panel 
Head LampRED / White And Red at Connector in Passenger's Kick Panel 
Hood Pinn/a  
Factory Disarmn/a  
Door TriggerRED / White (-) Or RED / Yellow (-) at Connector in Passenger's Kick 
Door LockBlue/White (-) Driver's Kick Panel 
Door UnlockBlue/Red (-)  
Horn WireGREEN/ Red (-) Connector in Passenger's Kick Panel 
Cruise Control Information  Stereo Information  View all Toyota Vehicles
boxead78
scoobyblue 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2009 at 3:55 AM / IP Logged  

hi , thanks for that post but i had already looked that up on the forum the problem is that my wiring coe doesnt match all those colours , howie suggested flashing the ignitiion, but when i went to do it i bottled out(sorry howie) my wires and the readings i get are below if any geniuses out there can identify them it would be a great help . the general consensus is that theBLACK/ white wire is the starter but the BROWN / red behaves almost the same

complete novice, alarm/remote start, 88 mr2 - Page 4 -- posted image.

scoobyblue 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2009 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  

i traced the ignition wires further down the harness to another plug and found that the wires on the other side of that are "by the book" so i can only presume the ignition barrel was changed at some time . there is a brown and red wire going to a black and white wire and a black and white wire going to a second identical black and white wire , so in essence there are two starter wires coming from the ignition switch!go figure !

anyway i should be able to sort it all out tomorrow evening but in the back of my mind i will always wonder why the two different coloured wires connect to two smaller diameter wires of the same colour, in other words why does start require two wires , any suggestions would be useful , not for the install but for my own curiosity 

scoobyblue 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2009 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  

i am currently installing my new alarm (yes howie , still doing it ), this is a picture of the supposed starter kill relay supplied with the alarm with their colour coding labelled . i have looked at your database and cant match this method of wiring with any of the examples given . i  presume that i still have to cut the starter wire and wire as usual or is this a different way of doing it . any suggestions or explanations gratefully received .

complete novice, alarm/remote start, 88 mr2 - Page 4 -- posted image.

the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2009 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  

scoobyblue, please do not create a new topic for each part of your installation. Please continue posting in this thread.

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~1725

Thanks in advance.

complete novice, alarm/remote start, 88 mr2 - Page 4 -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2009 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
Ref that relay in your last photo, it's completely wrong, could you tell me the terminal numbers those colours go to please?
scoobyblue 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2009 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  

white -30

red-87a

yellow-86

orange(alarm start kill negative 500ma output)-85

blue-87

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2009 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  
The white yellow and orange are correct, red goes to starter (starter side ) and joined to the remote start's starter output. yellow is joined to the ignition and remote start's ignition output. Orange is the r/s alarm's GWA wire, i.e ground when armed. Ignore the blue, you don't have a 2nd ignition also at the ignition lead, don't wire up the brown or BROWN / red.
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic