icon

kinetik marine, automotive

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rfhvhtoo 
Copper - Posts: 238
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2010 at 1:19 AM / IP Logged  
Hey im looking at getting the Kinetik KM-27 but I need to know if there's anything that holds people back from Making the Kinetik Marine batteries their Stereo and Cranking Battery thanks.
I can't hear you!
incognyto 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2010 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  
I have a interstate marine deep cycle in my car. seem's to work fine. every time i hook it up to my buddy's new digital agm gel cell charger it read's 100% and it wiz's him off haha. his batt's are alway's in the 70's and 80's so her charges them all the time. I also put a redtop gel cell into the trunk of the car without a isolation relay and haven't had a problem yet.
rfhvhtoo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2010 at 4:09 AM / IP Logged  
awesome yeah The kinetik Marine Batteries seem to be cheaper than their Normal Car audio Battery yet they are suppose to be the same battery just different posts. I'm sure it'll work out thanks alot!
I can't hear you!
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2010 at 7:30 PM / IP Logged  
rfhvhtoo wrote:
... seem to be cheaper than their Normal Car audio Battery yet they are suppose to be the same battery ...
LOL! As with so many "audio" labelled and "special battery" items. (Fun when you confirm the same product but at many times the price.)
rfhvhtoo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2010 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  
Do you think The MArine Batteries Can Handle the HIGH OUTPUT alternator?
I can't hear you!
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2010 at 7:33 AM / IP Logged  
What do you mean hi output alternator?
Unless the alternator puts out a higher voltage than the battery can tolerate, it's not a problem.
If the battery is 12V with 14.4V max charge (long term) and the alternator puts out (max) 14.4V, it doesn't matter if the alternator is 100A, 1,000A, or 10-giga Amps - it will not fry nor mis-effect the battery.
rfhvhtoo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2010 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks Old spark and IM starting to see that the 80AH MArine Kinetik Battery im looking at has a Marine Cranking Amp of 1050amps for the KM-24/HC1800 , and shuriken has a "Car audio" battery that is 80AH as well and saying 1900amps Cranking amps for the approximate same price. Is that accurate cranking amp rating by shuriken or just Manipulated marketing?
I can't hear you!
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2010 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
Manipulated Marketing?
Don't you mean Marketing Mistake?
Maybe the interpreted their version of the HC1800 as meaning 1800CCA and a missing segment made if 1900CCA.
I'm sure others wouldn't do what a company once did here. We specified 10 year life rating so the big dude struck out his 5 and wrote 10. Alas we knew better (or found out). Besides, we knew their battery was crap.
Years later I found out from my "domestic" battery supplier that he refused to stock them - they had a 15% return rate (compared to 1% - 2% for others)!
I wish for good name of the other Greek gods that they have since improved.
But such batteries should have their ESR specified (Equiv Series Resistance - aka Internal Resistance, usually).
Their short circuit current is determined by their internal resistance, so max current is ~12.8/ESR Amps (12.8 or whatever their full Open Circuit terminal voltage is.)
Obviously a CCA cannot exceed short cct current, though I'm unsure how close it gets.... maybe 30%, or higher?
I'm assuming this is for a second battery for hi-power audio? Else why the high CCA - though I need to review CCA; I've tended not to worry about it...
(IE - best is normal battery for cranking, then 2nd low ESR battery near amps. A low ESR remote from the amps may be wasted. And their is the big-3 and alternator capacity etc etc.)
And I'll see what I can find about the above specs...
But later.... (remind me if I forget or delay...)
But others might have REAL experience with the above. (read: pls save me!) LOL. Or Odyssey or others...?
rfhvhtoo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2010 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  

It's not claiming that its 1900 Cold Cranking Amps just Cranking Amps. I know there's a difference in those numbers. Also I am only going to run 1 battery so I will be using it for my Starting and Audio System Battery Since I have a 220 Amp HO alt. I have a truck so i really dont have much space to Put a second Battery.

Here are the kinetik Normal car audio Battery specs (below) and Cranking amps so Now im starting to think there's an actual reason for the different prices even though the Marine Kinetik KM-24 (80AH) is 1800 amps its Marine Cranking Amps is 1050. and the Kinetik Car audio HC1800 (81AH)  cranking amps is 1350amps. http://www.kinetikaudio.com/manuals/khccells.pdf

Yet the shuriken 80AH Car audio Battery is supposedly 1900 Cranking Amps. Seems like Shuriken are cheaper and Better by these numbers.

http://www.shurikenonline.com/

Thanks for the Help

I can't hear you!
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2010 at 3:41 AM / IP Logged  
I was assuming a battery intended for audio.
Otherwise it's merely a cranking issue so whatever battery gives you the cranking power you need.
I've seen Kinetics' "More power than a cap" before and have been somewhat amused. (To me that's such a Doh! statement!)
What I note in their blurb though is (1) no figures for ESR, and (2) not comments about issues with AGMs (don't flatten and leave uncharged; don't overcharge!; and maybe thermal runaway).
And who the heck needs to check levels in modern good low-maintenance wet batteries - especially with the power-eye? (Ok, I did after 3 years, but never since - and they are now 8 years old.)
Usually an AGM has at least half the ESR of an equivalent wet cell - eg, say 4-7 versus 10-14 milliOhms aka mR.
For audio, the AGM is placed near the amps thereby negating the need for a smaller AGM (instead of a cap) near the amps and the standard battery is kept in the engine bay. They are not connected together permanently (ie not paralleled except when charging).
If the AGM instead replaces the original battery, and the cable resistance to the amp and back through ground is say 5-10mR, then that is as effective as placing a standard battery next to the amps (ie, total resistance including ESRs from each battery to the amps is the same).
The AGM in the engine bay is better than the standard battery if you have no other option, but it's somewhat wasted in comparison...
The Shuriken is simlar to the Kinetics - NO ESRs are listed. Why not?
And now I'm wondering if I saw the Kinetics on here somewhere, or was it some weeks ago in a local AutoChain shop where I also noted some other AGM battery and its AMAZING similarity to another reputable AGM - except for its terminals, and that it cost over three times as much!!! But presume it had better specs for Pulsating loads.
I have seen many things that look alike but are totally different in (production) quality. But I seem to find a lot that is the same thing but inflated with the addition of expensive bullsh.
I guess you need to decide based on why you want the CA or CCA.
I can't comment on the quality and hype of either battery, but I would expect AGMs to spec their ESR (else short circuit current) because that is often an important reason for their choice (not for vintage or collectors cars maybe, but for most others...).
I also expect AGMs to have max charge voltage and current limits, plus standing and discharge/recharge data - but the latter comes from AGM usage in UPS (Uninterruptables...)
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic