icon

kinetik marine, automotive

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2010 at 6:33 AM / IP Logged  
Doesnt the power eye only monitor one cell...?
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
rfhvhtoo 
Copper - Posts: 238
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2010 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  
Well I hear that Batteries that are different will end up draining each other trying to get to their unique resting charge. Is this true?
I can't hear you!
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2010 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  
rfhvhtoo wrote:
Well I hear that Batteries that are different will end up draining each other trying to get to their unique resting charge. Is this true?
Not when charging. Hence my method.
(And FYI - the same age & batch battery but one in the boot/trunk and one in the engine bay will have differences - eg, temperature.)
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2010 at 4:45 AM / IP Logged  
tommy... wrote:
Doesnt the power eye only monitor one cell...?
Sorry Tommy - I didn't answer that.
Yeah - I suppose it has to since wet-cells are separated.
I guess the theory is most should be the same...
Mind you, it could explain why my Mum's battery (2004?) has had a clear eye since aged ~1 year (green - clear - red) yet the battery has been fine - the eye may be in the faulty cell....
Else maybe just a fault float-ball.
And yes, fluid levels were checked & are fine as that can cause the ball to drop as per low density electrolyte.
I did initially lol at power-eyes. What bling/wank! But it was spotting a clear window whilst over 1,000 miles from home that alerted me to a quietly slipping fan belt - before stalling in a non-push-start environment! (That was before fitting a voltmeter - in fact that prioritised the Vmeter!)
Later I found them convenient to monitor idle vehicles or batteries.   
However, they are an aid rather than a tool.
They may not be trustworthy, nor are they accurate enough for detail.
A voltmeter should indicate remaining capacity to within 10% or if overcharging - a power eye won't do that.
FYI - Recently I saw my above comment/hint about NOT paralleling even matched batteries was recently stated by some battery guru. (It's fine at first, but when the difference do start to appear, it's a downward spiral.)
And I found the new Bill Darden site at http://www.jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/ - I read some of his stuff from his former site and was very impressed. Now moved & updated, I'm impressed that we still agree - on most things. (LOL!)
See in particular his Car and Deep Cycle Battery Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) (English Version) (updated 2Jan2010) - esp. Part 9 on charging.
audiolife 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2010 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  

rfhvhtoo wrote:
awesome yeah The kinetik Marine Batteries seem to be cheaper than their Normal Car audio Battery yet they are suppose to be the same battery just different posts. I'm sure it'll work out thanks alot!

Reason the Kinetik Marine batteries are cheaper might have to do with the fact they may be older product as I do not see any Kinetiks on their site with the lead terminals any longer.

Also I would think having close to the same battery if not the same battery in front as in back would be a good idea because if they are not close all you will be doing is making the differences that much bigger of a difference with temprature and wire/location.

Ack!
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2010 at 1:27 AM / IP Logged  
audiolife wrote:
having close to the same battery if not the same battery in front as in back would be a good idea because if they are not close all you will be doing is making the differences that much bigger of a difference with temperature and wire/location
It makes no difference since they are not in parallel except when charging.
Hence can keep whatever standard battery up front, and whatever low ESR or deep cycle or hi reserve etc dedicated for the rear....
audiolife 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2010 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  

oldspark wrote:
audiolife wrote:
having close to the same battery if not the same battery in front as in back would be a good idea because if they are not close all you will be doing is making the differences that much bigger of a difference with temperature and wire/location
It makes no difference since they are not in parallel except when charging.
Hence can keep whatever standard battery up front, and whatever low ESR or deep cycle or hi reserve etc dedicated for the rear....

So you like relays?

Ack!
unique316 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2010 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  
In regards to kenetic battereis..... I dont know if any one knows but they are basicly out of business if they arent offically yet. But they were sued beacasue their batteries wouldnt provide the voltage they claimed.. the guy won haha imagine that but when comes to battereis always do your homework before you choose!
YES....OR....NO..?
Unique
Wichita, KS
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2010 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  
What "voltage" were they claiming...Do you have a link to this...I'll peruse the internet...
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
audiolife 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2010 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  

unique316 wrote:
In regards to kenetic battereis..... I dont know if any one knows but they are basicly out of business if they arent offically yet. But they were sued beacasue their batteries wouldnt provide the voltage they claimed.. the guy won haha imagine that but when comes to battereis always do your homework before you choose!

Then why were they booked solid at CES? Why are they shipping batteries?  What guy won what?

Ack!
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic