Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2010 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  
audiolife wrote:
So you like relays?
No - not really, but what is the relevance of your question?
Solidstate IMO is far preferable, but that depends on the user and the application.
There is no reason MOSFETs etc cannot be used instead of relays in the connectivity I recommend.
Interesting if they are out of business - not that I suspected anything through their lack of info in the web (lol)... what was that other similar site?
audiolife 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2010 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  
Funny thing though my kinetik has out lived all the optimas I have owned and my stinger sp1000 combined.
Ack!
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2010 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  
LOL! That's because it's a different manufacturer...
My AGMs are well over 10 years old.
Then again, my daily wets are about 8 years old.... (albeit with little Ah remaining!)   
You should check out mp3car/139579-what-battery.html.
audiolife 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2010 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  

oldspark wrote:
LOL! That's because it's a different manufacturer...
My AGMs are well over 10 years old.
Then again, my daily wets are about 8 years old.... (albeit with little Ah remaining!)   
You should check out mp3car/139579-what-battery.html.

Different manufacturer?

I had an optima go completely dead at IASCA world finals in 1997 as it was being judged. It was replaced one time then after less than a year it died again and the shop where  I bought it at looked at the car and said  "oh hell no". Even though they were the ones who suggested it to begin with.

My kinetik just went past its 5th year powering systems of 500 watts to 1700 on a stock alt as my only battery. In fact my old comp car was bought and switched into a 2 seater and 8 12's were placed where the backseats used to be. 6900 watts RMS of memphis ST class A/B amplifiers and 4 HCpower 2000's in 2000. Last time I seen the car it had the ST amps replaced with MC series amps with the same size with the same HC power batteries in late 2008. HC power = kinetik. In 2007 it sat in the tent at the county fair playing very loudly for several minutes at a time. The car only has 1 190 amp Ohio Gen alt. I also know several vehicles that won spl world titles with modded banks that were 4++ years old.

Ack!
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2010 at 6:03 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah - I hear of heaps of Optimas dying, but I can't rule out the owner - you know, the type that has a 45A alternator with external mechanical regulator; has the battery in the trunk; wants to be assured a LARGE alternator won't blow his next battery; gets a new alternator before checking the battery; later finds 2 collapsed cells thanks to a super-hot trunk.
I often argue against such expensive batteries especially when their setup negates the lower ESR etc. But if they insist on an engine-bay mounted AGM and a cap overcoming an undersized alternator - I've got little chance....
AGMs for antique cars & collectors & the super-audio; fine.
I would probably never buy an Optima nor Odyssey, though I have been tempted to test some claims (charging ok above 14.5V if under a certain temp etc) - but we have protection against misleading advertising etc.
I would be reluctant to buy Kinetic and similar based on the lack of "critical" information on their web page(s) - though I did like their "more powerful than 100F cap" etc LOL!.
I'd be more likely to buy from their OEM that probably charges less... (did I hear a Pulse?)
AFAIAC, an AGM should last at least 10 years in a car etc. But as Exide found out with their TorqueStarter many years ago, the ideal battery may not last and may be subject to recall (through no fault of the battery technology - ie, AGM). However charging systems are somewhat superior these days.
It sounds however that you have answered OP rfhvhtoo's question.
I generally just point out the alternatives depending on what is required and possible - eg, 1 or 2 batteries; cranking or audio deep-cycle; undersized alternators; 12V vs dc-dc amps, etc.
I can generally provide cheaper and superior solutions to stiffening capacitors and the so-called dual battery charge allocation systems or other split systems...
audiolife 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2010 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  

Undersized alternators? Even if you have the biggest alternator made you can very easily have a sytem that over powers it. Alts are not a smooth constant source and are dependant on RPM to the power they put out and their regulators design effects how fast an alternator reacts.

Ack!
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2010 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
audiolife - You are preaching to the converted....
I deal with people that keep reading how the solution to powering a 2kW audio with their 1kW alternator is a bigger battery or a (bigger) cap.
They don't see the joke - the ones insisting on low ESRs etc for the max voltage delivery (to a dc-dc converted amp mind you) happily allow their system to drop from (say) 13.8V or higher to 12.7V and lower.
But I'm not discussing that here - it is not part of the OP issue, nor is there any ideal solution (ie, SPL freaks want no caps; others just want extended reserve time without the bigger alternator and higher voltage).
If you have a particular issue you wish to discuss, do so.
Please don't take the specifics of what I say as a general statement nor apply it to other situations.
If you read my posts elsewhere you will see my various qualifications (as in "in this situation").
Apologies if you are not (nit-)picking on me (or others), but when an entire reply merely has "so you like relays?" - as if that has any relevance - and later replies seem merely to want to contradict my writings.... let's just say that I'm getting better at taking hints. (Better - still far from good.)
I'm not the one claiming this or that with specific batteries. I don't have those problems.   
But I am reporting what others have written etc.
And I also express doubts based on experience - eg, the false claims that the masses seem to miss, or when certain ads are similar to ads put out by previous failed companies or fly-by-nighters, or when such ads do NOT have the info that traditionally good & quality companies/products have.
I can stop doing that if you wish - just say so.
I can keep what others wrote about certain companies ceasing, or the crap about battery isolators with SOC current balancing etc.
After all, none of that has any practical impact on me.
So if you want to discuss some specific, how about why the relay quip - is there a problem with them? Do you too prefer FETs etc? Surely NOT diode isolation (OMG!)?
If it's about alternators and bigger batts and caps putting on an "extra load" hence implying "more damaging" or any other specific, please say so and I'll link to a suitable reply elsewhere, or answer. But let's not make this thread an "everything you ever wanted to know....".
PS - The bets are on here that yet again I will NOT get any practical response to a query in another post. Problem is there are few here that take the opposite wager - that the poster concerned will provide the evidence they so happily mentioned; they will not use "commercial in confidence" bullsh; that they do have the "valid" results for their own product; and that the poster is way too senior to try the usual deflections and putdowns. Why do I have such a hard time finding co-betters, and the why the hard time extracting my wins? (Yes you AusDive Texans - I haven't forgotten!)
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2010 at 3:27 AM / IP Logged  
To close the "pending data issue, as updated at need battery, kinetik or odyssey, the only Optima data I'm likely to get (if any!) will be for paralleled Optimas.
I couldn't get any data from Optima to dispel claims of unreliability.
The web seems the best source for testimonials, but some can be bad - ie, batteries that have been wrecked by fools rather than being a bad battery.
I have generally only dealt with people that have had Optima troubles. However these people are like old typewriters - you have to keep punching in the info.
But whilst my web readings generally seemed to find bad Optima stories, one of my last was the opposite - Optima came out in front.
And maybe the environments vary. I've looked a lot at 4WD, camping & outdoor, solar, etc for fridges, lighting, sound, entertainment. But not much for car audio and SPL competitions.
Kinetik certainly seems to have done well - so much for my "web site" assessment (it doesn't always work; just most of the time).
Alas AFAIK we don't have Kinetik here, nor the cheaper Odysseys, but we have the "grey" bateries (were they Odyssey?) & we have Pulse but they're Gel.
Anyhow, good luck with battery selections. Like computers, it ain't easy.
I'll be using my old Yuasa AGM for a while - give one of the 8 year old wets a bit of a rest.
sharilewis 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2010 at 5:45 AM / IP Logged  
awesome yeah The kinetik Marine Batteries seem to be cheaper than their Normal Car audio Battery yet they are suppose to be the same battery just different posts. I'm sure it'll work out thanks alot!
Mobility Battery
audiolife 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2010 at 6:02 AM / IP Logged  

sharilewis wrote:
awesome yeah The kinetik Marine Batteries seem to be cheaper than their Normal Car audio Battery yet they are suppose to be the same battery just different posts. I'm sure it'll work out thanks alot!
Mobility Battery

They may be cheaper due to the fact they are older stock. I have not seen kinetik marine batteries for a couple years myself.

Ack!
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic