icon

Viper 5901, 95 Pontiac Trans Am

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ssbowtie1 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2010 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
Well I called a couple alarm install shops today and they all told me that when installing the remote start its ok to splice all those heavy gauge wires into the red ignition harness so all my +12v will come from the 12 gauge power wire in the ignition harness.
tommy I was under the impression that the shock sensor was built into the 5901. I found a place on the ventilation ducting that I will be mounting the main unit to. Its in the center of the car, so the heavy gague wires will run right to the ignition wires and any other wires won't be too far off. If I have any problems with the internal shock sensor due to the velcro or the mounting location, I'm sure I can disconnect the onboard shock sensor and just hook up another one somewhere else at a later time.
x1le thanks for the info regarding the clutch switch. I put a DIMM on the wires and found that one wire goes to ground when the switch is depressed, so I'm assuming that I will need to use an output from the alarm to ground this wire so the car will start.
Is the proper wire to ground the clutch switch the blue pin 5 wire from the remote start aux harness ((-) 200mA STATUS OUTPUT)? If so, do I need to use this wire to drive a relay or can I connect it directly to the clutch switch wire?
x1le 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2010 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  
ssbowtie1 wrote:
Is the proper wire to ground the clutch switch the blue pin 5 wire from the remote start aux harness ((-) 200mA STATUS OUTPUT)? If so, do I need to use this wire to drive a relay or can I connect it directly to the clutch switch wire?
status output will have the clutch bypassed until the starter is turned off completely. If you connected the 200ma starter output (violet I believe) it will only bypass the clutch when physically starting the car. And the best way is to wire up a relay for it, but I've seen some get away with hooking directly to the wire.
joebubba 
Copper - Posts: 107
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2010 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
x1le wrote:
status output will have the clutch bypassed until the starter is turned off completely. If you connected the 200ma starter output (violet I believe) it will only bypass the clutch when physically starting the car. And the best way is to wire up a relay for it, but I've seen some get away with hooking directly to the wire.
Yes, use pin 3 (violet wire, 200mA negative starter output) of the 5-pin remote start aux output harness to the wire going from the clutch interlock switch to the starter cutout relay coil. I wired it directly with no relay. Be sure you connect it to the correct switch on the clutch. Most clutches have two switches: one for starter cutout (this is the one you want) and one for cruise control cutout(don't want this one).
ssbowtie1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2010 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the heads up joebubba  you were right about that. I was using the wrong switch. When I tried looking at the clutch safety switch it seems like its just two wires that complete a circuit when the clutch is pressed in. Taking either wire to ground didn't do anything.

Can I get any tips on  how I should use the violet wire remote start output wire to connect these two wires together when cranking?

tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2010 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  
You would just need to take it the dead side of the switch...So during cranking it see's ground...It doesnt need both sides as one side has ground all the time...And when switch is pressed...passes ground through...So you would need to attach it to the side that is only active during the press...
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
ssbowtie1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2010 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
Oh ok I get it. So to find the proper wire I'll take each wire to ground individually and see which one starts the car. Thanks!
joebubba 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2010 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  
No, just grounding the wire won't start the car. Grounding the wire energizes the coil on the starter cutout relay which then closes the starter circuit allowing the car to be started once the key is turned.
You want to connect the violet wire to the wire coming from the switch that doesn't show a ground (clutch is not depressed).
So just test both wires at the switch for ground and connect the violet wire to the one without a ground.
ssbowtie1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2010 at 12:36 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks joe what I meant to say was I was going to ground each wire and try to start the car without pressing the clutch to know which wire I need to ground.
ssbowtie1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2010 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  

Ok here's what I've found.

I was wondering why the wires running to the clutch safety switch were so thick and now I know. It turns out that the switch allows +12V to pass through the switch. In fact one of the wires is yellow, which is the same color as the starter wires. It is also 10-12 gauge, the same as the stater wires. I wasn't able to trace the wires, but I think the yellow wire running to the clutch switch is the starter wire.

So I guess I would need to switch to a +12V and apply that to the brown wire, which gets +12V when the clutch switch is pressed. I'm assuming I would use the same violet wire but switch it using a relay. Should I wire the relay using a 10-12gauge wire though when I splice it into the switch wire? Also should I use a diode to protect the relay when cranking without the remote start?

joebubba 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2010 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  
Hmmm. I'm not familiar with the details of your car. I'd have to have a better knowledge of the exact nature of the clutch cutout switch circuitry and wiring to be sure, but it sounds like the clutch switch provides a direct, high current cutout to the starter circuit. If that's the case, then you could use the same wire from the RS (violet) to the coil of a relay to provide a positive feed to the brown wire. You'll need to use a high current relay (30A) which should already have the appropriate gauge wire (you can buy a 30-40A relay at BB for $10, just go to the back and talk to the install guys).
Instead of the above, I believe you could also use either the pink/white wire or the orange wire from the H3 harness connected directly to the brown wire coming from the switch. (Again, assumes the clutch cutout circuit is a high current positive circuit).
Page of 11

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic