icon

fused 12 volt connections?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2010 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
That's what I call load fusing at the source - typically used in voltage critical situations, therefore minimal fuse or breaker voltage drop is desired (and zero-resistance sensors/breakers are too expensive etc).
Hence the load fuse is places at the source despite a heavier cable that may reduce several times before the load.
That allows for the convenient fuse location though not specifically stated. (I take it as obvious NOT to place protection in inaccessible areas - that includes going thru battery rooms for UPS etc to get to the UPS & battery breakers LOL!)
If it doesn't already exist somewhere, this sounds like a good Master-Reference topic so that we needn't rehash and requalify...
Written by some gifted presenter after we thrash out the guts & examples....
hawks 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2010 at 12:40 AM / IP Logged  

Many diffrent opinions and some great answers.  Now let me tell you one of the reasons I asked this question.  I am laying out my alarm install and I have installed a domelight supervision relay and a tilt sensor on a flat spot behind the dash bezel.  Lots of room, easy to get to and close to the wiring I need to tie into.  I noticed that the power wire supplying the light switch is 10AWG so I was thinking that it probably carries more than enough power to handle a tilt sensor with a 1 amp inline fuse and the domelight supervision relay without any problem.  I also don't think that it would cause any problems with the lights since the domelight supervision only operates when arming/disarming and shuts off on ignition and the tilt sensor probably draws so little it dosen't matter.  Good or bad idea?

oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2010 at 2:09 AM / IP Logged  
Out of curiosity, when you say "domelight supervision", do you mean switch monitor (which I like) as opposed to voltage drop sensing (which I hate)?
I won't repeat my answer(s) - especially since there is insufficient topology info....
hawks 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2010 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  
I mean power the relay that triggers/switches on the domelight supervision feature on the alarm.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 13, 2010 at 10:14 AM / IP Logged  
I, personally, would run a 12vdc wire from the alarm to the relay and tilt sensor.  You are already running wires from the brain to the sensor / relay so adding one more shouldn't be an issue.  I would probably add a 3A inline fuse to the line just in case something happens to the wiring between the alarm and the sensor / relay.  If I added a fuse I would tap the power wire BEFORE the fuse, if I didn't add a fuse I would tap it after the alarms fuse.
Kevin Pierson
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic