icon

remote start without cutting wire?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nitro71 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2010 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  
Getting ready to install a Avital alarm, remote start and am seeing that you are supposed to cut the ignition to starter wire and hook that to the relay. When you do this can you still use the vehicle ignition to start the vehicle? I'm assuming that you can. What if you don't want to cut the wire. Is there a down side to just using the relay output and not using the ignition input? I can't really see that it matters?
nitro71 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2010 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  

Decided I will install per directions since I don't really know what the device is doing.

Does the green wire connect to the line side of the starter wire you cut?

Where does the pink ignition wire connect to then? The directions say "Connect this wire to the ignition wire". Mildly vague I would say.. : )

nitro71 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2010 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  
I think I figured it out. There is a ignition start wire that doesn't goto the starter such as one for the computer or something that you connect the pink to. The green and the purple are the wires that you cut the wire that goes to the solenoid and splice them inline into.
Mark Mizenko 
Copper - Posts: 460
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2010 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  

You dont have to connect the green wire, you can connect the purple wire to the cars "starter: wire.

If you want to do starter kill for the alarm,.... cut the starter wire, connect the green wire to the "Key" (ignition switch) side of the cut wire and then the purple goes to the other cut (starter) side.

And yes, the Pink ignition wire goes to the igniton wire, and the Orange wire goes to the accessory wire.  Pink /White is your second Igniton output should you need one.  Pink/Black you probably wont use, and all the red wires have to go to constant power.  Simple.

nitro71 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2010 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Mark, that makes my install a little cleaner. I'm not so worried about the vehicle being stolen. More vehicle break in and theft. The thought crossed my mind if the relay ever fails it would be nice to be able to still start the vehicle.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 30, 2010 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  
If you use a Tyco (formerly Bosch) or a Potter & Brumfield relay, and install it properly, I will bet you will never have a problem with it. 
jcs091570 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2010 at 1:36 AM / IP Logged  
It should be a fail safe starter kill..meaning if the relay or the alarm system goes bad..you will still be able to start your vehicle. Just ensure good connetions
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 01, 2010 at 4:29 AM / IP Logged  
A failsafe starter kill will allow the car to start if the alarm fails.  If the common and the normally closed contact fails, the car will not start.  Failures in this manner are not common under these circumstances, but it could happen.
illuzion 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2010 at 12:39 AM / IP Logged  

The main reason for this is in addition to the starter kill, DEI stuff also provides anti grind during remote start.  When system is sitting idle (not in remote start) the two wires are shorted together, almost like relay isnt there, but when you remote start the vehicle, it disconnects the keyswitch starter wire from the starter solenoid, so if out of habit when you put key in to start vehicle and turn it all the way to start, it will not grind/damage the starter.

fredddy9 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2010 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  
H3/1 PINK (+) IGNITION 1 INPUT/OUTPUT (BR/PK) hot in START-RUN
H3/2 RED / WHITE (+) FUSED (30A) IGNITION 2 / FLEX RELAY INPUT 87 (BR +12 constant)
H3/3 ORANGE (+) ACCESSORY OUTPUT (BK/LG)
H3/4 VIOLET (+) STARTER OUTPUT (CAR SIDE OF THE STARTER KILL) (DB/O) hot in START
H3/5 GREEN (+) STARTER INPUT (KEY SIDE OF THE STARTER KILL WIRE) (DB/O) i cut this wire to have an antigrinding feature
H3/6 RED (+) FUSED (30A) IGNITION 1 INPUT (BR +12 constant)
H3/7 PINK/WHITE (+) IGNITION 2 / FLEX RELAY OUTPUT (PK/BK)
H3/8 PINK/BLACK (+) FLEX RELAY INPUT 87A key side (if required) of FLEX RELAY
H3/9 RED / BLACK (+) FUSED (30A) ACCESSORY/STARTER INPUT (BR +12 constant)
H3/10 NC (no connection) NC
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic