remote starter for 08 volvo xc70 risky?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
p4runner 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2011 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  
tedmond wrote:

i dont think there is ANY immobilizer bypass available for this vehicle on the market.

From what I've read, some people have had success with remote starters in these cars, so there must be something that works?

kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2011 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  
Just a "key wrap" with a working key.  The iDatalink install guide shows this.  This is the transponder bypass during remote start and is controlled by the iDatalink module.  You could use a universal "key in the box" style, too.  Like the DEI 556UW.
Soldering is fun!
p4runner 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2011 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  

Right, thought that was the case.  Is there any bypass that will work that doesn't require a dedicated key?

kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2011 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
None that I am aware of.  iDatalink, Fortin and DEI do not list any NKR solutions.
Soldering is fun!
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2011 at 5:35 AM / IP Logged  
And Ted's last comment also applies to all the latest Land Rover models with push button start plus the Euro Focus ST/RS because it's all the same system.
L/Rover Freelander
Volvo V50
Mazda 3
All Ford Focus.
The R/Rover Sport is a Re-branded Discovery.
If there's one available for the late Land Rovers it just
might work with the latest Volvos.
p4runner 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2011 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the replies. Thought there might be something like the Directed 1100x I used on our 4Runner a few weeks ago. These new units from companies like iDatalink seem pretty advanced, I don't know much about this, but it seems surprising they need a dedicated key given everything else they're capable of.
Is it the push button start feature that makes it difficult? Or the fob insertion mechanism in the dash?
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2011 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  
From the questions you asked in the last post could I respectfully suggest you don't try this at home?
Doing this is a quantum leap in difficulty from a no brainer like a Toyota.
p4runner 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2011 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  

Don't try it because I asked what makes it so difficult for a manufacturer to produce a bypass unit for these types of applications that doesn't require a dedicated key?

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2011 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  
OK when the key is inserted an RF chip signals a processor to handshake with it via an encrypted RF network, this once it agrees sends DATA to a control unit.
The add on has to decrypt all of this as well as picking up info from the BCM HiLo CAN wires which instruct the vehicle to do certain things and self diagnose them such as start the engine,lock/unlock, lights, door triggers etc. This is why we have expensive add on units for the alarm and remote sections.
That's putting it simply into I hope lay language; the point is you just can't solder into these as they aren't 12volts, you will cause extremely expensive damage if you do. Basicly the vehicle will throw a DTC and possibly shut down.
It was your earlier comments about soldering that worried me.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2011 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  
Over her, its nearly 1:00a.m. I just looked at Fortin, Expresskit and Idatalink, the second two offer by-passes and convenience modules for your vehicle, my comments earlier apply to your first post, if you're unsure don't do it!
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic