the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

rain sensor to control windows

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2011 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  

Did a 2008 TL a little while ago ( 2004-2008 should be the same).  Used an ADS AL CA with the ADS AL(DL) HA firmware.  Absolutely no issues.    Here are some pictures for the remote start and iDatalink connections. 

rain sensor to control windows - Page 2 -- posted image.

Due to space limitations at the steering column, I found it easier to grab +12v Constant and Ignition at the fuse box.

Here is the Immobilizer connector.  iDatalink recommends connecting exactly as shown in the install guide.

You can see the +12v Constant and the Ignition wires at the top of this picture.

As noted in the iDatalink guide, the door locks will work while the engine is running but the trunk release will only work with the engine off.

Soldering is fun!
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 03, 2011 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  
roger555 wrote:
Before I can start thinking about this logically I need to figure a few things out and a few of you seem to have experience with the TL specifically.
-What exactly is the required input to trigger full closure or fully roll the windows down?   I have heard it take a double pulse input and I have also heard a pulsed input for 7-9 seconds. Which is it?
-Am I going to need to purchase a bitwriter to get the functionality I need for any of these outputs?   (I am also using the iDatalink Bypass module if it matter)
-Is there any way I can make it so I vent the windows manually before I leave my car then arm the system without triggering them to roll up, but still have the ability to roll them up when I want to with the remote or the rain sensor with a proper trigger? I would be happy with this functionality if someone could walk me through it.
Again thanks for the help!
The window control is accomplished by simulating the key in the drivers door key cylinder. This requires both a double pulse AND extended trigger. A 10 second pulse is more then adequate - you may be able to get away with less, but 10 seconds is a good number.
The problem with the 530T is the lack of flexibility it offers. You CAN make it so that you can leave the windows vented, but you will need to then be able to "command" the windows to raise (they won't auto raise each time you lock the doors). The command will need to last at least 10 seconds to make sure the windows go all the way up.
There are other window modules on the market that would with the TL that may be a better fit (and do the sunroof as well). You'll have to spend some time on Google and see if you can find something that will be a little friendlier to install (and perhaps not require wires to the doors).
Kevin Pierson
roger555 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2011 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged  
kreg357 wrote:

Did a 2008 TL a little while ago ( 2004-2008 should be the same).  Used an ADS AL CA with the ADS AL(DL) HA firmware.  Absolutely no issues.    Here are some pictures for the remote start and iDatalink connections. 

[

Thank you for the pictures!! Do you happen to know how the memory seat/mirror (Driver 1/2) setting will work with the 5902?      Also did you setup the alarm to control window closure?
KPierson wrote:
The window control is accomplished by simulating the key in the drivers door key cylinder. This requires both a double pulse AND extended trigger. A 10 second pulse is more then adequate - you may be able to get away with less, but 10 seconds is a good number.
The problem with the 530T is the lack of flexibility it offers. You CAN make it so that you can leave the windows vented, but you will need to then be able to "command" the windows to raise (they won't auto raise each time you lock the doors). The command will need to last at least 10 seconds to make sure the windows go all the way up.
There are other window modules on the market that would with the TL that may be a better fit (and do the sunroof as well). You'll have to spend some time on Google and see if you can find something that will be a little friendlier to install (and perhaps not require wires to the doors).
I've used the 530T units before on my acura legend. I was able to have all the windows roll up when I armed but then I could vent at 3 different intervals without unlocking my car. Seems like I could easily control it with a rain sensor also to raise the windows. However I would need another unit for the sunroof and wiring through the door is not desirable.
But what i'm saying is without the use of the 530 T Is there any way I can make it so I vent the windows before I park and leave my car. I then arm the system and they stay open, but still have the ability to roll them up when I want to with the remote by activating one of the aux channels?
Any thoughts on the bitwitter? Will I be able to set the alarm outputs properly through the manual programming methods?
roger555 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2011 at 8:31 AM / IP Logged  
Hey kreg357 did you direct wire the Idatalink to the alarm or does the datalink cord work well on the TL?
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2011 at 9:26 AM / IP Logged  

Used a Ultra Start U1272 and went the W2W route ( I always go W2W) .  Just a basic remote start with keyless entry.  The iDatalink module controls the cars' factory alarm and supplies a good Tach signal.  If you want the trunk release to work when the engine is running, go directly to the release switch in lower drivers dash panel, YELLOW /GREEN(+) wire at switch.  Didn't do total closure or memory seats.  Memory seats shouldn't be a problem with the Viper, but you will have to go into the drivers door.

Memory Seat 1      Blue / YELLOW (-)         Driver Door Module in door

Memory Seat 2      RED / Yellow (-)         Driver Door Module in door

Soldering is fun!
roger555 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2011 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
So everyone back to the rain sensor.    I don't want to use the 530T units and plan on wiring up with up/down using separate AUX output from the alarm like my diagram above.   
So is there a way I can active one of the AUX channels of the alarm from inside the car starting with a positive or neg trigger from the rain sensor?? (5902 alarm)
Also still no input on the bitwriter anyone?
roger555 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2011 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  
NOOO dont abandon me!! No thoughts?
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 08, 2011 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  
There are no external ways to trigger an aux output. And, even if there was, there is no option for a double extended pulse.
In my opinion, your best bet is going to be to get a hold of a rain sensor, understand how it works, and then develop your own control system to integrate with the OEM arm/disarm wires. The most complicated portion of what you are trying to do is to detect when there are drops on the window so that is why I recommend starting there.
Kevin Pierson
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2011 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
No one's abandoning you, we're all telling you to forget it!
Follow Kevin's advice, if he hasn't invented a module to do this, neither will you.
roger555 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2011 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  
Thank Kevin I already have the sensor wired up and I have some ideas for a circuit for the double pulse hold circuit shouldn't be too hard.
and Howie you're an ass or is it walker ?   When did Kevin ever give me advise about giving up? and who said Kevin wanted to make a rain sensor anyways?    I'll be sure to post a video of it when I get to my install.
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic