icon

rain sensor to control windows

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 11, 2011 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  
I actually did look in to doing exactly what you are trying to do a few years back. I found a decent source for a rain sensor but it was big, ugly, and expensive so I abandoned the project. I've already got the window control portion under control!
Kevin Pierson
roger555 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2011 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
Well this raintracker unit is very very nice! The sensor is small 1.25x1.25x.5 approx that mounts on the windshield and the sensitivity is adjustable.
It ties into your wiper system to automatically control your wipers as its main purpose
buttt It also has a headlight output to automatically activate your headlights when it starts raining & when it gets dark.
The headlight controller outputs a 12V signal that you can do whatever you want with basically!   If I used this output I could have my windows close when it rains and when it gets dark which is fine with me.   
I just need to figure out how to take that 12v output from the raintracker and convert it to a pulse pulse hold and trigger a timed relay to cut power to the unit so it doesn't continue to close my windows.
thecoolmankyle7 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2011 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  
Pac Audio from aamp of america has a TR7 which can convert single pulses to almost anything, so you could get your pulse pulse hold. Also you could probably do some type Latching Relay set up to turn the power off to the rain sensor unit untill you disarm the alarm.
roger555 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2011 at 7:48 AM / IP Logged  
thecoolmankyle7 wrote:
Pac Audio from aamp of america has a TR7 which can convert single pulses to almost anything, so you could get your pulse pulse hold. Also you could probably do some type Latching Relay set up to turn the power off to the rain sensor unit untill you disarm the alarm. <!-- Product Status begin-->
Thank you for this! Looks like this will work perfectly and its pretty inexpensive!
roger555 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2011 at 8:03 AM / IP Logged  
Well I take that back, It almost solves my problem.   It appears the unit can convert a constant input to a (pulsed -pulse) but I don't see an option to latch afterward. However with option 13 If I can some how supply the unit with a pulsed input it provide a latched output after two pulses.
roger555 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2011 at 8:18 AM / IP Logged  
I have also been thinking I am planning on installing the 508D proxy detection unit and I want to wire it so the warn away triggers my windows up.   However without a 530T unit I still run into the issue of trigging the factory window control with a pulse/pulse hold.    
This feature is called comfort closure I should be able to activate it through the 5902 or the idatalink module I would think , instead of trying to recreate the signal myself.
thecoolmankyle7 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2011 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  
I have my warn away rolling up the windows but I used Twindow window mods. I think they work FAR better than there directed counterpart. And the use a single ground pulse or latched to roll up or down. Here's ther number give them a call. 310-318-6680
roger555 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2011 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  
I wonder If I could get the 529T to just activate my OEM system with a pulse-pulse/hold
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2011 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  
I know we've had our differences on this topic but please hear me out.
I have a gut feeling that this job would be a lot easier with the 12Volt output from your rain sensor feeding a 528t timer module or the Pac if you have one to control one 530t per window pair and a 529t for the roof.
More money but simpler and more reliable.
Twindow might be a good product but it's unknown to me so I can't vouch for it one way or the other, I do know that if correctly installed, i.e. wired directly to each window motor wire, it will give you one-touch up and down for all your switches.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2011 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry, you could also feed (diode separate) either the warn-away or the main trigger from the 508d to control the closers although I think you might need a mini relay to boost the output unless it's at least 100 milliamps.
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic