icon

2006 toyota matrix dash removal

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rjkboyle 
Copper - Posts: 97
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2011 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  
Hey all so I am planning to put a CM3000 into a 06 Matrix in the next few days, I was looking at the car trying to plan out some stuff before time. To access under the dash + ignition wires etc. is a nightmare. I just want to know if any of you have any tips or advice before approaching this.
It seems as though the whole top of the dash needs to be removed, along with the steering wheel + instrument cluster and much more. I will link to the PDF where I found instructions. Is this really what any of the shops would do to install a remote starter/alarm? Seems like a crazy amount of work.
Also after everything is removed, how is one suppose to test wires such as ignition, accessory, starter etc. Isnt this a bad idea to start the car / have the battery hooked up with no cluster or steering wheel?
Thanks for any advice and help
PDF For Dash Removal
goo.gl/KOmmF
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 21, 2011 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  

Go to your local stereo shop and purchse the installation kit along with the wiring harness.  The kit will have instructions to remove the dash.  The wiring harness will be color coded to match up with the wires of your aftermarket radio.

rjkboyle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2011 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  
"Is this really what any of the shops would do to install a remote starter/alarm"
rjkboyle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2011 at 3:16 PM / IP Logged  
I think removing the lower portion of the steering wheel I will be able to get at most things i need, its just a tighter fit.
According to the 12volt wiring diagram for the Matrix, it says the White 12v constant wire is fused at 25A. Does anyone know where I can find a non fused wire ?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2011 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  
Actually popping the instrument cluster usually 4-6 screws is the easiest way to go!
Normally on most Japanese vehicles there's enough room to install the unit behind it and run your wiring down from there so it's all properly stealthed.
I wouldn't dream of saying this about a German car but on a Japanese vehicle of this age disconnecting the dash whilst testing shouldn't be a problem, I always do it this way on Japanese cars.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2011 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  
Ref lower portion of steering wheel I'm assuming you mean the cowling, again quite normal, probably the best way to get at the looms, ignition etc. Of course if you're worried use the continuity part of your DMM.
Mr. I we're talking about an alarm/RS not a head unit 2006 toyota matrix dash removal -- posted image.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Posted: August 21, 2011 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  

I did not catch the part about the remote start.  I thought he was trying to change the radio.  Pay attention to Howie.  I am an Idiot.

rjkboyle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2011 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks howie for all the help! I will defs look into putting it behind the cluster. Any idea where to get 12v constant?
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2011 at 2:59 AM / IP Logged  
Main battery lead to internal fusebox, probably white or white primary, or ignition switch loom.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Posted: August 22, 2011 at 7:57 AM / IP Logged  
Those cars aren't too hard. It does seem at first that you're going to have a lot of trouble with the dash, but it doesn't really get in the way much at all.
Well, unless you're trying to do a super-stealth install and hid everything....then it would get trickier, I would think.
Anyway.....
Take off the lower half of the steering column shroud, the driver's kick panel, and the driver's door sill. Optional---pop out the change pocket on the left of the driver's dash. It's easy and lets a little more light get into the underdash area.
Prep your brain so that all of your ignition wires are together, and so that they're long enough to reach from where you intend to put the brain, to the wires that plug into the ignition switch. I usually zip-tie the brain high up above the driver's kick panel.
Then you can just pretty much let the brain sit right on the floor of the car, run your (already prepped and bundled together) ignition wires up there, connect them......after you're done, zip-tie them along the steering column wiring harness.
Other stuff I can randomly think of:
---TEST the ignition wires (of course!), then make notes so you know which is which, and then if you unplug the igniton harness you can stretch it out straight, cut into the factory tape a little bit, and then you'll have enough room there to make your connections.
---The trim around the instrument cluster pops off, then one screw at the top of the cluster, then two "hooks" that hold the bottom of the cluster in. Sounds hard but you'll see it's easy when you go to do it. Lower your tilt steering all the way down, lay the cluster down sideways so you can see where the wires go in.......tach is a black wire....I want to say it's the black that's right next to a RED / white....it's been a while.
---The trunk-release switch, you can reach in from behind where you removed the change pocket, and push the switch out.
---When you go to find the doorlock wires in the kick panel, just take a close look at everything in that area before you start, and you can clearly see that a bundle of wires comes in from the driver's door and goes to two plugs. The lock wires are in one of the plugs.......green and blue / YELLOW? Something like that. They test while turning the key back and forth in the exterior key cylinder of the driver's door.
---Along the doorsill there's a harness running to the rear of the car. Green positive parking lights, GREEN / WHITE brake, and RED / yellow door trigger. There are two GREEN / WHITEs; test carefully. The RED / yellow catches all five doors, including the rear hatch.
---If you have to run wires under the hood, there's a big factory grommet above the gas pedal. If you look at the other side under the hood, you'll see what looks like a "nipple" off to the side. Cut the tip of the nipple off, and you can pass a coat hanger or old car antenna through there to fish wires through. Under the driver's dash, the steering linkage is totally exposed.......wiggle the steering wheel and make yourself aware of the linkage, so you'll be able to run your wires across without danger of them getting caught up.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic