icon

2006 toyota matrix dash removal

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2011 at 8:07 AM / IP Logged  
Great reply as usual Chris, I wonder if the moderators could transfer this to the hot topics section under "rookies and all those seeking advice" topic. The points you made are very relevant especially ref the steering column and fouling of cables, standard rule: cable (zip)tie to secure AWAY from moving parts.
rjkboyle 
Copper - Posts: 97
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2011 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks howie and chris both for all the tips.
Yesterday while looking at the car I had the kick panel off and found all the wires you referenced.
Your post Chris would definitely be helpful for any rookies looking to improve, I know it sure gave me some things to think about. This will be my 7th car I am doing a remote starter/alarm in and I find with everyone you never really know what to expect. Even though the process is the same, it always seems a bit different how to get at the wires or where to mount the brain.
Thanks both for your time.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2011 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  
The point is; subject to you removing the panel both the positions Chris and I mentioned will work! My installation point is that here in Europe, it's primarily the alarm then the RS. Alarms have to conform to codes of manufacture and wiring and are rigidly tested in the UK. If you can be bothered, Google "Thatcham Car Alarm Test Procedures". Therefore the stealth mount, all joints soldered etc. etc.
I even have fabric looming tape to equal what the Germans use ex factory.
As a point of interest in Nissan, behind the instrument panel is the alarm, separate RS plus a Parrot kit! Dropping the instrument panel will easily access lights, door triggers if you have the icons on the dash for door ajar etc.
rjkboyle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2011 at 2:10 AM / IP Logged  
Definitely an interested read Howie.
I took out the instrument panel tonight just to poke my head in and have a look around.
Will all the wire colors be the same for things such as Tach? Triggers? etc?
I have been looking for the main battery lead that goes to the internal fuse box, I circled a wire in a picture that I think might be it. I wasn't feeling brave enough to test it in case it was something different. Any ideas if that is it? The picture is posted at the link below.
https://i.imgur.com/abW1Q.jpg
That is looking in where the instrument panel should be, you can see the big connector in the top right of the photo.
Ryan
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2011 at 4:21 AM / IP Logged  
Yes.
rjkboyle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2011 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
ok so got everything in and everything except one thing works. I can unlock and lock the doors using the compustar remote. But not when the car is remote started or started with the key. I used the wires it says in the kick panel.
Any idea why?
Thanks
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2011 at 1:35 AM / IP Logged  
Was there anything in the instructions about a keysense wire?
rjkboyle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2011 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  
Only for the bypass but I haven't got it yet so its not in right now, waiting on UPS. I did find the key sense wire. When remote starting I had the key in the ignition. But then if I remove the key and the car keeps running it still won't lock or unlock.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2011 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  
Connect it to your status aka GWR wire, I believe black on that unit, when you go to share it with the by-pass, remember to diode separate the wires, i.e. black wire 2 inline 1N4004 in a Y shape, one to the keysense, the other to the by-pass, UNLESS the by-pass takes care of the problem.
Try leaving the key in, also if you haven't yet installed the by-pass why even bring this up? Wait.
rjkboyle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2011 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah I plan on just waiting. That is leaving the key in, so just worries me that's not the problem.I will put the bypass in Monday or Tuesday and report back. Does it make sense even if I am leaving the key in for it to not work?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic