icon

2009 vibe remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rnorman3 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2011 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  
Excellent, Thanks again all. I think I have it now for connecting the PKALL. Another question about the starter however.
I have 4 harnesses listed above that come out of the ProStart unit. Of those 4 harnesses I'm thinking I don't have to connect every single wire. I'm thinking I can get away with making only the following connections (since I just want to start the car only):
3 Pin Harness
       - 1. No connect
       - 2. Horn ouput        (No connect?)
       - 3. Yellow (parking lights output- )
5 Pin Harness
       - 1. Black (ground-)
       - 2. Purple (TACH/AC)
       - 3. Grey Hood Pin      Don't connect (use the 'programming assistance' button on unit to program?)
       - 4. Orange (brake switch+).
       - 5. Yellow (Parking Lights+)
6 Pin Harness
       - 1. Yellow (IGN)
       - 2. Red (+12V battery)
       - 3. Orange (accessories)
       - 4. Purple (starter)
       - 5. Green (5th relay) No connection required?
       - 6. Red (+12V battery)
12 Pin Harness
       - 10 only. GROUND when running - output (connect to PKALL)
Does this look correct?
Thanks,
buddholly 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2011 at 4:33 PM / IP Logged  
Horn Output - Connect to the horn wire in the vehicle if you want to honk during lock/unlock or to use panic/car finder feature. Not required.
Use either postive or negative parking lights not both, I normally use negative.
Grey Hood Pin should go to the hood shutdown switch. They are included with most remote start systems. You must hook this up for safety reasons.
Green 5th Relay should go the 2nd ignition wire in the vehicle.
rnorman3 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2011 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
OK Thanks, almost got it!!! Hopefully just two more questions:
The car has 2 Ignition wires (first IGN+(green) and second IGN+(brown)), but the ProStart only has 1....should I just use the first IGN+ wire from the car?
Then, from the 6 pin harness on the ProStart there are two fused +12V Red wires. Do these need to be run separately all the way to the battery (perhaps to carry enough current)? Or would you tie these together and go to the "Vehicle Battery Positive Wire (+)(Blue or Red) in the ignition Switch Harness"?
Thanks again,
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2011 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
the second ign wire that to green (5th relay output)
run tach and the hood switch. the programming button on the unit is used as a bypass for the hood pin.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
rnorman3 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2011 at 8:11 AM / IP Logged  
OK, Thanks again for that. One more thing before I dig into this Vibe's steering column.
There's two separate 30A fused red wires coming from the ProStart remote starter's 6 pin harness.
Should both reds be extended and tied directly to the battery + terminal?
Or can you just join these reds together and run one extension to the battery.
Or can you join them and connect to the "Vehicle Battery Positive Wire (+)(Blue or Red) in the ignition Switch Harness"?
Thanks,
buddholly 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2011 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
Just tie them in together and run them to the 12v power source in the ignition harness, or the thick white 12v wire in the fuse box.
rnorman3 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2011 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like a plan. And just one more thing before I start in...there's two starter wires in the car (from the wiring info I have):
Automobile Engine Starter Wire (+): White
Automobile Engine Starter Wire Location: Ignition Switch Harness
Automobile Second Engine Starter Wire (-): Black
Automobile Second Engine Starter Wire Location: Ignition Switch Harness
Looks like a white and a black.
The 6-pin harness from the ProStart remote starter says the purple wire should go to the 'starter' wire of the car. Do I tie this purple from the ProStart to the white starter wire in the ignition switch harness?
Thanks,
Richard
P.S. once I get going i'll be taking some pictures and will attach them to this thread for anyone else wanting to do this same job in the future.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2011 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  
Toyota designed the vehicle to have separate, isolated Starter wires.  You should wire in the remote starter to maintain this separation. 
Unfortunately, to achieve this will require extra 30/40A SPDT relays and 20A fuses.  Here is a link to an install guide that has a nice
diagram on Page 12 of the proper way to get two Starter wires from one R/S Starter Output.  ( This is considering that you have only one
GWR output, which is used by the PKALL, and no (-) Starter output.  And yes, there are other ways to do this.) 
  http://www.readyremote.com/pdf/manuals/24921.pdf

Soldering is fun!
rnorman3 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2011 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  
Holy c**p! OK, well when I dig into this thing I'll be testing these wires to see how they respond before putting this relay in place. I have a DPDT relay that would work for sure. Will let you know how it goes!
rnorman3 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2011 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
Hi again guys, I have the remote started connected in the basement to a bread-board just to make sure it's working the way I expect. It all seems to work great. I have the remote programmed etc...
One question, there's a "(3)Yellow/White (-)parking lights output" coming out of a 3 pin harness (next to the horn output). What do I do with this wire?
Thanks,
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic