icon

03 honda crv wont remote start in cold

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fgarvey 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2012 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  
I installed a avital 5103 with a pkh34 bypass module in an 03 honda crv it remote starts fine when it is sitting in my garage but when it sits outside and it is below 32 degrees farenheight it will not start with the remote start i hope someone on here can help me out with this problem.
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2012 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
What did you use for engine sensing? Does it crank and not start or not even crank? If you didn't connect the tach, connect it and learn it to the module.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
fgarvey 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2012 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
I have tried using every option the alarm has for engine sensing. when it is cold outside and the car has been sitting outside all night when you activate the remote start it cranks the engine but will not start the car. I have dont the learn tach routine on it and it still does not work.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2012 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  
you have a weak battery. during crank check to see if the cluster shuts off. if it does the ecu resets and immobilizer codes seem different
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2012 at 3:17 AM / IP Logged  
X2 with both replies, do a drop test on the battery, if you don't know what this is any battery store should have the equipment, it loads the battery and the battery voltage shouldn't drop below 10 volts, you can do it yourself with a DMM across the battery terminals, the vehicle in park or neutral and apply a voltage to the starter motor, either directly or at the ignition switch for 10 seconds.
If there's a plug at the distributor, remove it then you can fire up the starter for the 10 seconds without the engine starting.
Also reprogram tach which is the only effective engine sense in cold climates so that you set the programming when the vehicle is running at 1200 RPM instead of idle.
Also if there's a tach sensitivity or hi lo, change the preset there as well.
One more thing, don't take the tach from the by-pass, wire directly to a blue plug, single blue wire taped to the engine bay loom adjacent to the suspension strut, not sure which side, it's on the right here (r/h/drive), or blue at the distributor or blue at the tach gauge.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 03, 2012 at 7:24 AM / IP Logged  
First step is to see if it's transponder related or not. Otherwise, you'll be chasing all around without knowing what to work on.
Wait until it gets cold enough that the car won't start. Reach under the dash and unplug the bypass. (Hopefully you put the bypass where you can reach it.) Insert a good key in the ignition (don't turn it on) and see if the remote starter works.
Also, where did you get power and ground for the PKH34? I recently had a 2002 Accord (not my install) with a KEY-OVERRIDE-ALL, and an Avital remote starter. Car had a junk battery. Remote starter would work fine if I put jumper cables from my personal car...take jumper cables away and bypass didn't get enough power.
I'm not sure if it was because of the customer's junk battery, or because the installer got power and ground from the Avital's data port, or a combination of both.
Regardless of what's wrong, your 9-year old car is probably at least on its second battery, and there's a good chance it's almost ready for a third. Pretty much any big-chain auto repair shop (Sears, Pep Boys, et cetera) will test your battery for free; it's a good idea no matter what.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 03, 2012 at 8:53 AM / IP Logged  
I have seen a few Halo type bypasses that would not start when cold. When it is cold, try repositioning the halo. I really have no idea if your bypass is a Halo type, but if it is, this should help.
roo-dog 
Copper - Posts: 124
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2012 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  
"I have done the learn tach routine"...   And the unit verified A valid tach signal and is in tachometer mode?    Or do you mean you initialized the virtual tach?   The virtual tach works on most new hondas but we see the older ones want a real tach or voltage sensing with extended crank time.   But it hangs the starter when it's not cold,   Could just be a tired battery.
(4)g5-1244, (4)gtr12, (2)ppipcx2400, (1)pcx4125, (1)pc4800.2, (3) pair mb quart 6.5"Q, (4)optimas, alumapro (1)5 and(1)15 farad cap, premier deh-p860mp, pioneer xm -dual H.O. alternators
fgarvey 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2012 at 6:53 AM / IP Logged  
I have changed the battery and i know the gauge cluster does not shut off when it is trying to remote start. If you put the key in the ignition it will start so I changed the bypass module thinking it was a faulty bypass and it still does the same thing in the cold weather. I am sure it is a bypass problem but I have no idea where to go from here.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2012 at 7:21 AM / IP Logged  
Try re-reading my post, especially the references to W2W the tach and increasing idle speed to 1200 whilst programming.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic