icon

5103 on ’01 navigator?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dubl0vert 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2012 at 7:51 AM / IP Logged  
Hi Guys! Long time trawller, first time poster. Thanks for creating such a great resource, the wiring diagrams and instructions on the install process on your site have been great.
Background: I'm installing an avital remote start/alarm on my wife's '01 Navigator with factory keyless. The first step of the install went well, I hooked up the basic funtions, siren, hoodpin, antenna, etc. and the first test went well! With the key in the ignition (but not turned) the truck fired right up! Alarm also arms with no indication of bypassing any zones.
Problem: Next step I installed a PKALL bypass kit to get around PATS, but I can't seem to get it programmed. It just shows me a steady red light. I go through the programming cycle but I see the "theft" light blink immediately when i try to remote start, and it never starts. I also have never gotten the 10 flash confirm that the pkall has programmed.
D2D for connector 1
Conn2 as follows
Pink to ignition (the wire i soldered to the ignition harness)
Blue/white to orange off the remote start relay
yellow/black to pink on the PATS wiring in the column
PURPLE / white to purple on the PATS wiring in the column
Any ideas why I can't program this thing? Can someone double check my wiring?
I feel like this car is beating me! Any help is welcome!
Pics to follow, they are too big so I need to chop them down to size.
Xtant 3300X
BA Pro Series
JL 10" Thumpers
dubl0vert 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2012 at 7:56 AM / IP Logged  
PATS wiring
5103 on ’01 navigator? -- posted image.
Xtant 3300X
BA Pro Series
JL 10" Thumpers
dubl0vert 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2012 at 8:01 AM / IP Logged  
Here is the remote start relay wiring, I wired the pkall to the orange for running status blue/white. BTW, just had one of the transponder keys made by the dealership, it says stratec, not ford....could that be an issue?
5103 on ’01 navigator? -- posted image.
Xtant 3300X
BA Pro Series
JL 10" Thumpers
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2012 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  
I don't have the PKALL install diagram, but my guess is that you have the wrong connection to the remote start relay harness. Most bypasses require the remote start status output (ground when running) connection. The way you have it right now it is connected to the (-) accessory output which loses its ground during crank... therefore your bypass is essentially shutting down when you need it the most. Change the connection to the blue wire from the harness instead of the orange and try programming again.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
offroadzj 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2012 at 9:10 AM / IP Logged  
Also, when you had the new key made did you bring them all of the keys you had? As far as I know, all keys need to be programmed at the same time. A quick simple test would be to make sure both keys will start AND run the vehicle for at least 30 seconds. If not then you need to get both keys re-programmed together.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2012 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  
blue/white from pkall connect that to BLUE (-) status output of the 5103 or BLUE/WHITE (-) second status/defogger output.
i find it easier to jump the igniton wire instead of remote starting, if you dont have tach programmed.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
dubl0vert 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2012 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  
offroadzj wrote:
I don't have the PKALL install diagram, but my guess is that you have the wrong connection to the remote start relay harness. Most bypasses require the remote start status output (ground when running) connection. The way you have it right now it is connected to the (-) accessory output which loses its ground during crank... therefore your bypass is essentially shutting down when you need it the most. Change the connection to the blue wire from the harness instead of the orange and try programming again.
Glad you mentioned that, I probed it with my DMM when running......but never checked it during cranking!! I'll change that up tonight.
Xtant 3300X
BA Pro Series
JL 10" Thumpers
offroadzj 
Posted: January 09, 2012 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  
Ted: Can't you also temporarily ground the wait to start wire and remote start for programming?
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
dubl0vert 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2012 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  
offroadzj wrote:
Also, when you had the new key made did you bring them all of the keys you had? As far as I know, all keys need to be programmed at the same time. A quick simple test would be to make sure both keys will start AND run the vehicle for at least 30 seconds. If not then you need to get both keys re-programmed together.
Keys both work fine, so I assume they will program fine too.
Xtant 3300X
BA Pro Series
JL 10" Thumpers
dubl0vert 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2012 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  
tedmond wrote:
blue/white from pkall connect that to BLUE (-) status output of the 5103 or BLUE/WHITE (-) second status/defogger output.
i find it easier to jump the igniton wire instead of remote starting, if you dont have tach programmed.
My tach is voltage programmed, I didn't need to run a lead to a coil harness. It auto set the first time I fired the remote start (with key in ignition but not turned to defeat PATS)
Does this mean I should do the 12 volt jumper to ignition (manually tranny method)?
Xtant 3300X
BA Pro Series
JL 10" Thumpers
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic