2009 honda ody touring viper 5904 issues

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ngooo 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2012 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  

Hi Folks,

I have an 2009 Honda Odyssey, and recently installed a viper 5904 with xpresskit DBALL.

I have tried virtual tach, tach (at injector) and now voltage sense.  The common thing was that it worked the majority of the time but had some periodic failures using all three types of starter detection.  I have tried replacing the battery.

What i have noticed is that it would usually remote start without any issues whenever i tried it in the morning.  The failures would normally occur if i drove it during the day and left it for an hour or so, and tried to remote start it.

I have the bitwriter, so when it failed with virtual tach, i would try to increase the fine tuning to add more time but it wouldn't work, but would start with the key.  when i had on tach sense, and it wasn't working i would try to incresase it to the max at 20, but it wouldn't crank over, but the key would work.  On voltage sense, it would work at 1.2 setting, but when it would fail, i would try to increase that to 2 secs, but still it wouldn't crank over.

Today when it wouldn't remote start, i hooked up the volt meter on the ignition line coming out of the viper 5904, it would show only 12-12.2 volts when i activate the R/S, but it wouldn't crank over.  i put the key in and start it, then turn it off.  I would reactivate the R/S, and the ignition wire would show 12.4 volts and the R/S would work.

In virtual/tach/voltage, when it would fail, it would attempt to start but never seemed like it had enough juice to turn it over.  Now i know that i am not getting enough voltage on the ignition line, what should i be checking for?  Since it is a new battery, could it be something to do with the starter or alternator?  Or should i look into getting a bigger battery?

offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2012 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  
Virtual tach is not reading an actual tach signal. From what I understand, it is just a more accurate voltage sensing. Program the unit for tach sensing, learn the tach signal, and that should fix your sensing issue.
However, it sounds like it may not necessarily be a tach sensing issue. There have been a lot of issues with new honda batteries dropping too much and causing the remote starts to shut down. Connect your DMM to the r/s ground input and the main 12v + input as close to the unit as you can get. Activate the remote start and see what you get for voltage drop.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
ngooo 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2012 at 6:44 AM / IP Logged  

I am the same guy with the 8 pages thread, just thought i would recap to paint the picture of what i think the problem is.

Already did the tach learning, learn it as high as 1800 RPM, and it still had the occasional fails.  It is definitely not the cranking time, as i switch to voltage sense and program it for a long 2 secs.  When it fails, i could set the crank time for as high as i want, there just isn't enough juice. 

I have already replaced the battery (spiral grid battery), voltage drop down to 10.Xvolts, lowest i have seen is the occasional 9.9volts.

The failure tends to occur usually when after driving, parking it for a couple of hours and trying to remote start.  It's like the battery doesn't get back to full power in that short time of rest.  Have never had a failure in the morning.   Starting to wonder if it is the new honda batteries that drops to much, or is it the honda system that causes the large drops?  It is not the crank times or tach signal, but the occasional insufficient battery causing my headaches.  Since the battery is only a couple of months old, i don't think that is it?  Wondering if i should run a power&ground line straight to the battery?  Or would those DEI battery backup packs be useful in this case? 

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2012 at 7:37 AM / IP Logged  
go back to the dealer and have the alternator tested to see if its still working properly. sounds like the battery isnt getting charged.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2012 at 9:03 AM / IP Logged  
I would agree, get the alternator tested. But even Low 10's, High 9 voltage seems to be a pretty big drop for that car. I could see it if it were a larger v8 engine maybe, but not on that...
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
itsyuk 
Silver - Posts: 505
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2012 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  
i would stick a battery charger on it for the 2 hours it off and then remove the charger and see if it starts. if it does every time, then you are on the right path with the battery/alt issues.
yuk
quiet rural missouri, near KC.
If your system moves you physically and not emotionally, you have wasted your money.
ngooo 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2012 at 6:39 AM / IP Logged  

tedmond wrote:
go back to the dealer and have the alternator tested to see if its still working properly. sounds like the battery isnt getting charged.

The more i think of it, the more sense it makes.  During the week, i never have the dvd player or heated seats on, and my drive to work is always long.  Never have a failure in the morning or during day, after leaving work.  The remote starts everytime.

On the weekend, we all load the van's system with the heated seats, navigation, and dvd player.  It will be a short 15-20 minute drive to the hockey rink.  When i come out an hour later, it is a hit and miss if the remote starter will work.  and when it doesn't work, i tried increase the crank time on the spot to 2 secs, and it still wouldn't work.  This is where i notice the voltage on the viper ignition wire is slightly a little too low to start it.  It will sit a around 12.1-12.2 volts.  After a few more unsuccessful attempts with the R/S, i'll put in my key and start it up, turn it off. I then try  to read the voltage again on the viper as i try to R/S, and the voltage is reading 12.4 everytime.  The key start somehow makes more voltage available to the R/S?

Somehow, when i load the system on the weekend, and go on a short drive, the battery can't fully charge everytime theory would make sense.  And this is where it gets me, it so intermittent, just wondering if the alternator test will show a good test and i still might need to replace it if i want the R/S to work everytime.  Will have to schedule appointment with the dealership soon.

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2012 at 7:56 AM / IP Logged  
it could be bypass related as well. If the vehicle fails to start one day via remote start, place a key into the ignition cylinder in the off position and try the RS. If it starts everytime, there is a bypass issues.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
ngooo 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2012 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged  
good tip, will definitely try that on the next fail.
blkrhyno 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2012 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry bring this back up but did you ever figure this out ? I have the same issue with my 5902, it starts every single time I start it in the morning or evening when leaving work but never when I go for a short drive. I think because I program the tach when the car was cold that it only starts when the engine is cold. I was thinking of programing the tach when the car is warm but I was afraid it wouldn't start when the car is cold, anyone experienced this ? My tach is hard wired @ injector by the way.
Protect what's yours.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic