icon

2001 honda civic ex

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2012 at 5:31 AM / IP Logged  
4002 and 4004 are both 1 amp power handling diodes, 04 has a higher "inverse" voltage handling capacity and is therefore safer with relays, when a relay shuts down (turned off) you get a "spike" of about 200 volts and this can fry unprotected devices such as alarms, R/S units.
4004 now appears to be the standard and is the default stock item in Radio Shack etc.
littlenicky1 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2012 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  
All right thanks for the info, if I have extra diodes should I put them in between all the wires like the wires from the main power harness or is that unnecessary?
Also, the installation manual say that if your car is running over 24 amps you should add an extra fuse next to the one that came in line with the power wires. I have a stereo system running like 80 amps so that would mean I would want to add the second fuse right? In the picture they have both the fuses with 15 amps fuses to replace the 30 amp fuse amp. Because I am running 80 amps just one the stereo does than mean I need to use two 40 amp fuses or should I stick with the two 15s?
As well, in my honda civic I can only find one power wire that comes from the ignition switch harness and when I look on line all I can find is info that also says there is only one. Does this means I should connect both the wires that require power from the alarm to the same single power wire right?
I look forward to hearing from you and always appreciate the help.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2012 at 2:38 AM / IP Logged  
Diodes only where shown, e.g. signalling wires,GWA orange etc.
No just use the fuseholders provided connected to the white ignition feed.
WTH has your amp to do with this anyway?
You power that from the battery with a fuse within 4" of the battery.
littlenicky1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2012 at 8:15 AM / IP Logged  
Ok so I will just stick with the 30 amp in line fuses it came with and run the both to the white power line. When would you want to split them like the manual gave an example of with using two 15's? Also, just to clarify that the stereo is a whole different line with its own fuse and I should not worry about that while connected the alarm.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2012 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  
Do NOT use anything lower than the fuses provided, where on earth does this 2 x 15 amps rather than one x 30 come from?
2 x 15 amps = 15 amps!
Your head unit has 2 fuses 7.5 in the engine bay fuses box marked memory or back-up and one in the passenger fusebox, marked either radio or audio, I believe 10amps.
Nothing to do with alarm or R/S, I've never even removed a head unit on any Honda during alarm-R/S work.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2012 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  
Engine bay fuse box, F17 10 amps, fascia fuse box, F23 7.5 amps.
littlenicky1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2012 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  
http://audiovox2.info/docs/common/SS6900/SS6900_IM.pdf
On page 6 it has a picture of splitting the 12volt power line's amp from a 30 to two 15s. I thought that would actually lower the amperage and was confused on what the purpose of that was.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2012 at 12:08 AM / IP Logged  
I do apologise, somewhere along this long and winding road I made the incorrect assumption you were using DEI product which requires 30 amp fuses.
Apologies, 15 amp fuses as shown are fine, the diagram is confusing and should look like this:- avox.bmp
littlenicky1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2012 at 4:38 AM / IP Logged  
Ok so because I am running all the accessories I just need to replace the 30 amp fuse for a 15 and then just attach the two wires from the alarm together then run a wire to the white and I'm done with that part right? Thanks for your pictures to they really help me understand whats going on.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2012 at 5:58 AM / IP Logged  
Again no!
Separate fuses please!
You're running different things, if you had a short a single 80 amps wouldn't help.
Every time any manufacture lists separate fuses such as a car having one for hazards, another for dome light you follow it for a reason.
Car electrics 101.
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic