icon

advice on remote start dodge ram

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jcnance 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2012 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  
Hello I'm new here, but I thought if anybody could help out on this topic it would be the people at this forum. Anyways on to my problem, I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel, automatic. and I have verified with the dealer using my vin that the truck has no sentry system installed at all on the truck , so I believe no need for the bypass part.
I have installed the python 5104, I also went ahead and ran the two relays for the lock/unlock, and the diode's to isolate the door triggers. Everything seems to be working great. The lock/unlock works fine for the remote, and once I alarm the truck all the doors trigger the alarm just as they are suppose to. Accept for the remote start.
First off there are a few connections that I'm unsure of on the remote start. I put * by all the ones I'm unsure of, the quick reference install guide didn't do a very good job of explaining what these control. Also when I go to try and get the unit in valet mode the , following the instructions the system never chirps when holding the valet controller button.The valet controller is flashing 3 times, and when I hit the remote start button the parking lights falsh 6 times.
H2/1 200ma ignition/Flex relay control output- Dark blue 16awg / at the ignition harness
**Neutral Safety Switch H2/2- I have read I can just ground this , but unsure, because the system also comes with a separate switch with it own harness that it calls a neutral safety switch in the diagram, that says has to be plugged in and switched on.
H2/3 (-)200ma 2nd status/rear defogger output= not used
H2/4 (-)200ma OEM Alarm disarm output= not used(no oem alarm)
H2/5(-)200ma trunk release output= not used (no trunk)
H2/6 (-) Door trigger input= hooked up and working properly
H2/7(-)200ma dome light output= hooked up and working properly
H2/8(-)200ma horn honk output=hooked up and working properly
**H2/9 (-)ma status output= not hooked up (unsure)
H2/10(-)200ma Ignition 1 output= RED / White wire 16Awg/at Ignition harness
H2/11 (-)200ma Aux 3 output Not used
H2/12 (+) door trigger input= not used( door triggers off a (-) input
H2/12 (-) 200 ma aux 1 output= Not used
H2/14 (-) 200ma Aux 2 output= not used
H2/15 (-)200ma Aux 4 output= not used
H2/16 (+) Brake shutdown Input= WHITE/ tan wire/on brake pedal
**H2/17 (-) hood pin input= not hooked up/not sure if these needs a ground or if i can leave it not hooked up?
**H2/18 (-) 200ma stater output= not hooked up( not sure about this one)
H2/19(-) trunk pin= not hooked up
**H2/20= (-)Diesel wait to start= not hooked up/ shows I can't use the wait to start wire/ timer has to be used( does this wire still need to be hooked up?)
**H2/21(-) remote start/turbo timer activation input= not hooked up ( not sure about this)
H2/22(-) 200ma accessory output= not hooked up
H2/23 tachometer input= white green wire at ECM/ Crank sensor wire
H2/24(-)200ma OEM Alarm output= not used/ no oem alarm
REMOTE START
H3/1(+) ignition 1 input/output= Blue 16 Awg wire/ignition harness
H3/2(+) 12vdc constant input for ignition 2 and flex relays= pink/Black wire/ignition harness/verified 12 volts constant
H3/3(+) accessory output= GREEN/ orange wire/Ignition harness
H3/4 (+) starter output Yellow wire/ignition harness to starter
H3/5 (+) starter Input= yellow wire/ignition harness to key side
H3/6 (+) 12 volts constant for ignition 1 relay=RED / WHITE/ Ignition harness/ verified 12 volts constant
H3/7 (+) Ignition 2/Flex relay output=red wire/ignition harness
**H3/8 (+) Flex Relay Input 87a key side( if required of flex relay= not sure?
H3/9(+) 12 volts constant input for Acc and starter relays=BLACK/ orange wire ignition harness/ verified 12 volts
H3/10 =not used
Thanks for any input you might have!!
rjkboyle 
Copper - Posts: 97
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2012 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
H2/2 NSS - Just ground it.
The switch it comes with is seperate, plug it in and leave it On.
H2/9 - Leave this unconnected, its used when you have a key bypass.
H2/10 - This is wrong, disconnect this wire. This wire is used to power a relay for another ignition 1 wire. (Could be why you can't remote start)
H2/17 - Leave unhooked, when this sees ground alarm will go off.
H2/18 - Leave unhooked, used to power another starter wire using a relay.
H2/20 - Leave unhooked, just use a delay before starting.
H2/21 - Leave unhooked, don't need this.
H3/8 - Dont need. leave unhooked.
Everything else looks okay make sure you have learned the tach, and have it set to Automatic mode. Also look to see what 6 flashes are?
But before doing anything I would disconnect H2/10
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2012 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  

Are you trying to run two accessory wires from the ONE (orange H3/3), from the remote start? If so you need to disconnect one and use H2/22  to drive a relay for the second accessory.

Six flashes from the parking lights is hood pin is active

When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
rjkboyle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2012 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  
"Are you trying to run two accessory wires from the ONE (orange H3/3), from the remote start? If so you need to disconnect one and use H2/22 to drive a relay for the second accessory."
This is true, when doing a similar truck I only powered one of the Acc wires, and left the other one (that powers the stereo) unconnected. As I rather not have the stereo on when the truck is remote started.
jcnance 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2012 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all the good Intel . I'm gonna go make a few changes now, I'll report by and let you know how it goes.
jcnance 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2012 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  
If 6 flashes is hood pin open, and I deside not to hook this up can I just ground it?
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2012 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  
It is a safety feature and should be connected. Not connecting it will allow the car to possibly remote start while someone is working around the engine and cause physical harm. However if you would like to test the unit without the hood pin connected (with plans on connecting it shortly after) then you can leave it disconnected.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
jcnance 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2012 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
Yes I'm going to hook it up, but just wanted to get every thing work first then go back and make everything look pretty.
I just made all the changes, and I believe I had it wrong before its not flashing 6 times its flashing 7 times. Any ideas as to what 7 flashes means?
rjkboyle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2012 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  
I think 7 times means that the shutdown procedure hasn't been performed. (Going from memory)
You need to do manual car shutdown procedure.
I believe you start the car with the key. Then press the remote start button on the key fob. Turn the key off (car stays on). Exit the car, shut the door. Then lock the car, the car will shut off at this point.
Now you can try remote starting.
Did you learn the tach wire? Set the brain to tach mode in programming, and set it to automatic mode by programming?
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2012 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  
7 flashes means you have the unit programmed from manual transmission mode but the unit was not activated for manual transmission start. If the truck is auto, go in and change the programming to turn MTS off
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic