the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

08 altima, autostart as 2381tw fm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2012 at 6:07 AM / IP Logged  

At least a half hour, I'm a slow typist.  I'm still soaking my fingers in Epsom salts right now.  08 altima, autostart as 2381tw fm - Page 2 -- posted image.

Thanks for the assist and confirmations!  One thing I might be confused on and should be cleared up by the OP.

Is this Altima an Auto Trans or Manual Trans vehicle?  I missed it if you already mentioned it.

It is important because it determines which ADS AL(DL) NI5 install Type you follow.  Type 1 = Auto, Type 2 = Manual.

Soldering is fun!
unterstrom 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2012 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks to both of you for the answers.
Was very helpful.
Called Autostart about the PTS question and got that clarified.
Have to call them one more time though about positive Ext. Trigger being programmed to act as negative Trunk input and loosing Key sense in the process. Apparently I have to choose between those two.
Otherwise I think I am ready to get started.
By the way, I can see somebody post a question shortly before midnight. But answering a question around/after midnight...
That's some dedication. Hats off to you.
unterstrom 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2012 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  

So I got started last night. Hooked up a couple wires, lost some bolts. Going ok I guess. However I can't find the arm and disarm wires in the drivers side harness. What's the procedure (using a DMM) to check for them?

One complaint to nobody  in particular: why are the wires at the R/S so much heavier compared to the ones in the car? Not fun trying to solder them in an ackward position.08 altima, autostart as 2381tw fm - Page 2 -- posted image.

kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2012 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  

Guess I'm confused.  According to the ADS AL(DL) NI5 Type 1 install instructions / diagram, the optional Arm and

Disarm connections are made at the BCM.  The BCM is conveniently hidden behind the instrument cluster.    08 altima, autostart as 2381tw fm - Page 2 -- posted image. 
However, here is a note from Page 9 of the install guide :

ARM/DISARM WARNING:

1-THE MODULE DOES NOT CONTROL THE OEM ALARM ARM BY DATA.
2-THE MODULE DOES CONTROL THE OEM ALARM DISARM BY DATA.
(IGNITION WILL TURN ON AND OFF ONCE)

TO VOID THE OEM ALARM CONTROL BY DATA:

1-CONNECT ARM/LOCK FROM THE RS TO THE BCM
2-CONNECT DISARM/UNLOCK FROM THE RS TO THE BCM
3-CONNECT MODULE PURPLE / YELLOW WIRE TO GROUND

What this means :

The ADS AL CA bypass module flashed with ADS AL(DL) NI5 firmware will disarm the Factory alarm system with an

Ignition and transponder bypass pulse ( with an Unlock command from the R/S ).  It won't arm the Factory alarm
system thru CAN data.  You would control the arming of the Factory alarm by pressing the Lock button on the
door as you exit the vehicle ( or use the Factory FOB Lock button ).  This is the standard install method and
requires no connections to the BCM ( top paragraph above and standard wiring shown in Type 1 diagram ).

If you want to control the Factory alarm system differently, you must make the necessary connections noted in the

second paragraph above ( and shown as optional on the Type 1 install diagram ).  This method bypasses the ADS module
and disables it from controlling the locks and Disarm thru CAN data.  The R/S would directly interface the vehicle
for Lock/Arm and Unlock/Disarm.

As for the thick R/S ignition wires, remember the aftermarket R/S system are made to work on wide variety of

vehicles.  While some newer vehicles have thin ignition wires older vehicles do not and can draw 30 Amps.

Soldering is fun!
unterstrom 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2012 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  
Might be just me, but I can't find the arm and disarm wires and the front left door pin wire in the driver side kick panel. Does somebody have a picture of the exact location/wire bundle or maybe describe accurately where they are.
Would be great.
unterstrom 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2012 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  

I took out the main door switch. Found two sets of blue-red and blue-black wires. One set is thin gauge, the other is heavier gauge. How can I determine which set is rearm/disarm?

unterstrom 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2012 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  

Another question: I read somewhere that it's possible to connect power windows up/down to power lock/unlock. And when you press and hold the unlock button on the remote the windows would be lowered. Same for holding lock and raising the window. I guess the remote continues emitting a pulse as long as the button is depressed.

Is that true?

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 23, 2012 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
The arm/disarm wires in the doors should be thin gauge, but test to verify. They should rest at 5vdc (they will have to be plugged in) and should go to 0vdc when the key is turned in the drivers door key cylinder to the lock and unlock positions respectively.
Kevin Pierson
unterstrom 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2012 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the quick response Kevin. Found the wires no problem. Window down when activating unlock works, but window up when locking doesn't.
Does anybody know why I can't get my autostart as-2381 to enter programming mode. I think it did the very first time, but I ran out off time. After that, nothing. I made sure the R/S wasn't in valet mode, still no luck.
unterstrom 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2012 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  
Question about the ADS bypass: the instructions mention something about verifying the model year without going into detail about it. Am I missing something?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic