the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

timed 12v relay for power folding steps

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2012 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  

The plot thickens...

Don't think you could just apply +12V to the extend wire to extend the step.  It
would blow a fuse.  Test the two motor wires to see if they rest at ground.  If they do
you would have to connect the relays in to the circuit in the 5 wire mode.   As follows :

Relay Pin 85 to TR-7 3 second output

Relay Pin 86 and 87 to +12V constant fused accordingly
Relay Pin 87A to controller side of cut Extend wire
Relay Pin 30 to motor side of cut Extend wire

Each relay would be similar.

As for the door triggers, most vehicles only have a trigger wire that is a simple pin switch.

When the door is open, it provides a ground signal (-).  When the door is closed it provides
no signal ( an open ).  I don't have the wiring for a 2007 Escalade to be able to see if your
information is correct with different wires supplying both a door open signal and another wire
supplying a door closed signal and their actual, respective, polarity.  Something else to test
and verify.

Soldering is fun!
lvintegra 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2012 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
So I should have explained this earlier, the controller will not exist on my setup. That wiring diagram is how it works from the factory, since mine didn't come with the power option all I have is the running boards, mounts and motors. The motors do have those 5 wires coming off it as indicated in the diagram, but the controller is what I am trying to create with the relays etc.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2012 at 6:29 AM / IP Logged  

Ok, so all you have is the folding step assy mounted to each side of the vehicle with the 5 wires in

a harness sticking out of each one ( not connected to anything )?

Additionally, as a test, on the left side you connected +12V to the Orange motor wire and ground to

the Gray motor wire ( for 3 seconds ) and got the step to extend.  Then, you reversed the battery
leads ( +12V to Gray and ground to Ornage ) and got the step to retract.

Is all the above correct?

Soldering is fun!
lvintegra 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2012 at 9:07 AM / IP Logged  
kreg357 wrote:

Ok, so all you have is the folding step assy mounted to each side of the vehicle with the 5 wires in

Additionally, as a test, on the left side you connected +12V to the Orange motor wire and ground to

the Gray motor wire ( for 3 seconds ) and got the step to extend.  Then, you reversed the battery

Yes, all I have is the folding step assy mounted to each side of the vehicle with the 5 wires in a harness sticking out of each one (not connected to anything)

I actually do not physically have this in my possession (is in shipping to me) so I have not been able to test orange / grey wire you suggest above. I am going off what information I could get off other members attempting to make this work and knowledge I have from reading on the subject.

I know testing the scenario you lay it will determine how to ultimately make it work and sorry for not being able to provide this information just yet. Once I receive them, I will run the scenario you lay out above and will also test the door triggers for open / close to see if they are indeed postitive or a negative open close door pin as you mentioned previously

lvintegra 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2012 at 9:18 AM / IP Logged  
Also I believe in the diagram (for the left side) only the Grey and Orange wires control the extend / retract functions. I believe, but cannot 100% confirm, that the other 3 wires (tan yellow pink) run to a safety sensor that is setup to identify if the steps hit something to automatically shut down, which is a function I do not care to have with doing the retrofit. The diagram identifies the motor as M circled, and I believe the motor ground is simply it being bolted to the frame and the 2 wires control the function independently, but I will know more when I can actually physically test that theory
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2012 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
Motor ground won't be the bolt to the frame for technical as well as obvious, i.e. bolt loosens.
No, you will have two motor wires they sit on ground at rest then follow what Kregg told you. Look at this diagram:- motor_wiring.bmp
This applies to every motor in a car except the starter and AC compressor which have one live and ground through the bodywork.
But then they are only going in one direction.
lvintegra 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2012 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  

So I agree with your position on the motor wiring, would have a pos/neg for one function then switch neg/pos per say and the motor reverses.

After doing some more reading on the AMP steps (which operate like factory) the door triggers are most definitely negative ground door pin setups as Kreg mentioned earlier.

lvintegra 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2012 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  
kreg357 wrote:

So to correct the prior 3 posts, YES KREG ALL THE ABOVE IS CORRECT.....sorry guys, learning as I go. This is VERY informative and I think I'm starting to catch on

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 04, 2012 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
What are you planning on using for the "trigger open" and "trigger close"? I read you mention the door pin, but most vehicles only have one door pin.
Kevin Pierson
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2012 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  
Easy Kevin gets some Ford NC switches and spends six months trying to mount them inside the doors.
Page of 8

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic