icon

passat/dball woes

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tkellogg 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2013 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
I just installed a Viper 5904 in a 2004 Passat with the dball with the vwaudi firmware. The dball completes the programming just fine and I get the solid green light, turn off the ignition to end programming and thats as far as I can get. Nothing works via the remote other than r/s and that only works with the key in or next to the ignition. the lights flash on lock and unlock, but the locks dont do anything. I am using it in d2d mode so that should all work via CAN bus, correct? I'm not completely sure on the dball, I've done quite a few installs on VWs with the 556 but never a dball, My previous Passat didn't utilize CAN bus so I've never needed to mess with it. Any suggestions are much appreciated. I have reflashed the dball but to no avail.
TIA, Troy
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2013 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  
Thats odd, its pretty much the only module I use with VW any more due to it being just about bullet proof for me. Do you have the lights hooked up off the r/s or is it the dball flashing them? I am just wondering cause that will help determine if the RS is actually communicating with the DBALL, also does the light on the dball do anything on remote start?
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
tkellogg 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2013 at 7:45 AM / IP Logged  
The lights are hooked up via the R/S. The light on the dball flashes green when running via R/S, no lights when started with key. It also flashes green once on lock and twice on unlock. For and install diagram I used the PDF guide from xpreskits website, in the guide there are 4 different install types, I used install type 3 with just the CAN bus wires connected and the harness from the R/S to the dball. From everything I can find this should be working 100%, but I get nothing on the locks, door triggers, rear hatch, and I get the immo activated warning light on R/S.
I've also checked the CAN bus in the car with VAG-GOM just to make sure that system was all working correctly, no errors and all output tests worked fine.
I didn't see anything in either manual about needing to change any settings to enable D2D communications, so I would assume that it is already set and should just be plug and play, correct?
Thanks for the reply too, any info at this point is helpful.
tkellogg 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2013 at 8:04 AM / IP Logged  
Also, is the bypass done via CAN bus with out needing a spare key in the car at all? this part is a little vague in the install manual. There is an RF port on the dball but I didn't get an RF loop with the unit.
Thanks again, Troy
Ravendarat 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2013 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  
You still need to sacrifice a key regardless, no one has a crack for VW keys yet thats published. Where did you hook up to the can wires? You NEED the set coming out of the door boot. It DOES matter.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Ravendarat 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2013 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  
To make the rf loop just take the door lock harness from the viper, move the blue wire to the spot right beside the green wire and cut the last spot of the plug off. Now you have a two pin that fits into the dball. wrap your key and then wrap the column and connect the wires and plug it into the dball and your key wrap is all done.
tkellogg 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2013 at 4:17 AM / IP Logged  
I've got it on the pair listed in the dball manual. Orange plug at drivers kick panel. So for the key wrap the wire goes from either one of the two pins on the dball, around the key a couple of times then up to the rf ring on the immobilizer, connect the other end to the other wire? I've still got a bunch of old two pin LED and valet switches, those should work for the key wrap too I would think right?
tkellogg 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2013 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, so I had a chance to play around with this again and I'm still not getting anything from the dball. I've checked the connections, re-flashed it, reprogrammed it and it still isn't working. I get the green light to come on when programming, flashing green when running with the remote start, one flash for lock and two for unlock but the doors don't lock or unlock and no door triggers. I'm about to give up on it and skip the dball and just put in the 556u. I thought the dball would make the installation faster, so far it's been one big headache!
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2013 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  

Don't do many VW's but with the iDatalink modules, they specifically say the vehicle must have "electric windows" for the modules' CAN functions to work.

The other thing I noticed and it might just be a change between the model years, but here is a photo of the CAN wires in the DKP from a 2002 Passat and the plug is Yellow, not Orange.  The CAN wire colors are the same.

passat/dball woes -- posted image.

Soldering is fun!
tkellogg 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2013 at 7:45 AM / IP Logged  
I've got power windows and locks. I don't think I've ever seen a B5.5 generation without them actually, even my no frills 2000 has them. The plug changes color slightly from year to year but it's between a burnt orange and yellow on all the ones that I've seen. I did a scan with VAG-COM, a third party diagnostics program for VW/Audi and didn't get any errors on the CAN bus. I'm loading the firmware in the dball via the web interface on the xpresskit website using an xkloader2. The firmware I'm using is 401.VWAUDI 2.03.04. If D.E.I. had older firmware I'd try it, but they'll only allow download of the latest one and even that seems to be a P.I.T.A.
I tried the key wrap suggested by Ravendarat but I think that only applies to newer VWs, I still got an immo error on the dash with it set up like that. I've got a couple of the 556u and 556uw units so I think I'll just go with one of those for now since this seems to be a wash.
I was really hoping to be able to use the dball to eliminate cutting into more wires and leaving a much cleaner install.
Thanks for the input thus far though. Much appreciated.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic