2004 WJ Jeep Grand Cherokee, Viper 5704

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
reopfd4mwtnmq77 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2014 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
Hello!
I have a Viper 5704 and DBALL2 module I am installing into my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. To start I am trying the D2D cable between the remote starter and the DBALL2 instead of the W2W approach.
I am using the following diagram from the DBALL2 documentation as a guide. According to this documentation, because I am using the D2D wire, all connections pictured with the dashed lines can be ignored.
DBALL Install Diagram (connection in question in pink): 2004 WJ Jeep Grand Cherokee, Viper 5704 -- posted image.
I have 3 wires related to IGNITION 1:
  1. H3/1 PINK: (+) IGNITION 1 INPUT/OUTPUT on the 10 pin heavy gague connector for the remote starter
  2. 2. 17 PINK: (-) 200mA IGNITION 1 OUTPUT on the 24 pin aux/shutdown/trigger connector for the remote starter
  3. 3. 9 PINK: (+) IGNITION INPUT on connector #10 of the DBALL2
The DBALL2 shows #3 above on the DBALL2 connected to "(+) Starter Output" on the remote starter, and that connection T'd off into the heavy gauge ignition wire in the ignition harness on the steering column.
I'm posting here because I'm not sure what connections to make.
  1. Am I supposed to connect #1 and #3 from above? If so, this is a heavy 12gauge wire and a small 18 gaugue wire; is something special needed to make this connection? The viper docs specifically state "NEVER connect 200mA low current outputs directly ro a motor or high current device WITHOUT a relay".
  2. Where, if anywhere, is #2 above connected into this?
I'm not sure if I'm supposed to
a) connect all 3
b) connect #2 and #3 together and separately connect #1 to the Jeep
c) ignore #2 and connect #1 and #3 somehow
d) something altogether different.
Any help is appreciated. The documentation PDFs are below:
  1. DBALL2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e76livfgzz85t4q/dball-dball2-chrysler2_en_ig_cp20131211%20%281%29.pdf
  2. Viper 5704: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7obxe9enpbu25n/Viper_5704_Installation.pdf
  3. null
bs1d3 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2014 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  
For ignition, just splice your small gauge pink wire on the dball to the heavy guage pink ignition wire on the remote starter, and run that to the ignition wire in the vehicle. The negative ignition 1 output will not be used.
For starter, just take your purple starter wire on the viper unit and tie it straight to the starter wire in the vehicle. As long as your using d2d of course.
You will be fine using the heavy gauge wires on the lighter ignition wires in the vehicle as long as your connections are solid and secured. Do the same with your heavy gauge orange accessory wire. If your really worried about it you could solder in the some smaller gauge wiring and run that to your ignition switch as well, it does make it look a lot cleaner.
reopfd4mwtnmq77 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2014 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for, and confirms what kreg357 posted here (I found this since posting)
bs1d3 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2014 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  
Glad to help. Hope ya get it going!
reopfd4mwtnmq77 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2014 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
I have finished wiring the Viper 5704 and DBALL2 into the Jeep. I then
1. Connected the battery
2. Plugged the D2D into the DBALL2 (the light was solid red)
3. Put the key in the ignition
4. Turned the key to ON. (DBALL2 went through expected light sequence)
I then attempted to remote start the Jeep.
I got 7 flashes from the parking lights. The diagnostic section says this means "Timer mode/Turbo mode/Manual mode error - Timer mode error: Ignition is on or shutdown input is active when activating timer mode. Turbo mode error: Turbo mode is programmed off, engine is not on or shutdown input is active. Manual mode error: MTS mode not enabled"
I don't have a turbo, the transmission is automatic and in park, and the ignition was off (keys in my hand).
What should I check next?
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2014 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  
Are you sure its not 8 flashes instead? Sometimes it can be kinda hard to count.
Did you hook up the brake wire? And did you hook up or ground the neutral safety wire?
reopfd4mwtnmq77 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2014 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  
I had 7 flashes. I then realized I had to charge the usb remote and use the valet/control button on the antenna to switch the remote start feature from manual to automatic transmission mode.
I am now getting 8 flashes "Neutral safety wire has no ground or he neutral safety switch is off".
The neutral safety switch is plugged in and set to ON. I actually don't have the 24pin H2 connector plugged into the viper 5704 at all as (up until now) it seemed no others were needed for the D2D install.
Should I plug this connector in and ground the "H2/13: (-) NEUTRAL SAFETY / PARKING BRAKE INPUT" wire where I have grounded the "H1/2: (-) CHASSIS GROUND" ?
howie (aka: harryharris)
Silver - Posts: 355
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2014 at 1:49 AM / IP Logged  
YES! BLACK/ white on 24 pin needs to be grounded.
Test before boxing up.
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2014 at 6:27 AM / IP Logged  
And connect the brown wire on the H2 harness to the brake pedal switch like I said before. Sometimes you dont need to when using a Dball or something similar. But if you look at the install sheet you posted above for the Dball, it doesnt say it picks up the brake pedal wire.
howie (aka: harryharris)
Silver - Posts: 355
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2014 at 6:46 AM / IP Logged  
Often the case with DB-ALL D2D installs, there's nearly always the odd circuit it won't recognise.
I once made the serious mistake of leaving the 24 pin plug at home, you can imagine the fun having to solder the BLACK/ white and the WHITE/ blue (wanted defrost)directly to the DB-ALL board outside in the street.
Test before boxing up.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic