the12volt.com spacer
icon

Car Stalls After Starting, Python 1400xp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
darinus 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2014 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote darinus
Hi guys, sorry I haven't responded yet, I stopped getting email alerts for replys.
Anyway, I did the tach relearn, I set it to sense voltage, and I also used the setting to "off" the only difference with that is that the time the starter engages.
All of the ignition wires are energized and have the same voltage (until stall out) during remote start or by using the key.
I will try to rev the engine tomorrow morning and see if that has any effect on it.
I was told that the it could by a problem with the ignition switch in the car itself? I tried wiggling the wires both at the switch and at the firewall and it didn't help.
Not sure where else to check. I pulled up an egr engine code and a tcc solenoid code, those are new, so I assume they are not related, but I figured Id mention it.
Thanks again,
Dave
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2014 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tedmond
darinus wrote:
if the key is turned to the on position the rs will start and the car will run perfectly. Once the key is turned off the car stalls out again.
you definitely missed an ignition wire. this particular vehicle has 3 ignition wires. PINK, PINK/WHITE, PURPLE / WHITE all (+)
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 639
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2014 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
tedmond wrote:
this particular vehicle has 3 ignition wires. PINK, PINK/WHITE, PURPLE / WHITE all (+)
It's no different than other 90's GM's.
PINK
PINK/WHT OR WHITE
ORANGE (can be treated as an accy) Is needed for electric cooling fans and HVAC.
BROWN ACCY (radio) (and windows in the Buick)
Pur is a starter circuit in GM's. I've never seen purple as an IGN circuit in any GM. Always starter. There is a pur/white "crank signal" in many 90's era GM's, but it is fused, and energized by the big pur wire at the IGN switch. No action needed for RS installation.
The OP stated that they system worked fine for years, and this is a new condition. I agree that one of the IGN isn't powered (probably the white or pnk/wht, as that is the passkey), causing the problem.
If I read the OP correctly, this isn't an installation error, it's a malfunction.
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 639
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2014 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
Will it RS and run with the key in the ignition, in the OFF position?
Did it learn the tach when you did the tach learn?
96 Riviera's have Passkey. Is that bypass intact?
TCC solenoid code may be related. There are codes that set if the state on the solenoid control line doesn't match what the ECM is commanding. If there is no power to the trans (white wire), the solenoid state will be 0-volt, but the ECM expects it to be 12V because the ECM is not commanding the solenoid on.
There's some more ideas. If both units do the same thing, I'd begin to suspect the passkey bypass.
darinus 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2014 at 8:08 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote darinus
Good morning,
Correct, the RS worked perfectly fine for a few years.
The passkey is bypassed with a resistor. When I disconnect that resistor, the engine wont start. I when I reconnect it, the engine starts again ans stalls out. I don't think the Passkey stops a running engine and if it did, the engine should shut off, not slowly stall out, so we can assume that the Passkey is not the issue.
Both units have shutdown diagnostics, and they both show a condition of Low voltage. I redid the tach learn. When the car used to start up, there was no Tach wire connected. I since connected it to the Fuel injector wire and still have the same issue.
Back to the ignition switch, anyway this could be faulty and cause the RS not to get enough current to run the car, but runs okay when switched?
darinus 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2014 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote darinus
Still haven't figured out the problem. Anyone have any other ideas?
dcman41 
Copper - Posts: 211
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2014 at 7:29 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dcman41
I know this sounds dumb, but check the value of the resistor, and make sure its within tolerance. A failed resistor will cause this problem. Car Stalls After Starting, Python 1400xp - Page 2 -- posted image.
darinus 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2014 at 9:39 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote darinus
Thanks for the diagram. I will check it out tonight. Would you happen to know what the tolerance should be for the GM key?
dcman41 
Copper - Posts: 211
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2014 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dcman41
its different for every car i believe. In that diagram it shows you how to measure and retrieve the correct resistance.
johnny t 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2014 at 1:03 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote johnny t
Have you checked the system ground wire? Is it securely screwed in to bare metal in the vehicle's kick panel?
Have you left the DMM on the power wires to measure system voltage as the vehicle begins to die?
Don't be a lemming...
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic